NEED HELP, DESPERATE TO KNOW WHATS WRONG!!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hi :-) I've just had a quick look at your diary and I don't think it's your calorie intake thats the problem, but the quality of the food. For example, 300 calories of chocolate is not good for you like 300 calories of mixed veg. Human bodies struggle/can not process refined sugars and they store in your body. Maybe try eating clean non processed homemade foods, like lean proteins and vegetables, salads, and fruits.

Anyways, don't be too hard on yourself. You ARE losing weight and at the end of the day a loss is a loss :) Be proud x
    please tell me how? .

Could you explain a little more how the body cannot process refined sugars and as such they get stored in your body.
    thx 4 calling out that misinformation.

Baptiste that is true re reffined sugars
    i was under the impression that sugars get into the blood stream very quickly. table sugar(sucrose) is broken down quickly into glucose and fructose. glucose gives quick burst of energy. fructose is converted to glucose in liver
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    on average I allow myself to eat 3 cookies a day if I've done well about less than 200 calories....But besides saturda (6-7cookies)

Veggies, Ikind of get about a cup of it a day...

Saute onions mixed the veggies in it, depending what it is califlower, carrots, etc.......

cookies should be a treat, not a daily ritual.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    on average I allow myself to eat 3 cookies a day if I've done well about less than 200 calories....But besides saturda (6-7cookies)

Veggies, Ikind of get about a cup of it a day...

Saute onions mixed the veggies in it, depending what it is califlower, carrots, etc.......

cookies should be a treat, not a daily ritual.

Why?
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi :-) I've just had a quick look at your diary and I don't think it's your calorie intake thats the problem, but the quality of the food. For example, 300 calories of chocolate is not good for you like 300 calories of mixed veg. Human bodies struggle/can not process refined sugars and they store in your body. Maybe try eating clean non processed homemade foods, like lean proteins and vegetables, salads, and fruits.

Anyways, don't be too hard on yourself. You ARE losing weight and at the end of the day a loss is a loss :) Be proud x
    please tell me how? .

Could you explain a little more how the body cannot process refined sugars and as such they get stored in your body.

i was under the impression that sugars get into the blood stream very quickly. table sugar(sucrose) is broken down quickly into glucose and fructose. glucose gives quick burst of energy. fructose is converted to glucose in liver

Refined sugars/carbs are processed by the body. It's just that they're bad for the body. Eating large amounts has been associated with higher levels of triglycerides and lower levels of HDL (the good cholesterol). This has been published in JAMA.

All sugar ends up as glucose in the blood stream. But refined sugars raise our blood sugar levels high very quickly. This causes the body to overreact and create a lot of insulin. The release of all this insulin then causes our blood sugar to drop very low. This is why people get tired or foggy after heavy meals. our blood sugar is supposed to stay in a narrow band of sorts. Eating whole foods and foods that are low on the glycemic index keeps the blood sugar from dipping and elevating to the extremes that the processed foods do.

In addition, sugar is used for energy by being converted to glycogen and being stored in muscle or the liver for later use. If one consumes an excess (that exceeds the storage capacity), The sugar is instead stored as fat. People who regularly consume a lot of processed foods eventually do see weight gain because of this and will usually see health effects later on as organs get affected as well. Our bodies weren't designed for all of this excess sugar consumption.

Glucose and vitamin C use a common pathway to get to cells. Increasing the amount of blood glucose by consuming excess sugar limits vitamin C absorption by the cells that keep our immune system healthy.

There are other issues but these are the simpler big ones. Hope that helps a bit!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise? What's your height/weight/BF%? It doesn't look too bad but you could use more fresh fruits and veggies and less processed stuff. Also, maybe up your protein to 25-30% and see how that works.

5'7
    weight-168lbs
    bmi 26.3

5'7" 168 can lose fat at 1600-1800 working out 3x a week.
  • DaphneAtx
    DaphneAtx Posts: 153
    Options
    Instead of posting again and getting a bunch of the same answers, you should take the answers you got last week when you posted this and give them some time to work. You have to be patient!
  • hope8311
    hope8311 Posts: 166
    Options
    Instead of posting again and getting a bunch of the same answers, you should take the answers you got last week when you posted this and give them some time to work. You have to be patient!
    \

YOur right, but this time I just made my diary viewable by all to actually let them in and tell me feedback..

