Walking as only exercise?

Options
Hi all, I'm 55 years old and usually am only doing walking for exercise. It's the easiest thing for me to fit in, as I can do it at work during my breaks or lunch, I just go for a long walk. However, I don't know if it will work for weight loss. I see that many people on the boards go to zumba, the gym or do intense boot camp type work outs. At this point in my career, I don't have time (or energy) after work to go to a class nor to do a boot camp type work out. What do you do that you can fit in with a very intense work schedule? Do any feel that just walking works for you? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100 pounds since March, and pretty much the only exercise I have done is walking. The last couple of weeks I have also been riding a stationary recumbent bike, but most of my weight was lost with walking and diet alone. When I first started I could barely make a mile, but now I walk up to five or six miles at a time if Ihave the time. On days that I do not have the time, I just try to walk about 40 minutes during my lunch break, and then another 15 or 20 minutes when I can find the time.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I only walk. And I walk sloooooow. But I walk an hour a day, and have been feeling much better, I think it could be bad to just jump into an intense workout regime if you're not ready for it, I plan to just walk until I've lost 30-40 pounds and there's less stress on my knees....I have the knees of a 95 year old. :)

I think just walking can be great, especially at first. If anything, it;s better than sitting on the couch.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My first 45-50 pounds were purely through walking, so yes, it can work really well!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, any exercise is better than none. However, your body is very used to walking (you aren't challenging yourself, so you won't see results all that quickly). Moreover, variety is extremely important to fitness. Not only will it keep things interesting, but it will keep your body guessing which will lead you to see results more quickly. Try adding in a minute of walking lunges, jogging, butt-kicks and the like every once in a while. It will increase your heart rate and maximize the benefits of your workout. Good for you for fitting in exercise with so little free time! :D
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Walk away the pounds, literally. It's the perfect exercise!
  • tmbf57
    tmbf57 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100 pounds since March, and pretty much the only exercise I have done is walking. The last couple of weeks I have also been riding a stationary recumbent bike, but most of my weight was lost with walking and diet alone. When I first started I could barely make a mile, but now I walk up to five or six miles at a time if Ihave the time. On days that I do not have the time, I just try to walk about 40 minutes during my lunch break, and then another 15 or 20 minutes when I can find the time.

Thanks! This is very helpful to me!
  • amysaenz24
    amysaenz24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do beleive walking is just fine for weight loss. but i recommend getting your heart rate up by walking inclines. you can even youtube or look up 5 min intense work outs, even doing jumping jacks for a min. but before you know it, your legs will be so toned from walking.
  • tmbf57
    Options
    I only walk. And I walk sloooooow. But I walk an hour a day, and have been feeling much better, I think it could be bad to just jump into an intense workout regime if you're not ready for it, I plan to just walk until I've lost 30-40 pounds and there's less stress on my knees....I have the knees of a 95 year old. :)

I think just walking can be great, especially at first. If anything, it;s better than sitting on the couch.

Thanks this helps!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Walking is excellent exercise! And it's versatile. You start out slow, then speed up and/or go farther. And eventually you can even work in some running intervals and maybe even run.

That said, it would be good if you could include something else that helps with a bit of strength training. It's good for your physique and as a woman, it helps healthwise too as you'll also help make your bones stronger. There are plenty of things you can do at home without having to take much time. Push-ups, sit-ups, tricep dips, even fill up some gallon jugs (partway at first then work up to full) and use them to do bicep curls, shoulder presses, etc. If you don't feel like you can do them all at once, do one or two things during the commercial breaks while watching TV.

For more ideas, you can google at home workouts or even get DVD workout. Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred is pretty popular around here and is just under a half hour including warm up and cool down.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    All I did was walk the first few months and as the lbs shed I began to incorporate other exercises and am now doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred in the comfort of my own home.I say as long as you are moving you are on a road to succcess ^u^ Good luck doll!!
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I walk. Only. Not a fan of dancing around others (zumba, etc). Someday, I'll be brave and do some strength training...but I've lost just walking and clean eating.
  • tmbf57
    Options
    My first 45-50 pounds were purely through walking, so yes, it can work really well!

So happy to hear this! I was worried it wouldn't be enough!
  • tmbf57
    Options
    I walk. Only. Not a fan of dancing around others (zumba, etc). Someday, I'll be brave and do some strength training...but I've lost just walking and clean eating.

Yes that's how I feel too, glad others are posting similar experiences
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My sister shrank from a size 22 to a size 14 in about 8 months just through walking and eating even more crap than usual. Of course, her walking was all up VERY steep hills and she tends to do it for like 3hours a day walking from one town to the next with the dog to tend to the horses... And she does not have a fast motabolism, she was always fat before, from infancy! So yes, slimming using only walking is possible, but you'll probably see a much slower loss than her...
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I only walked. It seemed so hard. I didn't walk very long or very far. In fact, I had to break it up into many short walks during the day to get anything out of it. As time went on, I wanted to challenge myself more. I added different things at different times to my routine. I started to wake up earlier so I could do Zumba or Wii Fit. I bought a weight bench. I do all my workouts at home now (except the walking), but all I did was start waking up earlier. Build up and push yourself to different levels. Even if you want to stick with only walking- walk faster, further, find some hills or stairs, but for progress you have to keep pushing yourself.
  • tmbf57
    Options
    My sister shrank from a size 22 to a size 14 in about 8 months just through walking and eating even more crap than usual. Of course, her walking was all up VERY steep hills and she tends to do it for like 3hours a day walking from one town to the next with the dog to tend to the horses... And she does not have a fast motabolism, she was always fat before, from infancy! So yes, slimming using only walking is possible, but you'll probably see a much slower loss than her...

Amo-Angelus do you mean she ate more crap than usual or less? Just wondering, since she went down so quickly
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great way to lose weight.

Another way to make it challenging is to carry a set of weights with you (3lb - 10lb) depending on how much you can hold. When I walk and carry my weights I slowly lift my arms to the side, hold for 10 seconds, lift straight up above my head, hold, then pump one arm up and down at a time (almost like a shoulder press) about 15 times on each arm, take my arms back out to shoulder height, then drop down to my waist. I alternate between that and pumping my arms in front of my body cross my chest and straight out. Gets my heart rate up and helps tone the muscles in my arms. I repeat the motions for as long as I can, then I quit. Rarely do I count them as reps or anything.
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes you can definitely lose weight with walking as your only exercise. I lost 80 pounds about ten years ago only walking 4 days a week and watching my diet by decreasing junk and fried foods. (I gained it back because I stopped walking and started eating crazy stuff again ;))
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    For the first 7-9 months all I did was walk. I lost around 70-75 lbs but ended up hitting the wall. That is when I started to jog. I would walk from 30 to 120 mins 4-6 times week. Its one of the best low impact workouts you can do. Im down 123 lbs and still have yet to step 1 foot in a gym.

Good luck!

http://freew67.blogspot.com/