Hair loss worries....

Options
Hello, all!

So I've been on MFP since the end of June 2012. From then until now, I have lost a total of 38 lbs. My daily calorie allowance is currently 1200- I am set up to lose 2 lbs per week, as I am obese, even after losing the aforementioned 38 lbs. I would like to change my weight loss to 1.5 or 1 lb per week once I have lost about 45 lbs. Portion control has been a huge part of my success, along with being more aware of the calorie content of pre-made or prepared foods. I also exercise at least 4 days per week doing cardio, and one or two days per week working on strength training, though I am a noob at it.

I take a daily Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamin supplement. (Sometimes I forget, but I take it at least 75% of the time). I eat back most, if not all, of my exercise calories, and I have no problems with the fact that there are days when I go over a bit in my diary, like today. Most days, MFP yells at me for being over my protein macro. I do not believe in completely cutting out certain kinds of food because I want this to be a change for life, and not just a 'diet'.

It could be me being paranoid, but lately I feel like I have a more loose hair/ hair falling out in the shower than I did before. My hair is curly so it looks thick, but it is actually very fine with just lots of hair in there. There is no history of thyroid problems or anything that would cause hair loss that runs in my family.

I am wondering what your thoughts are concerning hair loss, diet, protein, etc. Switch my vitamin? Take more vitamins? Eat more proteins or dietary fats? Add protein supplements like a shake mix? Change my goal to lose more slowly?

I want to make sure I am losing in a healthy way, and if that means dialing it back a bit, I am willing to do that, but before I get too worried, I wanted to see what ideas/thoughts you all had.

Replies

• Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    looking at your diary I am concerned that most of your foods are artificial or not very natural and not many fruits and veggies. you are in starvation mode and because you are not getting enough of what you need your body is doing what it can to survive.

also, the sodium seems very high. possibly not a concern for you but it can make you retain water, a lot.

vitamins, additives, suppliments, etc are not usually absorbed well by humans because they are not natural and your body does not know what to do with them.

I do admire your commitment and you seem to have a good grasp on what you want to do and are sticking too it. best of luck!
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi Angyl,
    I don't have a definitive answer for you but I have the same thing happen on and off. I am also a curly haired girl--thin texture but a lot of it. I find I'll go through a phase of 4-6 months when my hair loss is normal and then 3-6 months of SO MUCH hair loss. The same with my nails: in fact when I first started really focusing on my weight loss my protein intake was high-ish and my nails were stronger than usual, but they are back to being total crap again (but my hair loss isn't so bad right now. I don't get it!). And I take loads of vitamins and supplements, though not one specifically for hair and nails.
    I just figure there really isn't a product out there that will fix it, it's just natural cycles, and as long as I'm eating healthy, wholesome, nourishing foods for most of my nutrients, then supplement the rest, then I am covering my bases and the rest is up to nature (until it gets REALLY bad again).
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    looking at your diary I am concerned that most of your foods are artificial or not very natural and not many fruits and veggies. you are in starvation mode and because you are not getting enough of what you need your body is doing what it can to survive.

also, the sodium seems very high. possibly not a concern for you but it can make you retain water, a lot.

More than fair if you were looking at today's diary. I do try to eat more fruits and veggies (you can see it if you look back into other days), but today was not a great example. I try to track my sodium as well as my calories and other macros, but I know that I can do better with it. I will continue trying to keep down the sodium.
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    Two thoughts:

1. Fungus: If your diet is high is processed starches and sugars, you may have a tendency toward fungal overgrowth on the scalp (more common than you might think!), which stresses out the follicle and it falls out more often. If you have dandruff or an itchy scalp sometimes after eating things like ice cream and other sweet foods, you may consider going on an anti-candida diet (minimal starches; mostly vegetables and protein). It's tough, but it will help you in more ways than one. You may also consider supplementing with an Omega 3 fish oil supplement to help balance out the high level of omega-6 you take in with your current diet. Trader Joe's sea gummies are pretty good.