And to be honest, I thought I wouldn't be able to do that, its like letting your walls down around you to actually here what you are doing wrong, my not hiding anything...

I don't need attention, just had a weigh in today thats why I was curious...

No more topics in this manner will be posted by me...I learned I need to eat a little healthier and increase my calorie intake which am greatful for...

Thanks
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    That 6-7 cookies may be your it factor because if you have too much sugar/carbs in your system you run out of places to put it and it gets stored as fat in your system. If you combine that with bread, rice, etc carbs & sugar then your insulin is working around the clock and some of it will be stores as fat too. Just one possibility.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

please tell me how? .

Refined sugars/carbs are processed by the body. It's just that they're bad for the body. Eating large amounts has been associated with higher levels of triglycerides and lower levels of HDL (the good cholesterol). This has been published in JAMA.

All sugar ends up as glucose in the blood stream. But refined sugars raise our blood sugar levels high very quickly. This causes the body to overreact and create a lot of insulin. The release of all this insulin then causes our blood sugar to drop very low. This is why people get tired or foggy after heavy meals. our blood sugar is supposed to stay in a narrow band of sorts. Eating whole foods and foods that are low on the glycemic index keeps the blood sugar from dipping and elevating to the extremes that the processed foods do.

In addition, sugar is used for energy by being converted to glycogen and being stored in muscle or the liver for later use. If one consumes an excess (that exceeds the storage capacity), The sugar is instead stored as fat. People who regularly consume a lot of processed foods eventually do see weight gain because of this and will usually see health effects later on as organs get affected as well. Our bodies weren't designed for all of this excess sugar consumption.

Glucose and vitamin C use a common pathway to get to cells. Increasing the amount of blood glucose by consuming excess sugar limits vitamin C absorption by the cells that keep our immune system healthy.

There are other issues but these are the simpler big ones. Hope that helps a bit!

To address just one of the points - how does it get stored as fat if you are at a calorie deficit?
  • Verity1111
    Options
    homemade cheese sandwich - wheat bread, tomatoe, onions, lettuce, and Kraft slice of cheese, 1 sandwich

Stopped reading after this..

If you dont pay respect to counting your calories accurately you will never lose weight
    . 2 slices of breads are usualy around 200 calories, add cheese, and everything else and it would be over 300cal. thats 30% miscalculation.

Buy yourself a very good accurate electronic scale. (3lbs max weight) for maximum accuracy, and make sure you are selecting proper brands. different brands have different calories.

Stop eating stuff that someone else cooks for you at home. you never know how much butter they put inside your soup etc..

It doesnt matter what, when and how you eat. what matters is your total energy spent in day (you will never know exact value, and it might differ by as much as 500 calorie from MFP estimate), and ofcourse your intake (WHICH YOU CAN and should measure accurately).

MFP worked great for me. I also didnt suffer by eating "fresh celery and other raw vegetables", i ate only fruits for micronutrients.
    This isnt my 1st month losing weight, and i lost 8lbs already, and its only 24th.
    My point?

Count calories more precise. Nothing else works

P.S. also fibre doesnt make you feel full. I bought organic spelt bran from bulkbarn, ate avocados, almonds, and it doesnt even give you a hint that you are feeling full.
    Protein shakes make me feel full.
    I know everyone means well, but I buy healthy life 35 calorie bread and my cheese is 70-90 calories per slice :/ I also note my "regular" bread is 140 for 2 slices and almost every single bread I buy is 140 calories for two slices, which brings it up to 210, without veggies. I want to say this and I know some people will gasp and scold, but I do not count all my vegetables in my diary every time. I only take in 1300 calories now, so I don't feel I need to and I lose, so no worries on my part, but I would estimate (since Im not 100% sure) with lettuce & tomato it comes out to like 250calories at most. Yet, I will also note 50 extra calories not counted for 25 days, once per day would be 1,250 calories, or .36 (rounded) of a pound.
  • Verity1111
    Options

please tell me how? .

