When to post success on social networks?

Options

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I posted just before I hit my goal and again when I hit my goal.

I probably won't post anymore updates about my challenges or goals because this milestone was one that I didn't even think I'd reach, so anything beyond here is just a 'personal' goal.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just do it... :smile:
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Post what you want, when you want. If anyone dislikes it, *delete*
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have pictures of myself on FB - I guess they can figure it out from there if they want. But as far as confessing to my friends - oh god no.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I posted a picture of myself with my tummy showing and two thumbs up after 20 lbs. I haven't lost any more, but since then I've gained muscle. Next time I do it, I'll have visible muscles and abs.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Go for shock value and wait until you are done, so the people who don't get to see you often are in aww.

yeah wait until you are at your goal weight. very few want to hear about your exercise and pounds lost on any kind of regular basis.
  • phatnotfat81
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL for you input! The only reason I am a bit skiddish about posting on fb is because, I have seen more than one friend post that they were tired of seeing weight loss related posts. One guy went as far as saying he didn't want to know everytime someone worked out or what they ate; he wanted to see results!!! That has been my main reason for not making an official post. I have made vague comments on others posts, but never about what exercise I'm doing, how much I've lost, or what I've had for a meal or snack. I can understand both sides (the annoyance of over posting and how it is inspirational).
    Most of the people that are important in my lfe do know about my success and progress, but I do have family and close friends that live several hours away.
    It looks like I should create a personal private fitness page just for those that will truly care and then wait I reach my ultimate goal for everyone else...

If you feel you should post it, then by all means, you should. And like someone else said, it could very well motivate others to do the same. Those who gripe about it most are usually the ones who refuse to take their health serious. Congrats btw, you look great! Keep up the good work!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to see an occasional post about someone who is exercising, eating right, and losing weight/reaching fitness goals.

It would break up the monotony of all the halfwit political opinions and couples smooshy-moosh-mooshing on each other's walls all day. :smile:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't post it on facebook personally. Every other week somebody I know posts about how they're "hitting the gym today!" and then never goes back or "lost 15 pounds!" and then two weeks last complaining how out of shape they are again. I guess seeing fitness posts on facebook can get annoying (for me) and I just keep it completely separate by using MFP.

Just post pictures of yourself every now and then and people will notice. Any other way just feels like fishing for compliments in my opinion.. but I'm also the kind of person that gets freaked out/embarassed when somebody outside of MFP notices my weight loss.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I post updates periodically, and almost every single one of my friends are supportive. Granted, I only have around 200 or so, but that's because I dont' fill my FB up with strangers. The people that matter to me, who aren't living close by, ARE my support network. And so, I don't post all the time, but every 10-15 pounds I lose, I post about it. It feels GREAT to get that positive feedback.

I guess it just depends on what kind of FB friends you have though.
  • AngelaJordan712
    AngelaJordan712 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My entire journey is on FB even my starting weight...I post every week and have posted before and after pics...depending on your friends...mine are extremely supportive and give suggestions on workouts and such
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I post every ten pounds lost; but I have a lot of friends and family members who are genuinely interested in weight-loss campaigns and we cheer each other on whether it's about weight loss or marathons run or WODs completed :-)
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I post almost weekly... my friends there are really motivational for me plus I feel way more accountable when people are watching lol. Also I have inspired at least a half a dozen friends to start a weight loss journey including my partners parents who have both lost a bunch now too... I think it depends on the type of person you are ... for me I am very open about it.
    I'm the same way. I post every time I lose 5 lbs. I just did 30 Day Shred & posted daily. It's a great tool for me to hold myself accountable, my friends are great & super encouraging. I've also inspired a lot of people to start their own journey. Because of all the people I've inspired, I know I can never quit, stop, give up. I'd be disappointing a lot of people.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't currently post anything about my efforts or successes on FB, but I do plan to put one post when I reach my goal. I'll probably just put something like "reached my goal, 70 pounds lost!" and post a before and after pic. And then drop it. I've found that people who aren't also trying to lose weight get sick of hearing about calories and exercise really fast. The exception is my hubby, he doesn't have a choice! :devil:
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you should feel free to share the things that are important with you on your own facebook page. That is your own network of people, and if they don't want to share in your successes or what makes you happy, then let them block your page. I always think it's funny that people think others should alter their facebook content because some may not want to read the updates. Like others said, the unsubscribe button is there for a reason... those who are genuinely interested in your accomplishments will support you.

I actually love seeing posts from others trying to better themselves in small or large ways, and I want to be able to support them in the effort as well as the accomplishment. I enjoy watching their journey, I like seeing their struggles & setbacks as well, because it reminds me that we all stumble on our path, we just have to remember to get back up. My facebook page is filled with family, close friends and some I have never even met, but the ones I spend the most time connecting with are the ones posting about animal rights/rescue efforts, healthy eating & recipe sharing, trying to get & stay in shape... To others we probably seem boring as all hell, but "our" facebook experience is what we are there to gain from & what we make of it, and is enjoyable to us because we don't hold back on sharing too much of ourselves for fear of others not wanting to see it.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    just curious... at what weight loss would someone post their success on fb and it be significant or worthwhile? I haven't posted my weight loss on fb yet (other than just commenting on others posts) and I haven't posted any before and afters on fb yet... i have currently lost 76.5 lbs. and have about 50 lbs more to go...

I waited until today to do a bragging announcement/status on FB. My brother takes pics of me all the time and throws them on FB to track my weight loss also though ... It has never bothered me what so ever.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I made one post that basically admitted that I regained weight back and a couple of side-by-side picture posts showing the progress. I am pretty much in maintenance now so I won't be posting about it much, but I don't see anything wrong with it either.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I dont post anything on fb. The pictures will do the talking when i get round to posting. Looking forward to having people notice in real life esp with family at christmas
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I still haven't! There is a good possibility some may not even know I've lost any at all! LOL I have posted a few pictures but I have at min 75lbs to go still. If the are close enough they see it but otherwise I doubt they notice since most of the photos I've shared are face/upper body.
  • ceeegeee
    Options
    Once in awhile I put a picture on fb. The last one was a few weeks ago and I got a lot of comments on how good I looked. One person wrote that I look so much younger (loved that!). I haven't said anything about weight loss though. As someone else said maybe when I reach 100 I will just put "100" on my status.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!