gym etiquette

Options

Replies

• virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Do you own that treadmill?

of course not but you would be okay with that....you would be thinking the exact same thing....cut it out

Maybe im weird, but if i walk into the gym i personally like to use the machines farther away from someone unless most of the are full, or if i want to use the bike and close to the elliptical someone is using. Other than that i want my personal space.

I would be okay with that.
    They are not running on the treadmill that I am running on, why do I care??

i care b/c he had 15 to choose from... why get next to me...I cannot believe these comment from you ppl...im not buying any of this...........personal space...
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have less of an issue with the person that is on the treadmill next to me and more of an issue with their perfume.

I know we all should be able to wear what we want, but there is a difference between covering up the smell of gym and drowning oneself in the bottle. The only person who needs to wear so much perfume that I can feel MY lungs burning when you walk through the door is a zombie.

Gag! This happened to me yesterday....older lady with her not so pleasant perfume. Thanks goodness I only had a few minutes left running.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

of course not but you would be okay with that....you would be thinking the exact same thing....cut it out

i care b/c he had 15 to choose from... why get next to me...I cannot believe these comment from you ppl...im not buying any of this...........personal space...

I totally agree- another example- I camp frequently. I purposely go on the off seasons. I often have 5 sights around me free- and I feel solitude and I like it. New camper shows up- there are dozens of sweet spots just like mine- but they choose to be NEXT to me?! No I dont own the next sight, Im not in charge of who goes where- but wth is THAT? I dont like that at all - and apparently some of us dont and find the ppl who do not mind that - CREEPY.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    i must have written this up wrong or ppl are just not reading it correctly...him beside me was weird bc there were 15 open treadmills he could have use...the gym wasnt crowded...im the lone runner...so he gets beside me...but thats fine to some of you...im not buying that for 1 min
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

So we don't get an opinion on this?
    Because we disagree with you, you can't believe it?

There are much bigger things to worry about then that..
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    :laugh: oh lordy. Maybe the dude just walked up to whatever machine he saw that was open and got on it...and you happened to be on the next one. If you care that much, you move.

Or get a treadmill at home so you don't have to deal with such atrocities.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    i must have written this up wrong or ppl are just not reading it correctly...him beside me was weird bc there were 15 open treadmills he could have use...the gym wasnt crowded...im the lone runner...so he gets beside me...but thats fine to some of you...im not buying that for 1 min

I get it.
    Under the situation you gave, I STILL DON'T CARE.

There are bigger things to worry about then this. It's not like this person was actually on the same treadmill as you.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have to agree. It's one thing if it's crowded, but if there's a sea of treadmills to pick from, why do you have to run next to me? Hate it. Major pet peeve. I often think about switching machines in the middle of my run when that happens (though I've yet to actually do that). I generally just fume in my head for a minute then try to ignore it.

I would want to also - and I have in the case of the perfume as someone else brought up. I will move if you stink. Husband I both moved to the next room in a bar last week when stink boy showed up and reeked out the room. Paid and tipped our waitress, told her we had to move and just did. Had he become offended Id have no problem saying - your perfume is choking me. He has the right to wear it - I have the right to move if Im going to die and my eyes are tearing.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I like peeing in the urinal directly next to a guy....
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    I can certainly see the explanation that some people like to use the same machine-I always grab one with good air flow so i don't go blind from the sweat in my eyes. On the other hand, the act of having someone that close to me on a machine IS a distraction. Perhaps there are some that say it shouldn't be, but that's how I am. I can't stand it when someone does that-I don't care if it's my mom or the random stranger that does it at the gym once every two or three weeks. Totally with you OP!
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    LMAO I do that to people all the time. I find it hilarious! I go out of my way to work out right beside people especially if it looks like they really want to be alone.
  • learningtolovemyself1972
    Options
    I feel the same way- I hate that. Give some space. If the gym is packed...understandable.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I like peeing in the urinal directly next to a guy....

You're a peeker.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Do you guys have TVs in the cardio area?

I choose my treadmill based on what channel I want to watch. It just so happens to be next to the same guy most every time who is there before me.... but then again, I *assume* he chooses his because of the station choice. I'm sure he is smart enough to know I choose the spot based on the TV, and not that I have some major gym crush on him.... even if the entire row may be empty....
  • robmcd88
    robmcd88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You should have asked if you two could just share the one he was on…. That’ll get him across the gym in a hurry. Awkward!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

You're the one with the problem. You move if it's such a big deal or go for your loner runs on the road. Problem solved.

Absolutely no rule book that reads "I must be careful what machine I use as to not upset other people"..you know cuz somehow they're membership means more than mine... *rolls eyes*
  • melindacronin
    Options
    I have issues with stuff like that myself, but I figured its my issues. Not theirs
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Maybe he really liked your motion, hahaha
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

So we don't get an opinion on this?
    Because we disagree with you, you can't believe it?

There are much bigger things to worry about then that..

so if i sat beside you in an uncrowded movie that would not bother you? or would you move down 1 seat....same premise
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    No you don't own the tread mill but honestly.... that would bug me too! I mean.... why?

Kinda of Creepy