To address just one of the points - how does it get stored as fat if you are at a calorie deficit?
    That is difficult to explain. Watch FatHead lol (I think that is the one that shows it.) It is a documentary :]
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Whatever you aren't using right away gets stored as fat, to be let out later (between meals or at night) and burned. The problem comes when insulin levels stay high, because too much insulin keeps the cells from releasing the fat. Insulin might be high because you're insulin-resistant, or because your body makes too much insulin when it sees certain carbs, or because you routinely eat 5 or 6 small meals or snacks a day of high-carb, low-fat foods. The body burns/stores what you eat at a meal, but the insulin doesn't drop low enough for fat to come out of the cells before you eat again. You may appear to be at a calorie deficit, but your body can't use your stored fat because of the high insulin. So your body either slows down how much energy it burns, or pesters you to eat again, or both. You're living off glucose, not fat.

This is part of the explanation (admittedly oversimplified) for why some overweight and obese people can eat fewer calories than normal-weight people and not lose weight, or even gain.

Does that make sense?
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

please tell me how? .

friendly debate is healthy. eating large amounts of food (calorie surplus) not just sugar can lead to higher levels of triglycerides and lower levels of HDL. r u aware that protein raises insulin almost as much as carbs. yes! and the whey protein shakes raises insulin like crazy. insulin is not bad it just does its junction. it gets energy into cells for quick and efficient use. it helps ur body achieve homeostasis. healthy people shouldn't worry 2 much about insulin.
    also the glycemic index has been found to be irrelevant. more about the load.
    it not that excess consumption of sugar makes u fat, its the excess consumption of calories.
    our bodies WAS designed for sugar consumption. simple sugars are what we use for energy. everything we eat gets converted into simple sugars b4 it can be used.
    u can get fat off whole foods just as easy as processed foods. its more about calorie surplus.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Add up all your calories you ate for the 25 days add 7000 (the amount of calories it takes to lose 2 lbs) and divide by 25. The number you get is the number it takes for you to maintain your weight. Eat less than that to lose weight. If you eat 500 calories less than that number you will lose a pound a week, unless you are putting on muscle to skew th enumbers.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I've been on a rollercoaster of losing weight, gaining it back, losing it again etc.. for a few years now.

Exercise is great, eating healthy is great, but what I found works best for me is to go from 3 meals/day to at least 4-6 meals/day. I do not know why, maybe it is my body, but when I eat my "afforded" calories spread out over 4-6 meals instead of 3, I start dropping. I try to do it on a schedule of every 3-3.5 hours (I know that is hard for some people because of their specific work scenarios)...if you are in an office environment tho, it should be easy.

If I go back to 3 meals/day and stay with the exercise I normally do, I will NOT lose any weight. (I think my body enters starvation move much quicker if I only eat 3 meals/day).

Just started using this site...My goal is 180 for my height as a man (5' 11'')...I have fluctuated from 178 to 208 and back down and back up again like that over the last 4ish years...when I calorie count and eat 4+ meals a day I go down, when I quit and eat 3 meals a day I go back up.

I hope you find what works best for you!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    That 6-7 cookies may be your it factor because if you have too much sugar/carbs in your system you run out of places to put it and it gets stored as fat in your system. If you combine that with bread, rice, etc carbs & sugar then your insulin is working around the clock and some of it will be stores as fat too. Just one possibility.

Not if shes in a deficit.
    she can eat all cookies all day and if shes in an energy deficit she will lose weight.
    If shes in a deep deficit she may not lose the fat.

simply put:
    The 4 major biological functions of fat tissue are
    (1) energy storage
    (2) toxin storage
    (3) protection against insulin resistance, and
    (4) protection against estrogen decline in women.
    Eliminate the functions of fat tissue also eliminates the reasons for its existence.

If you under eat (VLCD or below BMR) for a long period of time it gives reason to hold onto fat.
    If you have hormonal issues it gives reason to hold onto fat.
    If you eat too much (above TDEE) and become toxic from any source or macronutrient you create fat to store the toxins.
    If you eat too much and dont work out to effect p-ratio youll have fat.

If you eat at a slight deficit you will lose fat.
    If you lift weight or carry heavy things youll effect p-ratio and the nutrients you eat (above TDEE) wont go to fat...mostly.
    If you have spike days after eating at a deficit youll lose fat.

Whats wrong with OP is she doesnt understand the physiology of fat and will probably have a tough time losing it correctly.

for more info on how to improve your chances of losing fat read this and PM if you have any Qs.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

The premise is Nutrition 80% Activity 10% and rest 10% and youll lose the fat.