Options
1235»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Lord of the Rings

* only coz i kept falling asleep while reading*

I'm with you on that. The books drag on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on..

Wow! Just ripping on the best trilogy in modern literature. Just wow!

Hmmm
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, yes?

Everyone but you! :wink:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    #truth! I've hated every Stephen King movie that I've seen but LOVE his books!

Really? Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, Hearts in Atlantis, Needful Things...? Say it isn't so...

I didn't say which movies I have or haven't seen and same with the books lol I love Shawshank and Green Mile movies but I haven't read the books yet. So to edit my above comment all of Stephen King's horror books turned movies tend to suck... Christine, The Mist, Room 1408. I love the original Shining with Jack Nicholson but that's another one where I haven't read the book yet, but I thought I heard that Stephen King didn't like the original and so he took part in the mini-series remake so that it was more true to the book??

okay, good... we're all good then :) I don't like scary books or movies, so I must say I haven't read/watched many of Stephen King's creations - but the four I listed are all awesome movies AND books - highly recommend :)
  • hersheythecat
    hersheythecat Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The Notebook, I hated the girl in the book.

Funny you say this because I can't ready ANY of his books but love all of his movies. I'm a big reader to but his books just bore me in the first few chapters and I can't get past them.
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I didn't "hate" the book, but I did find that the movie "The Time Travelers Wife" was smoother than the book. I am a very avid reader, and I found I had to read parts of the book over again to be sure I understood what was happening...

Did you like the movie? I loved the book but all my friends told me not to watch the movie as it was horrible and would ruin the book for me.

I actually quite liked the movie... Rachel McAdams is really good in it, and Eric Bana did a great job, too...
  • jennycasper
    jennycasper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Jaws

I don't hate the book and have read it numerous times, but it is really different than the movie and gets bogged down in some of the sub-plots.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    haven't seen the show (because I can't stand the main character) but I'm going to guess that "Trueblood" the show is better than the books. Sookie Stackhouse makes me want to punch babies.

I think that this would be the only example I have (at the moment, anyway). The books are good in a bubble-gum need a break from heavy bs of life kind of way. I do enjoy the show and like some of the changes made (La La!) from the books.

I'm also a huge fan of the Vampire Diaries TV show, and based on the comments here won't be touching the books!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Stephen King: I really liked the film of Misery! The book was good, but Kathy Bates was just so perfect in the film.

Lord of the Rings: was the first adaptation that I sprang to mind for me when I read the question. It's years since I tried to read the books but I remember them as overblown, over-serious and kind of nerdy. I should probably give them another go. The Hobbit was one of my favourite books as a child, so I'm curious to see whether I prefer the film or the book of that one.

Harry Potter was the second thing that sprang to mind! The books were terribly wordy and seemed to give up as the series went on. There seemed to be a lot of unnecessary dialogue, repetition and endless Quidditch matches. The films condensed the books nicely.

Tell No One (Ne le dis a personne) was a great adaptation, which I probably enjoyed more than the Harlan Coben book (although I liked the book too).

Talking of non-English language films of English language books, I also thought Live Flesh (Carne Tremula) was great, with a completely different "feel" to the original Ruth Rendell story (although again, I also thought the book was pretty good!).
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    oh! I forgot one!

Jurassic Park! The book wasn't bad but the movie is iconic!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    oh! I forgot one!

The first one I agree with lol
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    "Of Human Bondage". One of my absolute favorite Bette Davis movies, but the book was staggeringly dull by comparison.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Forrest Gump!
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    oh! I forgot one!

The first one I agree with lol

Same here. :smile:
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    I would ALMOST agree with Devil Wears Prada (I thought Streep was brilliant in it), except that I didn't like how they changed the ending. The movie version was just too predictable.
  • lavondrew
    Options
    Pet Semetary had a much better ending in the book. The ambiguity was perfect; the movie tells you which way it went.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    haven't seen the show (because I can't stand the main character) but I'm going to guess that "Trueblood" the show is better than the books. Sookie Stackhouse makes me want to punch babies.

Also, going to put this out there, thought "The Help" was a better movie than book.

Oh that doesn't go away on screen. I was not a fan of them casting Anna Paquin but really...who else could they get to play that ditz? :huh:
  • tashjs21
    Options
    Anal Angels 12.

some of that stuff just doesnt translate well on paper...

Are you serious? I thought that was a great read...

th_UnsureSmiley.gif I am so confused.

:laugh:
  • tashjs21
    Options
    I didn't "hate" the book, but I did find that the movie "The Time Travelers Wife" was smoother than the book. I am a very avid reader, and I found I had to read parts of the book over again to be sure I understood what was happening...

Did you like the movie? I loved the book but all my friends told me not to watch the movie as it was horrible and would ruin the book for me.

Yea, don't bother with it. coffee_drinker.gif
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Extremely Loud and Incredibelly Close
    The book was Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long and boring. Enough about the grandparents already!!!
    Glad they cut all of that from the movie or it'd been 500 hours long.