squat form off in gym..say anything?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If their form is so bad they are risking injury, I say something. If not, I let them do what they do. Unless it's a really pretty girl. Then I don't say anything, ever. Because no matter how helpful you're trying to be, they swear you're just trying to hit on them. I don't want to be the focus of one of the daily gym rants on mfp.
  • joskrin4
    joskrin4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Say something!...squats can RUIN your back if you do them wrong. Nothing sucks worse than a herniated disc that could have been avoided if you had known better, at least that is what I thought when I was recovering from one....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Looking down like, trying to see his belly button, or looking down as in-- neutral neck?

Looking down as in looking down at ground with eyes....

My understanding is this is not good form and could potentially lead to injury?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Honestly those don't look that great. That said he is 10 repping a weight I may be just shy of 1 repping so...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    There's a few ways I approach the situations based on whats going on.

If they just suck at squatting and aren't using much weight and it doesn't look too dangerous, I just let them continue.
    If theres a serious risk for injury, I'll approach them.

Don't go up to them preaching about form just say "Can I give you a few tips". If they're receptive help them, if not, their loss.
    Smart lifters are open to criticism and will continually take advice and try to learn proper technique.
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There was ONE guy who I respected. I used to have dudes come up all the time with "helpful tips"...(eyeroll)..but one guy, really did mean it..and he said "Hey, have you ever tried doing it this way..I find that I get a better burn that way"..Now, him a listened too. (helped that he obviously practiced what he preached and didn't bug me any other time)...So I think the way he said it was very cool. Not like you're doing something wrong, but "I like doing it this way" and kind of showed by example.
    I usually don't say much to people. I will go up to other women who seem like newbies and try to help them out if it looks like they are going to hurt themselves.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Looking down like, trying to see his belly button, or looking down as in-- neutral neck?

Looking down as in looking down at ground with eyes....

My understanding is this is not good form and could potentially lead to injury?

Well Rip\SS says to look at the floor 4-5 feet in front of you. Some would say to look higher to keep the chest up and back straight. It is easier if you are looking up I guess. If you are looking at the floor you need that word that means knowing what all of your body parts are doing.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I have never approached anyone directly regarding form. I did watch one guy doing deadlifts with heavy weights and an arched back and walked over to a trainer I knew and said, "hey, can you tell me if I'm crazy here?" He watched one rep and RAN over to stop the guy.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I do squats similarly to what Rip recommendends, though I don't look as far down as Rip in the video.

I probably look 5-7 feet ahead of me. But a high bar squatter would think I was looking down and doing it wrong.

FWIW I learned to do squats high bar (bar on top of traps), but like low bar (bar below traps) better now.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    There's a few ways I approach the situations based on whats going on.

If they just suck at squatting and aren't using much weight and it doesn't look too dangerous, I just let them continue.
    If theres a serious risk for injury, I'll approach them.

Don't go up to them preaching about form just say "Can I give you a few tips". If they're receptive help them, if not, their loss.
    Smart lifters are open to criticism and will continually take advice and try to learn proper technique.

the most I saw him doing was 145...but he started with no weight.then increased weight twice...

I dont know when I first started doing squats I was clueless until someone pointed out a few pointers to me...I still worry about my form...I just feel that you are not going to get the right gains if your form is not correct...I mean you don't need to be perfect but you should have some basics down...or so I think ...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

Well Rip\SS says to look at the floor 4-5 feet in front of you. Some would say to look higher to keep the chest up and back straight. It is easier if you are looking up I guess. If you are looking at the floor you need that word that means knowing what all of your body parts are doing.

I have always had a feeling, and I actually heard it voiced by Mark Bell in one of his recent videos:
    before you take advice from someone, you might want to look at their numbers.
    Rip is a decent coach and all, but looking at his total, I'm not taking squat advice from him.......
    He wasn't an exceptional powerlifter
    I don't see many 1000 pound squatters that look down.

Rip says dumb **** like let your hips rise before your head, etc.
    Keeping your head netural or up leads to you driving your traps into the bar better and prevents you from going into a good morning, IMO.
  • DavPul
    Options
    No. Don't be that guy, please.

My headphones were on but my ipod died at the gym the other day. I was doing squats next to these *kitten* im tough **** guys. I am squating as low as possible, with proper form, but the squat rack is really tall, right? I am like 1 centimeter from racking the weight on the rack with every single squat.... One of them said "Wow, she's lifting too much." "huh? no she's not" "yeah, she has to be.... she isn't squating deep enough"

Let me tell you this pissed me off beyond all EFFING BELIEF.