2. Alopecia: If you tie back your hair tightly a lot in rubber bands, scrunchies, barrettes, etc., you can put too much strain on the hair follicle and it will fall out. Unfortunately, the only solution is to limit or eliminate the amount of time that you hair is pulled back (say, for exercise only).
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I can relate. In fact, I wrote a funny blog post about it....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JanaCanada/view/hair-today-gone-tomorrow-blame-midlife-436972
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    IRON. If you have an iron deficiency, you can have drastic hair loss (as well as nail and skin problems). I know you said you take a vitamin, but I would suggest eating more iron enriched foods, as well as incorporating more natural oils into your diet (coconut oil etc).
  • jillthemom
    jillthemom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing, and it continues even though I have upped my calories to maintenance. I have read that it is normal after weight loss. My worry is that this has been going on for 4 months for me and is not letting up. I plan to get my thyroid checked soon.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You might not be eating enough and that will cause hair loss!
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I can relate as well. I was on a 1200 calorie diet and I also just had a baby. Put those two together and I was balding. I went to my Dr and he didn't seem to concerned told me to take vitamins ran blood work and everything came back okay. I am beginning to grow some of it back because I have baby hairs all around my face now. I have uped my calories to 1500 so not sure if that helped. I am maintaining now and I am not losing as much hair in the shower either.
  • bananapancake_s
    Options
    Just because there's no history of thyroid trouble in your family doesn't mean it's not a possibility. I'd ask about it next time you see your doctor and get it checked, just to be certain.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am also having this problem :( I was just at the doctor yesterday. My iron is fine, my thyroid medication was adjusted a month ago, I eat about 1500 calories a day and they are pretty good calories. I have always had a lot of hair and now the front is so thin :(
    The doc said it might be a fungal infection (as somebody above mentioned) and prescribe a medicated shampoo.
    I also ordered online an all natural shampoo and conditioner that is supposed to help with scalp issues which could be causing the hair loss. I am freaking out!
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My hair loss problems are due to Auto-Immune disorders. I'm NOT (repeat NOT) saying that you have one BUT if it IS more than normal I would double check with your doctor to run some blood work to test your nutrient levels. It could be something as easy to fix as an Iron deficiency as someone has already mentioned, but it might signal something else.

I ALWAYS err on the side of caution and talk to a doctor. You may come away with something like "it's part of the normal cycles our body goes through" but you may find out something else. I would rather come away from the docs with a "nothing to worry about" diagnosis than to just brush it off and it be something else more important that needs extra treatment/help.

Also, my hair has ALWAYS (even before all my health issues) gone through cycles where I lose more than other times. I would joke that I was losing my summer/winter coat (like a dog/cat) depending on the time of year. LOL
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Just because there's no history of thyroid trouble in your family doesn't mean it's not a possibility. I'd ask about it next time you see your doctor and get it checked, just to be certain.

hair loss is more likely related to an over active thyroid and not an under active thyroid. Worth getting it checked out.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me too. I take vitamins (with iron) religiously including one for hair with biotin, eat about 1700+ a day, get lots of protein, lose at a slow rate, and still my hair has been steadily falling out since April. I saw a picture of myself the other day and it's getting really noticeable in the front. My hairdresser and I estimate it's about 1/3 to 50% gone. I have to say it scares me and I actually made a doctor's appointment the other day to talk about it, but I think it's just what happens when you lose significant weight. People will tell you all sorts of things you are doing wrong to cause it, but at the end of the day, weight loss is a stressor on the body and your hair is one of the places where that stress is most evident. Supposedly, it should stop 3-6 months after the stress ends. Hopefully I won't be a cue ball by then. On the plus side, i do see a lot of tiny short hairs on the top of my head so maybe there is hope for me...
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Same problem here, been noticing it fir a few weeks... I take a d
    aily multivitamin, I hope it stops soon :-\
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    you are low in zinc and probably other vitamins, I had a similar problem before I improved my diet and started taking supplements.

its very difficult to get the nutrition you need on 1200 cals. would be worth seeing a nutritionist / calculating your TDEE to see weather 1200 is good for you.

but yah ZINC is the main one you need.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/293264-selenium-zinc-for-hair-loss/
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great responses and suggestions so far! I have a lot of research to do, but at least now I have a place to start! Keep the suggestions coming! You are all wonderful!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    also looking at your diary, in the last week you have 1 day of the five where you get your 5 servings of vegetables or fruit a day.

your eating a diet that is severely calorie restricted so you have to get 5-7 serves of vegetables (preferably) and fruit a day or you will be deficient in minerals and nutrients, without which, things like your hair fall out.

carrots, tomato, avocado, potato, vegetables!

I know your eating some, but because its 1200cals, you have to balance it very well to avoid mal nutrition.
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Biotin is a generic hair vitamin. My hair started getting a little thin -- or my part was getting wider. The biotin has helped tremendously. As a side benefit, The new crop of hair on my shoulders should help keep me warm if I forget my jacket this winter. And, the sun is no longer a problem as my eyebrows can now be knit into a perfect sunshade. :tongue: But trust me, try the biotin.
  • Dreajewkes
    Options
    I am going to refer you to a Dr Oz website that explains some reasons as to why you may be experiencing hair loss.

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/jodi-sawyer-rn/why-my-hair-falling-out

I hope you will find this helpful :smile: