5 Pounds A Month March 2010 Challenge

Options

Replies

• JABehler
    JABehler Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Okay, count me in again this month. I didn't lose the 5 lbs in Feb. (I weighed yesterday) but this morning I was down. I'm so pleased. I also do not like to weigh too often. Too discouraging for me. So once a week is fine with me. Thanks to all here. I enjoy reading your posts and ideas. Oh yeah, I bought a new scale yesterday from Costco. I got a Taylor digital so maybe that will be better than the old kind. We'll see.
    Jacque
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I had a hard weekend that I need to shake off! :grumble:
    When I fall off my plan I feel so yucky the next day. But it is harder for me to say no to all the little things I need to not eat. This weekend was bad, I didn't even log Sunday.
    Two steps forward, one step back! Two steps forward, one step back! :sad: This dance I do is starting to get old. But it is a new mth and a new 5 lb goal!

Soooo.....
    What do you do to get your head back in the game after a slip up?

Jenn, sorry to hear about your weekend. It is truly difficult to get back into the grove. Phyljen has it right... it is the past and leave it there. We are all human and sometimes we don't stick with our plan. Life just gets in the way. Sometimes I just tired of the struggle. It sucks! So you wake up and pick one thing that you can change. When you are done with that you pick something else. Pretty soon you are back. It just sneaks up on you. Good luck sweetie... we are here for you
    Sandy
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join in. I had a great start on MFP, and then over the last few weeks I have fallen into bad habits of not logging in, not exercising consistently, etc. etc.

I am also addicted to weighing myself every day, so I'm going to think seriously about doing it just once a week. I'm back at my regular yoga twice a week and strength training (ok, and gossiping with the girls!) once a week, and walking with a friend for an hour once a week, but I know it's not enough cardio. I was pretty successful at the beginning by running in place for 15 minutes every day - at least it was a start. If it's not social, I just have a hard time getting motivated.

But here goes. I weighed 134 this morning, up 3 pounds from 2 weeks ago. So 129 is my goal (OMG!!! The Twenties!! Haven't been there in a decade.

Karin
  • CdnWalker
    CdnWalker Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I hope this will be my motivation to get back on track after recovering from whiplash. Count me in... I have to weigh in tomorrow morning to really know where I am starting.

Good luck everyone,.
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    Hello and welcome all newbies! Will edit for personal welcomes later (have to get something to a client right now).

April, wanted to post here in response to your post in the February thread to make sure you would see it.
    I am doing my workouts and for the most part staying in my calories, I just can't seem to get my metabolism going. It is very frustrating. I feel stronger, but I guess I just haven't had that break through yet in changes showing up on the scale!

April, I have the same problem - slow metabolism - I was disappointed that I only lost 2.5 pounds this month. However, I am hanging onto something I heard from a weight loss expert the other day on Dr. Oz. How much are you exercising? If a lot, you may be putting on a fair amount of muscle while losing fat - since muscle weighs more, you aren't seeing the results on the scale yet, even though you are making progress. I know that when I did an old Beach Body program, Slim in 6 (very intense), I lost a lot during the 1st week (mainly water) and then slowed for a couple of weeks. However, the last 3 weeks, the weight just started to "melt off". It might be something to think about. Also, if you have been doing the same routine for a while, changing it up could be what you need to boost your metabolism!

Anyway, I won't give up if you won't! :bigsmile:
  • maytanewfie
    Options
    Okay, I'm in, that seems like a good starting point!!
  • twt1999bird
    Options
    I am so proud of myself. I did a spin class and a step class last night at Gold's. Burned over 1000 calories. I love my HRM!!!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Today is my official weigh-in of 173.4...so, by the end of the month I should break the 170's...hopefully, my trip to Mexico will not derail my efforts. Good luck everyone!!!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Thank you Phyljen, Terri, and Sandy. You are all right. I do know what I need to do or rather NOT do to lose weight. I find myself doing all or nothing. I know I am not going to change this overnight, but I feel like all my hard work is for nothing after these bad days. I work so hard and do so well and then I blow it. :explode:
    I am back on track now as far as eating, but I do need to get back into my nightly workouts.
    Why or why is the weekend so hard for me!

Thanks for the support!
  • osram34
    osram34 Posts: 54
    Options
    Im down... i was clocked at 190 today and ready to leave the 90's for good this time around :)

Head Strong To TaKe on ANyOne
  • JABehler
    JABehler Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I remember a wise person telling me once that scales can be our enemy. That is so true, that is why I ony weigh, at most, once a week. I, too, notice a big difference in scales wherever you go. I had surgery a couple of weeks ago and upon weighing in prior to surgery (first thing in the morning, no food, no drink) I was up 3 lbs. from my home scale. Last week we had gone to visit my daughter in Seattle (a little closer to sea level than where I live) and her scale weighed me 5 lbs. heavier. I guess what we need to do is use one scale as a basis and forget what all the others are saying. Keeps the insanity down.
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I joined the site last year and was doing great, then fell off the wagon. My husband and I joined a gym last month and made a pact that if I can lose 35 pounds by September 5 (our 1 year anniversary!) , we can start making plans to have a baby. This is going to be great motivation! I weighed in today at 228.6, and would like to set my goal for 222 lbs. Are there going to be any weekly exercise challenges?
    That is an amazing goal. Knowing that all thats standing between you and having a beautiful baby is some weight. What incredible incentive to get fit. I wish you great results in your journey to fitness! :flowerforyou:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Thank you Phyljen, Terri, and Sandy. You are all right. I do know what I need to do or rather NOT do to lose weight. I find myself doing all or nothing. I know I am not going to change this overnight, but I feel like all my hard work is for nothing after these bad days. I work so hard and do so well and then I blow it. :explode:
    I am back on track now as far as eating, but I do need to get back into my nightly workouts.
    Why or why is the weekend so hard for me!

Thanks for the support!

I am having one of those days where I am blowing it I know it and feel a bit out of control! The 3-two-year-old boys that I take care of are having one of those days where they are battling for every toy, everything I say not to do they do and the almost 4-year old girl I take care of instigating by telling them to break the rules. I grabbed a handful of peanut m&ms and had eaten them before I realized what I was doing! Now it is nap time and 2 of them fell asleep instantly so I am hoping they were tired and their behavior will improve. As soon as the 4 year old dozes off I am going to put myself in the office and do a work-out! Maybe that will improve my mood also!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I joined the site last year and was doing great, then fell off the wagon. My husband and I joined a gym last month and made a pact that if I can lose 35 pounds by September 5 (our 1 year anniversary!) , we can start making plans to have a baby. This is going to be great motivation! I weighed in today at 228.6, and would like to set my goal for 222 lbs. Are there going to be any weekly exercise challenges?
    That is an amazing goal. Knowing that all thats standing between you and having a beautiful baby is some weight. What incredible incentive to get fit. I wish you great results in your journey to fitness! :flowerforyou:

Good luck with your weight loss..such as incentive for a healthy baby

I like the idea of weekly exercise challenges...maybe set in minutes
  • apparatus195316
    apparatus195316 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    January starting weight: 154
    February 1 weight: 148
    March 1st weight: 145.5

