Tips for running outside?

Options
I'm doing the Couch to 5k program, and so far I have always used the treadmill at my college gym because I can go no matter what the weather is like and it's safe (I live in NY, so running in a park at night isn't very smart, lol). But I know there will be days, like this weekend, where I will have to run outside because I couldn't make it to the gym three days in a given week. I have ZERO experience doing this, so I need tips.

Where do you keep your keys when you're running? Do you feel weird exercising in public, and if so, how do you get over that? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I started I was embarrassed to be running out in public (my treadmill was in my basement LOL). But since you're running at the gym now, it really shouldn't be different from a 'public' stand point.

Keys: My running shorts and tights all have a pocket on them to put a key in. Its small so I can only fit ONE key LOL. I drive to a park to run, so I just put my car key in there and the rest of my keys are locked in the car.

I stick mostly to asphalt running/biking paths in my park. I have run cross country before (on grass, dirt, sand, mud, etc) and that's fun too. Just watch your footing so you don't twist an ankle.

There's really not a lot to it, especially at a 5K distance. You don't need to carry water or food. So I just strap on my phone, start my music and GPS apps, and go! I absolutely hate running indoors now though :-(
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I only run outside. My keys are on a keychain on y refuel pack to jingle and keep coyotes at bay. I love to run outside.
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I prefer outdoor running! Running inside just doesnt do it for me. I've been running for two years and at this point I just slap in my earbuds, crank some really great music and go :) Most of the people I see on the path are regulars with thier dogs or fellow runners and we all smile and nod as we go by, others I pay no attention to at all. I find that running is also my "meditation" time so I tend to get into a zone and appreciate my surroundings without too much thought aside from how good I feel. I think once you start outdoor running you will find it addictive, take care though because pavement running and treadmill running do feel different and you may end up a little more sore afterward.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I only run from home so having a key isn't a problem but you can always put one key in your sock or most of my running pants have a tiny pocket. You can also get a little belt for running that has a small zipper pocket for a key, ID and a chapstick.

Don't be surprised when you go outside that it's way harder than on the treadmill. If you haven't run outside you'll be shocked at how much more effort it takes to push yourself along rather than have the belt doing the work for you.
  • tracybosch
    Options
    I only run outside. Just relax and have fun. If you are on a paved trail, you don't have to watch your footing too much. I have heard that you should keep your head up (ie. don't watch your feet).
    On another note, if you are not running on the treadmill at a slight incline, I have heard that treadmill running is slightly easier than outside. So get plenty of outside practice before your 5k. :)
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Before I started running I used to be ashamed and be embarassed when i first went out. Now, i don't even think of it, in the same way when I wasn't running i didn't think anything of the runners that went past me. Quite simply, the worlds eyes are not on you. Relax and enjoy it.
  • princessnellie0629
    Options
    I've only been running outside on couch to 5k and I'm finding myself figuring out these same questions!

Here's a question I have: All my music is on my ipod, so I put that in the arm strap for when I run and listen to the Couch to 5k app as well. Sometimes I feel like I should bring my phone as well just in case I get hurt or god forbid something happens to me. I like to think my neighborhood is safe but it isn't totally unheard of for young girls being abducted or runners being attacked. I still run around the same two blocks very close to my house so I feel I could always try to run home if a creep approached me. But I would like to go further..I don't want my big bulky phone bouncing around in my pocket banging against my thigh when I run though..I know I could put all my music and the app on my phone, and just bring that with me instead of the ipod, but I don't know..what do you guys do?
  • carlyhawks05
    carlyhawks05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I only started faithfully running this year. I prefer outdoor running for the amazing scenery and feeling like I am running to get somewhere. When I run, I always run eith my Ipod and sunglasses. Sunglasses make me feel as if no one can see when I am in pain from pushing myself further! :-) I now love to run and try to get out and do it every other day! Good luck to you!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    car key gets tied to my sneaker (i unlace the top lace, slip the key on and retie). phone stuffed in sports bra. for me the biggest hurdle was running in my neighborhood. i've never felt uncomfortable running the trails at the state park or sports complex but there was something about letting my neighbors see me run that bothered me. one sunday morning (early) i took a deep breath and headed out. after about a mile into it i relaxed and focused on what i was doing. i did pass a few neighbors and they waved and said encouraging words which made me feel amazing.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've only been running outside on couch to 5k and I'm finding myself figuring out these same questions!

