Chicago Vs New York The Pizza Debate

Options

Replies

• MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    NYC. Best place = Arturo's on Houston. Thin crust and brick oven-baked. The best I've ever had (including Italy).
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Chicago. Love the deep dish.

I'm the same way.

Giordano's
    Best pizza in the city.

Agreed, my fave joint.
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    knife n fork vs fold with fingers

Chicagostuffed.png
    NYthin.png
    sorry
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Pizza is win no matter where it's from.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    I'm surprised so many Chicago pizza fans like Giordano's. It's all about the Lou Malnati's...get the butter crust with sausage and green peppers, yum!

I think you know what my answer is ;)
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    This might get ugly...
    I am from New York but :heart: LOVE :heart: a Chicago deep dish style pizza with a really big thick crust!:blushing:
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    I personally hold the opinion that both are delicious...

That being said, I don't consider Chicago style "pizza" as pizza. True pizza, like that served at John's, Lombardi's, or Patsy's in NY, is cooked in an extremely high oven for a very, very short amount of time, and has a extremely thin crust. Chicago style pizza is an entirely different thing entirely than what pizza was created as. Just because they have the same ingredients doesn't make them the same thing. Is a taco the same thing as a enchilada because they both have filled tortillas and cheese? Nope. Why does it have to apply to pizza.

But again, they are both delicious.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment that Chicago pizza isn't pizza. It seems more like a pie or stew. Pizza shouldn't need to be eaten with a knife/fork.

By the way, tacos, burritos, enchiladas, gorditas all seem the same to me.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I personally hold the opinion that both are delicious...

That being said, I don't consider Chicago style "pizza" as pizza. True pizza, like that served at John's, Lombardi's, or Patsy's in NY, is cooked in an extremely high oven for a very, very short amount of time, and has a extremely thin crust. Chicago style pizza is an entirely different thing entirely than what pizza was created as. Just because they have the same ingredients doesn't make them the same thing. Is a taco the same thing as a enchilada because they both have filled tortillas and cheese? Nope. Why does it have to apply to pizza.

But again, they are both delicious.

Yeah, after going to Italy in HS, I realized "pizza" is american.

Cheese on a flour "potato chip" is no my idea of pizza. As part of our trip we got to make a pizza at a local pizzeria in Rome, and they looked like at us like we were nuts for what we put on the pizzas. I tried pizza at several places on our trip, but the one I made myself blew away any of the others I tried.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    1. St. Louis
    2. New York
    3. Chicago
    :bigsmile:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Both. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They are so different, I personally don't think it has to be a choice.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    There is no debate Chicago makes thick pizza pies and NY sells pizza the way pizza should be.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    This might get ugly...
    I am from New York but :heart: LOVE :heart: a Chicago deep dish style pizza with a really big thick crust!:blushing:

A woman after my own heart..
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Chicago. Love the deep dish.

I'm the same way.

Giordano's
    Best pizza in the city.

I agree!
    I also favor Pizzeria Uno
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    As far as store bought pizza, I'd say Brooklyn style. But the best pizza I ever had was my mom's. She is a first generation American whose parents were from Italy. I don't know what you would classify hers as, but I have never, in any restaurant, had pizza as good as hers. Oh damn ... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    From my photo you can guess where I'm from. Chicago Pizza, in all forms, is delicious. But I'm more of a thin crust guy. And even 'thin crust' can be broken down into several different categories. I think NY style is its own category. And you dont have to go to NY to get it, just go to Sbarro.

Oh, and GO BEARS!
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Chicago all the way! But Giordano's and Lou Malnati's are way overrated!

Best places in Chicago for pizza are Villa Palermo, JB Alberto's, Gigio's, Piece, and Nancy's.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    They both suck!

Minsky's and Fun House rule! KCMO!
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    Chicago all the way! But Giordano's and Lou Malnati's are way overrated!

Best places in Chicago for pizza are Villa Palermo, JB Alberto's, Gigio's, Piece, and Nancy's.

JB ALBERTO'S!!! YESS!!!
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Favorite Chicago Pizza place?

New York Pizza place??

This place called Vinny's in my neighborhood. :)

You're not in Carroll Gardens, are you? (though, logically, in NYC there are a million 'Vinny's Pizzeria')