Traveling to NYC - pick best fast food restaurants for me

Options

Replies

• Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Ok, avoid the typical McDee chains. first of all. Seriously.

And these are my favorites!

www.caracasarepabar.com

http://www.maxbrenner.com/home.aspx

http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    "fast" food that is not a chain-

Vanessa's Dumplings
    118A Eldridge Street New York, NY 10002
    (212) 625-8008

or

Prosperity Dumplings
    46 Eldridge Street New York, NY 10002
    (212) 343-0683

Burger chain- 5 Guys

Best burger ever- Brindle Room (it's a bit pricey tho, about $14)
    277 East 10th Street New York, NY 10009
    (212) 529-9702

good dim sum, which is often fast

Jing Fong
    20 Elizabeth Street New York, NY 10013
    (212) 964-5256
  • shoomai1227
    shoomai1227 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you plan on hitting Chinatown...there's a hole in the wall place that everyone goes to after a night of partying!! It's called Wo-Hop.

Here's a link about a review of the place:

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/wo_hop/

Enjoy your visit to New York City!!!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    whoa so many more suggestions
    I guess I'll pick the ones that appear multiple times

definetly going for hot dogs and pizza :)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    lol @ coming on a fitness site to ask about the best fast food restaurants. Classic.
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If I were in NYC and I could only pick ONE place to go...without hesitation, Max Brenner's Chocolate Restaurant.

14th and Broadway.

I could write a million words to describe how incredible this place is...but I don't have that kind of time.

Max has a bunch of these restaurants around the world but the NYC location is simply amazing.
  • Martucha123
    Options
    lol @ coming on a fitness site to ask about the best fast food restaurants. Classic.

cose here people are foodies
    where should I go if not here? I don't want gourmet meals I want burgers and pizza :)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    So I'm going to NYC next week for work (for a week).
    But I will have 1-2 days to walk around.
    I will be on my own and will have limited time to eat, so I figured I might as well try the food US is really famous of - fast food.

Here in Spain we have McDonalds, Burger King, PizzaHut, KFC, Dominos pizza, Subway and Starbucks... so I'd rather not eat in any of them, also,
    I have never ever in my life had a burrito or been to mexican type of fast food!

I wouldn't mind to include one fast food / fast service restaurant that is not chain one, but really famous in NYC

Suggestions please :flowerforyou:

IMHO why go to chains? Why not go to local places you won't have a chance to go to again?
  • Martucha123
    Options
    If I were in NYC and I could only pick ONE place to go...without hesitation, Max Brenner's Chocolate Restaurant.

14th and Broadway.

I could write a million words to describe how incredible this place is...but I don't have that kind of time.

Max has a bunch of these restaurants around the world but the NYC location is simply amazing.

sounds lush!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

are the two mutually exclusive? I would argue not.
  • Martucha123
    Options
    So I'm going to NYC next week for work (for a week).
    But I will have 1-2 days to walk around.
    I will be on my own and will have limited time to eat, so I figured I might as well try the food US is really famous of - fast food.

Here in Spain we have McDonalds, Burger King, PizzaHut, KFC, Dominos pizza, Subway and Starbucks... so I'd rather not eat in any of them, also,
    I have never ever in my life had a burrito or been to mexican type of fast food!

I wouldn't mind to include one fast food / fast service restaurant that is not chain one, but really famous in NYC

Suggestions please :flowerforyou:

IMHO why go to chains? Why not go to local places you won't have a chance to go to again?

I'd love to but I'm time limited. Chains are all over the place so it's easier...
    I don't mind throwing in 2-3 special places to visit on my off days
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Bump, I am planning a NYC weekend this fall, these suggestions are great!
  • kdf606
    kdf606 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw Shake Shack out again just so you see it multiple times... You can go to 5 guys anywhere... Shake Shack is only in a few select cities... There are about 5 in manhattan, so wherever you are, you should be able to find one fairly close by...
  • wendyrn1
    wendyrn1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For a fast food cheeseburger, I recommend Five Guys over McDonalds both are in Times Square! Enjoy your trip.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i was thinking chipotle - can't wait to go and have a burrito :)

you're going to be addicted. Mexican food is the best thing since sliced bread! ha!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    New York is know fo rtwo things great pizza and delis. Ask your hotel for the good ones close ot where you are. Just as guick as fast food but so much better.
  • docnyto
    docnyto Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm in NYC a lot, and also in Mexico a lot. Believe me, Chipotle isn't REMOTELY anything like Mexican food. No one mentions Taco Bell here ... it is the least expensive of the "fast food" options and REALLY tastes like what I find in Mexico. Also, there are MANY options that will work for someone dieting. You can have two of their Soft taco steak tacos Fresco style and still only use up 320 calories! The Cinnamon Twist desserts there are only 170 calories. There is one at 18 E. 14th Street, one at 3645 Broadway, and one at 390 8th Avenue.

Speaking of 3645 Broadway, you'll also find 5 Guys Burgers & Fries there. If you haven't had THESE great burgers (available mostly all over the US now) you haven't really had a hamburger. For anyone dieting, order the "LITTLE Hamburger" ... its the only one with only one meat patty. All toppings are free. You'll see the toppings listed at the counter. To make mine diet but delicious, I get it topped with grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, jalapenos (a little Mexican touch there), green peppers, and double A-1 sauce. To die for - like steak at a top restaurant. The fries at 5 Guys are special and you'll see it listed on the wall precisely WHERE that day's potatoes are from. They do not have a truly small order. If you are with friends, you could split an order of Regular fries. 5 Guys always "Tops off" the order and literally fills the bag with fries. If you order "regular" and don't want to be tempted by tons of fries, ask them to NOT top off the bag. This is truly one of the best hamburger & fry options in the world. Better than In & Out burgers in L.A. (I know blasphemy to say that!) Besides the 3645 Broadway location, they are also at 690 3rd Avenue and at 296 Bleecker Street.
  • docnyto
    docnyto Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for sure NO trip to NYC is complete without a visit to a Juniors Cheesecake. They are legendary and deservedly so. All kinds of cheesecake. If you like cheesecake you'll probably want to go back more than once. You'll find them at the Grand Central Train Station. This is also near where the shuttle buses go to/from LaGuardia Airport, so if you don't get a shuttle from the hotel, you may be very near this cheesecake when you arrive and when you depart. I always pick up one to eat on the way to the airport!
  • steviedrew1967
    Options
    My top recommendation to people for a quick lunch in midtown is Woorijip, a korean place.

Check out the reviews on Yelp. 964 reviews, 4 stars

http://www.yelp.com/biz/woorijip-new-york
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Good God, people--no, Chipotle is not authentic Mexican food, but it is authentic Mission style Mexican food. And it's ****ing delicious. Nothing wrong with having a burrito from there especially if you've never had one (and trust me, I live very close to Sunset Park and go to Tacos Matamoros or Tacos el Bronco all the damn time; I know authentic Mexican...)

Anyway--I'd say Chipotle, Shake Shack for sure for their burgers and "concrete" ice cream, and definitely chicken and rice from a street vendor (on practically every corner...some are better than others, but most are pretty damn good). Gray's Papaya for sure for hot dogs...there are several around the city. What about delicious Jewish deli food? Don't bother with Carnegie Deli, go to Katz' instead for great pastrami and corned beef.