April 1st Goal: 140

I can do it!
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Terri, Did you get that exercise in? I know how stress can add to grabbing handfuls of un healthy snacks. I have had to work on report cards all day today and so I packed plenty of carrots, cukes, and yellow and red peppers so I'd have something healthy to snack on all day. but then I got tired of them and went and bought a bag of pop corn. That is my favorite snack. I feel like I am getting a cold today too and keep sneezing. I should get to bed and just rest. I'd really like to call in sick tomorrow but it is a pain to write up lesson plans. All you teachers out there know what I mean. By the way PAM where are you? I hope that you are still planing to be in the challenge?
    well I have done so much correcting papers and recording grade in my grade book that I am seeing double so I am heading to bed RIGHT now. Had an early morning swim this morning in nice warm water but ti was an out door pool at 5 am so maybe the cold air and the hot water was not a good combination? Actually I think I got the cold from my son who was sick last week. Only two more days of this week and then I have a week end. Boy this week is going fast. HOPE my FAT will go as fast as the week.:laugh: It will be weigh in before I know it. Phyljen... good night folks. My bed is calling me!!!!!!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Terri, Did you get that exercise in? I know how stress can add to grabbing handfuls of un healthy snacks. I have had to work on report cards all day today and so I packed plenty of carrots, cukes, and yellow and red peppers so I'd have something healthy to snack on all day. but then I got tired of them and went and bought a bag of pop corn. That is my favorite snack. I feel like I am getting a cold today too and keep sneezing. I should get to bed and just rest. I'd really like to call in sick tomorrow but it is a pain to write up lesson plans. All you teachers out there know what I mean. By the way PAM where are you? I hope that you are still planing to be in the challenge?
    well I have done so much correcting papers and recording grade in my grade book that I am seeing double so I am heading to bed RIGHT now. Had an early morning swim this morning in nice warm water but ti was an out door pool at 5 am so maybe the cold air and the hot water was not a good combination? Actually I think I got the cold from my son who was sick last week. Only two more days of this week and then I have a week end. Boy this week is going fast. HOPE my FAT will go as fast as the week.:laugh: It will be weigh in before I know it. Phyljen... good night folks. My bed is calling me!!!!!!

I hope you feel better after a good night's sleep. I just read something yesterday about popcorn. The following quote is from this month's Shape Magazine

"You probably don't think of your afternoon bag of popcorn as a superfood, but you should. A recent study from the University of Scranton found that the snack contains up to six times the antioxidents called poly phenols as fruits and vegetables. (In the cereal category raisin bran scored the highest). We used to believe fiber was the reason whole grains protect against heart disease and cancer said the lead researcher, but our research suggests their polyphenol content may be more important. "

So Phyljen enjoy that bag of popcorn, it is good for you!

I got in an awesome workout during nap time. I got on the treadmill for 60 minutes and burned 700 calories then jumped on the stationary bike and burned another 300. I feel completely destressed. 3 kids are still sleeping so I know they were so out of sorts because they were tired. I am sitting here talking to the one awake. He even took a 2 hour nap today. (I affectionately call him the energizer bunny. He is the youngest in the group and he just keeps going and going!) This room is starting to smell bad...I think I need to go change a diaper!

Terri
  • DixonKels
    DixonKels Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Good luck with your weight loss..such as incentive for a healthy baby

I like the idea of weekly exercise challenges...maybe set in minutes

Thanks! It really is good motivation! Every time I get that feeling that I don't want to go to the gym, I just start thinking about how much I want a healthy baby (and healthy pregnancy for me!), and it really makes me get my butt up and go! I was thinking maybe something in minutes, or even just trying to up your water intake. I think something simple like that can be even more motivating for the week!
  • aprildh
    aprildh Posts: 90
    Options
    Thanks for encouraging me.
    I am working out everyday or at least 5-6 days a week, I have a hard time getting a workout in on Sundays with all the church activities. Plus, I am trying to stay under my calorie goal, so far though this has not worked for me, or at least it is taking my body a long time to begin losing the pounds. I'm trying to stay encouraged. I'm a type 1 diabetic and I just wonder if I have any working metabolism at all. I can tell through the workouts that I am getting stronger, I'm just not seeing the drop in weight yet. I did run across a friend last week who said it took her 21/2 months of working out and eating right and then all of a sudden one morning the weight finally started coming off. I hope one morning I'll wake up soon and will see a difference.
    April
  • MrWeir
    MrWeir Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm there, dude! 10 for the past couple weeks, so I think I can manage 5 in the month of March.

Here's hoping.