Exercise versus genetics

Options
I've just watched Penn and Teller's Exercise versus Genetics and .... I'm confused.... surely you can't pin EVERYthing on genetics? I mean... I'm sure it's relevant to a point, but there MUST be outside influences; lifestyle choices, upbringing, etc. I mean... lets suppose someone is overweight, out of shape, etc... why should they give up before they've started and just assume that that's the body shape they've been allotted?
How do you KNOW until you've tried exercising, etc, that you CAN'T be a different shape? Either I'm not getting it, or it's a very simplistic outlook. Ideas please?

Replies

• Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    “Never let anyone with twice the genetics but only half the determination EVER beat you" ~ Kai Greene
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    REALLY!! You're getting scientific advice from Penn & Teller hahahah
    Of course environmental, and physical factors affect you your whole life

where's the facepalm .gif when you need one
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is the thing... how are 'genetics' determined? How does someone who is really REALLY determined to make a difference to their lifestyle to be 'restricted' by genetics. It seems to me all to easy to say "Ahhh well, that person is geneticaly programmed to be lean and muscular" How do you even know that until you try??
  • plarcade
    Options
    REALLY!! You're getting scientific advice from Penn & Teller hahahah
    Of course environmental, and physical factors affect you your whole life

where's the facepalm .gif when you need one
    Gosh, aren't YOU friendly? NO, of course I don't. I merely used Penn and Teller as a springboard for healthy debate. I guess that's a bit of a stretch for you.....? Facepalm is just sooooooo witty.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    This is the thing... how are 'genetics' determined? How does someone who is really REALLY determined to make a difference to their lifestyle to be 'restricted' by genetics. It seems to me all to easy to say "Ahhh well, that person is geneticaly programmed to be lean and muscular" How do you even know that until you try??

Short answer: you don't. Those massive bodybuilders and huge powerlifters? Yeah, a lot of them have awesome genetics, BUT if they hadn't have busted their *kitten* to get that way, they'd still just look like some random guy you'd pass on the street and not even notice.
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    genes are not our fate! they certainly predispose us to certain attributes such as obesity, but that doesn't dictate whether or not that trait will be set in stone. we decide how to treat our bodies, what we put into them, how we use them.
    that's my opinion.
  • plarcade
    Options
    genes are not our fate! they certainly predispose us to certain attributes such as obesity, but that doesn't dictate whether or not that trait will be set in stone. we decide how to treat our bodies, what we put into them, how we use them.
    that's my opinion.
    This is what I think; determination is at least 50% of the battle... but how can it possibly be determined what is 'genetic' and what 'learned' or something we decide to do?
    I think I'm genetically 'rewarded'; I LOVE to eat, but losing weight is not all that hard and I don't have 'awkward' areas of fat. Then again, I was taught to eat healthy, and I really enjoy exercise. Did I learn this from my parents (not particularly sporty, but both skinny) or do I just not want to be excessively overweight?
    It all seems to be something of a grey are....
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Exactly what others said. Genetics create a "range", if you will, of possibilities. Where exactly you fall comes down to environmental factors such as lifestyle choices, childhood nutrition, etc (barring any gross physiological dysfunction or disease). That is clear to anyone who studies genetic phenomena and health.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Genetics predispose us to things like height, build, where our fat distributes on our body, how our muscle mass develops - that's how they work. That's why we have different body types across the sexes. Where they can be limiting is mental, comparing yourself to someone else who is genetically not like you and comparing yourself to them, is where I think the crux of the argument comes from - because everybody is not built to the commonly markteted ideal body type. However, everyone is capable of exercise in some capacity and can therefore modify their body as such. Even though we are genetically distinct, we are also incredibly similar in things like muscle tissue and fat cells, all of which we all have the capacity to build and burn depending on how we fuel our bodies and how hard we work for it. I feel that this is most illustrative in the contestants of the Biggest Loser - they all come to the show with different body types, etc, but they are also all obese. The contestants then work for their weight-loss and fitness goals, and they all change. Not towards some ideal of what a body should look like, but towards the best image of their body based on their height, build, fat and muscle distribution, which at its roots comes from how our genes express themselves as our bodies.
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There is research that suggests that genetics can be changed by environment and that they are not set in stone but are influenced by hormones (stress, endorphines etc). Of course then there is the expression of said genetics. Don't forget that a gene that makes you carry more fat can do squat if you live through a famine and don't have food. So long story short, you can't change what has already happened (those hips can only shrink so much until you have only bone, then you can't go any smaller), but you can work to change your future such as changing your muscle composition and body fat percentage.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Genetics predispose us to things like height, build, where our fat distributes on our body, how our muscle mass develops - that's how they work. That's why we have different body types across the sexes. Where they can be limiting is mental, comparing yourself to someone else who is genetically not like you and comparing yourself to them, is where I think the crux of the argument comes from - because everybody is not built to the commonly markteted ideal body type. However, everyone is capable of exercise in some capacity and can therefore modify their body as such. Even though we are genetically distinct, we are also incredibly similar in things like muscle tissue and fat cells, all of which we all have the capacity to build and burn depending on how we fuel our bodies and how hard we work for it. I feel that this is most illustrative in the contestants of the Biggest Loser - they all come to the show with different body types, etc, but they are also all obese. The contestants then work for their weight-loss and fitness goals, and they all change. Not towards some ideal of what a body should look like, but towards the best image of their body based on their height, build, fat and muscle distribution, which at its roots comes from how our genes express themselves as our bodies.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You sure can't pin it all on genetics unless your genetics plays a massive factor in your ability.
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    that's my opinion.

