Why define yourself by a clothing size?

Options
What's the obsession with defining your progress with clothing size? You do realize that it's a fabricated number, varies based on manufacturer, and isn't fixed on any actual measurements, right?

If you weighed 20lbs more in the UK than in the US, would you still consider weight to be an accurate measure of your body?

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If you weighed 20lbs more in the UK than in the US, would you still consider weight to be an accurate measure of your body?

Only if by extension I can get into a space suit and set my ticker to 0.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I've stopped counting on the scale and just want to reduce the inches of my midsection. Whatever that amounts to, who knows. But it's a goal.

Sure wish spot-reducing was real, that would rock.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Sure wish spot-reducing was real, that would rock.

The Lady Macbeth Workout
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 2, 4, 6, 8, 5, 7, 9 and sometimes 11. :indifferent:

When shopping, I grab the size I think I am, the size above, and the size below, and I'll buy whatever fits and flatters. No one can see that tag but me.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    And they are, in theory, meant to strictly correlate to actual measurements. That things vary suggests standards in manufacturing aren't as strict as they should, but a dress size isn't a random arbitrary number.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think in some regards you have to define yourself by a specific size.

I am using a personal shopper next month and she requested sizes. Am I supposed to say 'Well, on any given day I'm X, but then in this brand I'm X and in this country I'm X'? No. It's not realistic.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    And they are, in theory, meant to strictly correlate to actual measurements. That things vary suggests standards in manufacturing aren't as strict as they should, but a dress size isn't a random arbitrary number.

It's not completely random, but it's just a size in relation to other sizes by the same manufacturer. It doesn't have any meaning in terms of health or fitness. There are people twice my dress size who have less body fat.
  • jubeesh
    jubeesh Posts: 156
    Options

When shopping, I grab the size I think I am, the size above, and the size below, and I'll buy whatever fits and flatters. No one can see that tag but me.

This^.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 2, 4, 6, 8, 5, 7, 9 and sometimes 11. :indifferent:

^^^ LOVE this^^^^
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My goal was to get back into my size 8 jeans. Not necessarily because they were size "8", though I will admit a certain satisfaction with being back in the single digits. But because I was happy with my size and shape when I wore those jeans. They represented the me I wanted to get back to.

I'm wearing them right now as a matter of fact.
  • secretlobster
    Options

I think yours is the ideal answer and it shows that you aren't obsessed with a number. This makes a lot of sense... I do that too, and obviously everyone has to buy clothing and deal with the fact that they fit into a certain size based on what brand they like. I'm just wondering why people tie their self-esteem to a number like a clothing size, who are determined to squeeze into a size smaller even though it's not flattering, who NEED to be a specific size, when really no one is able to tell what clothing size you walk around in.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    And they are, in theory, meant to strictly correlate to actual measurements.

In reality, I took three pair of jeans into the dressing room, all the same brand and style, in sizes 3, 5 and 7, and the 3 and 7 both fit about the same and the 5s were tight. :laugh:

Garment workers are often paid by piece rate. When you can double your pay by going fast, you're not going to be terribly concerned about accuracy. Just accurate enough to pass inspection.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    The only reason I really care about clothing sizes is that I like to shop online. So I truly wish there was some standardization among manufacturers because I hate going to the store and trying on twelve pairs of jeans.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't like to waste time, so I find that knowing my size (6 or Medium in pretty much everything) makes it much easier to find clothing that fits quickly and easily. If I didn't define myself by that size and just grabbed random clothing in various sizes it would take me all damn day to find something that fits. Therefore, I am a size 6. Is it important to me to be that SPECIAL number? No. But it's sure convenient to know it when I'm out shopping for clothes. I hope you're not suggesting we do away with sizing. That's gonna suck when we all have to wear one size fits all stuff. :sad:

ETA: Oh, I forgot to answer the question. I do think people CAN define weight loss success by a smaller size. When I was a size 8, it was a fact that I was heavier and had more body fat. I'm a size 6 now and I am lighter and have less body fat. I'm ok with calling that a success. I agree, though, that people shouldn't set their heart on a number just for the number's sake. I think that's what you're getting at...A person may think she just NEEDS to be a size 0, like her petite friend, but depending on her body type, size 0 may not only be unattainable, but it may not look good on her either. I say go for whatever size fits your body when it's healthy. But I still see nothing wrong with identifying with the size that matches your body, as long as it's a realistic size, you know?
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't care what the actual size is as long as I look and feel good in something. I think I repeat the number 12 to myself so often only because I literally cannot believe that my @$$ fits into something that has that number on it....lmao!!
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree that it should not define you and that it can vary greatly depending on several things. However for me it is a wonderful thing to be able to say I bought a pair of size 8 jeans and they fit! Becasue when I was a tight size 16 that was not a fun size to brag about. I know that not every pair of size 8 pants will fit but for today this pair does and I'm rocking it and feeling GREAT. I alomst wish I could wear my tag on the outside.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    The only reason I really care about clothing sizes is that I like to shop online. So I truly wish there was some standardization among manufacturers because I hate going to the store and trying on twelve pairs of jeans.

Ain't this the truth! Though it's kind of nice when the online retailer gives you an idea of what their measurements are. S/M/L/XL means absolutely nothing to me anymore. I know I would be unlikely to fit in an XL, but other than that it's kind of a gamble which one will fit.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Becasue when I was a tight size 16 that was not a fun size to brag about.

I guess I just wonder why you'd go around telling people what size you are? There's a reason the size is marked on the inside instead of written right across the butt LOL
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Sometimes you can find an individual manufacturer's sizing chart on their web site. It helped me out buying some running gear. Based on the measurements they offered, I ordered a size small. Another company and it would be a medium. Just depends.

I like seeing progress in various ways. Knowing that I wore a size 12 in one brand of pants 16 months ago and today their size 6 is roomy makes me happy. But, it's just a measure of progress. I'm really more motivated by how fast I can finish my races!! That's my #1 measuring stick!!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Me too, so I just stick with certain manufacturers. Or stores like Macy's or Kohl's where I can return my online purchase. Well, EXCEPT for jeans, ha. I never buy those on line unless they are a duplicate of a current pair...