Here's a question I have: All my music is on my ipod, so I put that in the arm strap for when I run and listen to the Couch to 5k app as well. Sometimes I feel like I should bring my phone as well just in case I get hurt or god forbid something happens to me. I like to think my neighborhood is safe but it isn't totally unheard of for young girls being abducted or runners being attacked. I still run around the same two blocks very close to my house so I feel I could always try to run home if a creep approached me. But I would like to go further..I don't want my big bulky phone bouncing around in my pocket banging against my thigh when I run though..I know I could put all my music and the app on my phone, and just bring that with me instead of the ipod, but I don't know..what do you guys do?

My music and apps are on my phone and it goes on my arm. If you don't want to do that, try a Spibelt?
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Dreadmill is brutal, running outside is glorious. Try it once and you'll never be a hamster again.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I was embarrassed about running outside at first, because of feeling like such a slow poke. Now it doesn't bother me so much. It is kind of motivating to see the same people out there each morning, who are also running. If they can do it, then so can I. :)

I keep a single door key in the pocket of my shorts. I've been thinking about getting a Road ID, in case of an accident or emergency, but haven't done so yet.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I run outside exclusively.

I have a running belt ( http://www.spibelt.com but I've seen cheaper at 5Below or Marshalls ) that I keep my phone in, and have a spare house key on a carabiner clip that I snap on the belt. The few times I drove somewhere to run, I only took my car key, and left the rest locked in my car. (Not in plain sight, obviously.)

Sometimes people honk or yell "Run, Forrest!" when I'm out running, but I don't give a damn. I don't know them, they don't know me, we only see each other for a fraction of a second, so why should they matter at all?
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I prefer outdoor running! Running inside just doesnt do it for me. I've been running for two years and at this point I just slap in my earbuds, crank some really great music and go :) Most of the people I see on the path are regulars with thier dogs or fellow runners and we all smile and nod as we go by, others I pay no attention to at all. I find that running is also my "meditation" time so I tend to get into a zone and appreciate my surroundings without too much thought aside from how good I feel. I think once you start outdoor running you will find it addictive, take care though because pavement running and treadmill running do feel different and you may end up a little more sore afterward.
    ^^ this. And if you're worried about something happening to you, roadid.
    http://www.roadid.com/c/RoadID

I just got the interactive version. It's $20 and comes with a 1 year membership. Each year thereafter is $9.99. Pretty cheap investment.
  • muffn43
    muffn43 Posts: 10
    Options
    I was running outside. I found it much easier but when it got to hot out I invested into a good ifit treadmill and at that point is I tore a high hamstring tendon. I never went to the doc thinking it was something else and I would just get better. After a month I tried to get back into exercise with pain but refused to quit.......long story short I damanged the tendon and over a year later I am still dealing with this injury including falling down from weakness, having cortozone shots not helping. Now I have to go back to the doctors to see what is next. I was told I cannot use a treadmill anymore so I sold my beaufiful treadmill :(

Don't push to hard on a treadmill
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options

I use my phone. Its not much bigger than my ipod and I feel I need it with me in case of emergency.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Running outside doesn't make me feel weird because I'm in "public" any more than running on a treadmill would make me feel weird. I do run in an area that is frequented by other runners, though. It never feels weird.

Keys either go in a small key pocket in my running shorts, I also have a SPI (small personal items) belt in case I'm wearing a pair that doesn't have pockets. I also have a keychain that makes it easy to remove my house or car key so it takes up less space. I love the SPI belt especially if I need to have my phone with me.

I started C25K on a treadmill, will never go back to it unless all of outside happens to be on fire.
  • jennynewbury
    jennynewbury Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I started out indoors on a treadmill doing C25k. One session outside shocked me how much harder it was so I completed the C25k indoors with the treadmill on an incline which seemed (to me anyway!) to make transitioning outside easier. Key goes in the teeny tiny pocket of my shorts/tights or in my gloves if its really cold. I dont tend to bother with music or phone or anything like that - Ive got a GPS watch that I use for pace/distance and I quite like the company of my own thoughts as I'm running. Plus I tend to run in a rather built up area with quite heavy traffic and its always handy for me to be able to hear whats going on around me! Now I find I dread running the treadmill on days that weather extremes force me indoors.
  • tjmist
    tjmist Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm also from nyc - so i might be the only one on here who prefers running indoors! I'm training now and did most of my training on the treadmill to avoid sketchy people at night and traffic lights for when i want to track my time. I recently started to run outside by the east river to get a feel for the pavement in preparation of race day. I put a light zip up jacket on that I could easily take off and tie around my wait if i got hot, i had my iphone in an armband, and i slipped my key into the back of the arm band. I've tried putting my key in my shoe and I personally found it really uncomfortable. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I only run outside. My keys are on a keychain on y refuel pack to jingle and keep coyotes at bay. I love to run outside.

Coyotes? Now thats motivation!