That runners high i keep hearing about

Options

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I feel full of energy after run, even when I'm exhausted, mainly mentally. I would not describe it as high but I guess that's what you are talking about. Well, I think that more advanced you are more you will need to get there. At first when I started 15 minutes of slow jogging was enough. Now not, maybe 40 min minimum. Also, I'm sure there are many people who would not feel any "high". Like I barely feel it too...

Depends on what you take before your run.

Could you expound on this?
    Weed... :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I gotta be a logn run, like 10 or more miles. I get into it and start to feel it proabably aroudn mile 6 or so. Then I just kind of get on this high, and I feel like I'm floating...like I'm not even running. Almost like an out of body experience. Like I am just sitting on the side watching myself run. It's the most awesome feeling ever.
  • Heath1127
    Heath1127 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It seems to be different for everyone. I used to get it at about 3 miles and then as my endurance improved I lost it and then found it again at 5 miles and then lost it again as I pushed further. I really enjoy running but it isn't until I get to 10 to 12 miles now that I really get stoked anymore.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I smoke a bowl before i go running. :) problem solved.

I hit a stride usually after the 1st mile. It goes away close to to 2.5. I usually run 5K
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I run 3 miles 4 times a week, and I don't think I really know what that 'high' feeling is. I do know I feel great after a run, though. Actually, since I started running, I feel pretty good most of the time.
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't feel it every run; but when I do it's usually 45 minutes to an hour in. It may last 5 minutes or it might last 30. It's like everything just clicks--muscles are warm and loose, you hit your stride, your breathing and heart rate feel effortless, your mind is clear. When it hits on the road I feel like a Kenyan. When I'm on the trails I feel like a deer. Okay, that may be a little far-fetched; but you get the idea!
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It varies for me too, sometimes I hit it when I do a 5k distance and other times I don't get it at all. When I do longer runs I feel it about 2 to 3 miles in but I usually lose it when I hit 11 or 12 miles.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I don't get it every run but I do have a general sense of well-being that is present all the time because I run. My mood is elevated, I can think more clearly and I feel happier. I don't stay angry as long when I get angry and I am more likely to let things go. When I do get a real runner's high, sometimes it lasts for hours. The strongest I felt was incredible and lasted hours after. I felt like I was on some kind of narcotic like percocet. My whole body tingled and I felt this lightness in my head. I was euphoric beyond anything I've experienced and I've been chasing that feeling ever since. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. Typically it lasts for about an hour after my run is done, if I get it. I love running.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    It seems to be different for everyone. I used to get it at about 3 miles and then as my endurance improved I lost it and then found it again at 5 miles and then lost it again as I pushed further. I really enjoy running but it isn't until I get to 10 to 12 miles now that I really get stoked anymore.

This!!
  • Raya1980
    Options
    I think it depends on different factors, I know I felt it last night when I took my dog for a run and it was kinda cold outside. I use to feel that same "high" when I would run while it was rainning.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I kind of want to know this, too...

I'm currently running between 4-5 miles 3-4x per week. I just started running in May after not running since middle school. At first it was very difficult to do, but I liked the changes that I saw happening with my body, so I stuck with it. I think I'm addicted now, because I get crabby if I don't get my runs in and I like the solitude to think about life...

How much different does the 'high' feel?

I know I am addicted and I think that is the high everyone is talking about- its the feeling of wanting to do another run, its not an actual stoned type of high but just a good feeling that comes from doing something good for yourself!
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Mine usually hits about mile 2 but a fantastic playlist must be involved. If I am not feeling my music the "high" doesn't occur. That is just me though. I consider running my therapy. I get all cranky when I can't get a good run in. :sad:
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I guess I do not experience runners high as early as most people - I usually feel something like runners high when I am in "good" condition after about mile 12.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. I've gotten it at 1.5 miles, 3 miles and sometimes 10 minutes after I'm done running. I don't know if there's any way to get the endorphins consistently.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I kind of want to know this, too...

I'm currently running between 4-5 miles 3-4x per week. I just started running in May after not running since middle school. At first it was very difficult to do, but I liked the changes that I saw happening with my body, so I stuck with it. I think I'm addicted now, because I get crabby if I don't get my runs in and I like the solitude to think about life...

How much different does the 'high' feel?

That's the high for many! You begin to love it and crave it. I always feel great after my runs and have a sense of accomplishment!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I usually get it after about 20-30 minutes. The only way I can describe it is PURE BLISS. It works better than any pain pill I've ever taken and I thank GOD when I get it. I have a lot of aches and pains and when it kicks in, I feel like Wonder Woman. No more foot pain, knee pain is gone, my mood is better, I feel like I can run forever and never get out of breath. I'm addicted to it and wish I had it more often.
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't think it happens at the moment, but I have found that after running everyday for 3 days that I am in a much better mood :)
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options

I think is must be different for eveyone, I just feel like I own the world, and it is just so darn peaceful
    This is the best description for me. Some runs are tortured and then sometimes I just feel on top of the world. Distance doesn't really make a difference. I'll hit my high on short runs or long runs. Depends on the day.