Ladies: Gloves or no gloves?

Options
I know some boys have said if you're going to wear gloves, better find a purse to match. I already carry a bag so I'm set.

I'm also not worried about calluses. I actually love mine--consider them my war wounds. What I am concerned about is that my hands are hurting LONG before my legs on deadlifts, and way before my shoulders/lats on pull-ups/lat pulldowns.

Would gloves help me, if so, anyone has a fave brand? If not, how do I strengthen my hands?

Replies

• LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm a gloves girl, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. The hurting hands and callouses annoy me, my gloves really help. Since getting them my callouses have all but gone.

....And yes, they have pink on them. :tongue:
  • Asmdavis
    Asmdavis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Gloves, I do not want rough hands... oh and they are also pink :)
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Gloves. Definitely.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and get the gloves. I have no problem with callouses... I do pole, and that gives me plenty of callouses. But I wear gloves for lifting to protect my hands anyway. I have the Gold's Gym brand, nothing fancy.
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    Mine are pink too :) ya gloves.... im not there to impress anyone and who cares when I deadlift more than the guys around me :P
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Once my deadlifts hit 140-150 they started to pinch my callouses, and I bought gloves.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I use gloves, no pink though. In addition to calluses they help stuff from slipping, like if I am doing pushups on the floor etc. The pair I have has an extra wide wrist strap for added support.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yeah gloves, similarly to you without them I can't do as high a weight due to grip rather than muscle weekness. I don't want to have to pansy around until my hands toughen up! To be honest I don't really want them to toughen up anyway. Go the gloves.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I liked my calluses until one day, deadlifting ripped them right out of my palms. OUCH. Been wearing gloves ever since.

Mine are black with ugly patterns on them. Don't like the design, but it was the ONLY pair at the store that fit my hands.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Mine are black and blue.... It started to get to the point where my hands would bleed... and I don't want that at all so I bought some simple Gold's Gym gloves.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    bump. Interested to see if anyone posts no gloves. I am considering buying gloves because my grip wears out before my body does, but when I mentioned something to my husband about buying gloves he made a face and said "you don't need those". I don't normally listen to him but he's giving me a complex. lol.
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wear 'em too! and again they have PINK on them!! :laugh: got mine from the sporting chain store that will get blanked if I type it cuz it sounds like male anatomy (rhymes with PICKS) LOL
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I have some Under Armour and some Nike gloves, I prefer the UA, I'm a makeup artist so my hands are in people's faces all day, I need them to look pretty.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    bump. Interested to see if anyone posts no gloves. I am considering buying gloves because my grip wears out before my body does, but when I mentioned something to my husband about buying gloves he made a face and said "you don't need those". I don't normally listen to him but he's giving me a complex. lol.
    Just get them, then when you are lifting more than him politely suggest he get some to to help him out :P
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Mine are pink too :) ya gloves.... im not there to impress anyone and who cares when I deadlift more than the guys around me :P

Word.
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options
    I don't want to have to pansy around until my hands toughen up!

Yeah. I was getting pretty frustrated cuz I KNOW I can lift more, but my little hands hurt! Bah!
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I always wear my black gloves. I don't lift without them.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I don't wear gloves.

I have grip issues with deadlifts, and I was told by my trainer and a few other people on here, that gloves will make that worse.

I deadlift a fair amount though.
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options
    got mine from the sporting chain store that will get blanked if I type it cuz it sounds like male anatomy (rhymes with PICKS) LOL

Gotcha. VERY clear description of the sporting store name, btw. Thanks. :- )
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Yep I wear gloves too - just basic ones. Dopn't like the callouses and they stop hands slipping when doing pushups.