This. ^^

Heck you don't know til you actually try. I didn't know I was capable of losing weight til recently. I only have myself to blame for my 80 pound weight gain. Not genetics even though a lot of my relatives are overweight. It's not a life sentence if I don't want it to be.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Who cares? You can't do anything about your genetics, so while it's interesting, it's not something worth worrying about.

Humans have an INCREDIBLE ability to overcome. People lose limbs and participate in iron man triathlons. You can get past whatever minor genetic predispositions you may have. Choose your destiny.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I resigned myself to the idea that I was genetically meant to be fat. In actuality, genetically speaking... I'm the mesomorph type. The fat I put on over top of my easily-gained muscle was all diet related to emotional instability and family practice. Once I learned how to eat healthfully, and addressed some of the emotional issues, I find it fairly easy to maintain a healthy body. Who knew?!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Genetics play a large role in most people's health, physique, etc.

A great example is my brother and me. My brother has our father's genetics and build. They are stocky and can bulk really easy, but cutting body fat is a bit challenging. I have our mother's genetics and build, very lean and hard for me to gain weight. I eat like crazy, eat 'garbage' and find it difficult to gain weight. I can however cut body fat rather quickly. In 3-4 weeks, I can cut more body fat than most people can in 2-3 months.
  • againagain
    againagain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There is research that suggests that genetics can be changed by environment and that they are not set in stone but are influenced by hormones (stress, endorphines etc). Of course then there is the expression of said genetics. Don't forget that a gene that makes you carry more fat can do squat if you live through a famine and don't have food. So long story short, you can't change what has already happened (those hips can only shrink so much until you have only bone, then you can't go any smaller), but you can work to change your future such as changing your muscle composition and body fat percentage.

This!

We are learning more and more about genes and how they are turned on and off. I would say CULTURE is a much bigger influence than genetics. If your parents are fat, you are more likely to be heavy too because of genes and culture...

The fact that the introduction of "american" or "western" diet and lifestyle to peoples all over the world leads to obesity should tell us that genetics doesn't get the last word.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    This is how I look at it....

I will always have some features from genetics. ( like large calves, freckles, and my height) i will never be tall or have those long slender legs some are blessed with. That does not give me an excuse to be fat. I need to take care of the body God gave me by keeping it in the best shape possible, and that may look different from someone else's....but that is ok:)
  • lauryn6061
    lauryn6061 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was overweight from when i was 11 years old all the way to my late teens. I crash dieted at 18 and struggled to keep the weight off until i was 25.

All my relatives (both sides of the family) are overweight. I always thought I couldn't do anything about my weight. I thought I had a big frame.

And then, at 26, I started jogging. At 27, I started dancing.

Now, I'm 32, have discovered I'm actually very petite and a lot of people think I am 'genetically' thin and athletic. I eat more healthy foods and am quite active with runnning, dancing, yoga. I usually exercise 2-3 times a week. Of course, knowing that everyone in the family is overweight has motivated me much, much more to not follow in their footsteps and to be mindful of my exercise and intake.
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Who cares? You can't do anything about your genetics, so while it's interesting, it's not something worth worrying about.

Humans have an INCREDIBLE ability to overcome. People lose limbs and participate in iron man triathlons. You can get past whatever minor genetic predispositions you may have. Choose your destiny.

^THIS exactly!!