Don't be that guy. Rule of thumb? Unless they are going to injure themselves in the next few reps/minutes mind your own business. :)

talking about someone is not the same as talking directly to them to help them avoid injury

Did he say "they were about to injure themselves"? No. Don't say anything to anyone unless they are going to injure themselves. It's not your business. If i see women doing the ****tiest form of crunches ever am i going to run over to them and instruct them otherwise? No. It's not my business.

You go to the gym for YOU, not to be everyone personal trainer. If they are going to HURT themselves, then i can understand.

He asked if he should speak directly to the trainee because their squat form was bad which reading between the lines means they might hurt themselves. Clearly not the same as a couple dbags talking about you amongst themselves.

This entire exchange is why I'm willing to watch people endanger themselves without saying anything. These guys didn't speak a word to the poster, yet she is enraged and they have been labeled as dbags. For what, exactly? They had a conversation with each other just to figure out if they should say something to keep a fellow lifter from being injured. Whether the lifter was in danger or not, their heart was in the right place. Congratulations young men, your concern for fellow humans makes you a couple of douches.
  • llayc013
    Options
    if i see anyone with bad form, i try to help them... some may or may not appreciate the help. most people know me in my facility and know i'm good help and knowledge. step in and give advice when needed..
    I noticed this kid at the gym - well I say kid he was probably college age or maybe just getting out of high school - and he was doing squats but his form was kind of jacked becuase he was looking down...I wanted to say something but decided not to ...what do you all think? Should I have mentioned something...I mean I would want to know if my form was not good...ehhhh
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi, there,
    If you are working out in a gym and you want to know if you are doing your workouts correct then there is someone always there working you can ask them,as far as this other person doing his workout wrong I wouldn't say a word to him because then there is a fight he can say bug off and mine your own business.
    I've it happened,just worry about yourself.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    the most I saw him doing was 145...but he started with no weight.then increased weight twice...

I dont know when I first started doing squats I was clueless until someone pointed out a few pointers to me...I still worry about my form...I just feel that you are not going to get the right gains if your form is not correct...I mean you don't need to be perfect but you should have some basics down...or so I think ...

a lot of people aren't receptive to criticism though. if they're serious about lifting they're either going to learn by watching videos, reading and asking questions, or they're going to give up.
    I'm not big on giving onsolicited advice in gyms
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    [This entire exchange is why I'm willing to watch people endanger themselves without saying anything. These guys didn't speak a word to the poster, yet she is enraged and they have been labeled as dbags. For what, exactly? They had a conversation with each other just to figure out if they should say something to keep a fellow lifter from being injured. Whether the lifter was in danger or not, their heart was in the right place. Congratulations young men, your concern for fellow humans makes you a couple of douches.

while i took the stance of "he may not be doing them wrong" in this thread....THIS, great post.

and I would guess by what the OP said he was doing for weight, that he was doing them wrong. Low bar squats are usually advanced lifters anyway, as high bar is more natural to most people.
  • DavPul
    Options

Wow! That's terrible! Hate the form and there's no excuse for doing that light poundage like it's 495 or something. I guess I need to start putting form videos on YouTube if this is what's passing.

Thanks for posting. Next time someone tells me I a pu$$y for wearing gloves and quotes that funny but pointless Rip quote about gloves and purses, they can kiss my *kitten*. This is the Immortal Lifting God that people worship on this site?
  • ndj1979
    Options

a lot of people aren't receptive to criticism though. if they're serious about lifting they're either going to learn by watching videos, reading and asking questions, or they're going to give up.
    I'm not big on giving onsolicited advice in gyms

Yea, you are probably right. I fall into the watch video and read category. But if I was still off I would not mind someone telling me....
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Correcting people's form in the gym is about as futile as sitting at burger king and handing out vegetarian pamphlets.I see so many bad squats, I'm more surprised when I see a proper one- I'm much more likely to compliment the person with the good squats. I would only say something if they appear in imminent danger.
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No. Don't be that guy, please.

My headphones were on but my ipod died at the gym the other day. I was doing squats next to these *kitten* im tough **** guys. I am squating as low as possible, with proper form, but the squat rack is really tall, right? I am like 1 centimeter from racking the weight on the rack with every single squat.... One of them said "Wow, she's lifting too much." "huh? no she's not" "yeah, she has to be.... she isn't squating deep enough"

Let me tell you this pissed me off beyond all EFFING BELIEF.

Don't be that guy. Rule of thumb? Unless they are going to injure themselves in the next few reps/minutes mind your own business. :)

Agreed. Don't be the guy that knows it all.