Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Options

Replies

• coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    SO I have been using taco shells for "sandwiches". I did tuna fish in 1 taco shell and egg salad in another. Its not that bad. A little messy but hey..
  • rtownzen
    rtownzen Posts: 6
    Options
    i'm so glad to see there's such a large gluten free community here! i'm gluten free and it's such a struggle cuz i'm in college, on a meal plan that is far from accommodating. i'm lactose intolerant, so i don't eat any dairy as well (i was a vegetarian before i came, and then i developed both my gluten and lactose intolerances...so now i'm basically vegan AND gluten free!). next year will be the same as well, i won't have a kitchen. i feel like the only options for me to eat are fruits/veggies, nuts, rice chex, potatoes and rice and i've gained so much weight! it's hard because i want to diet and i don't know what the best way to eliminate foods would be, as i eat such a small variety as it is. i've stopped eating potatoes (at least white ones) and rice and it hasn't made that much of a difference at all! any ideas?
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ok this might not have any connection, but is there any way it could cause you to have a hard time losing weight? Or maybe lactose intolerance? I'm trying to figure out if i'm lactose intolerant.
  • soccerfanatic10
    soccerfanatic10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i'm so glad to see there's such a large gluten free community here! i'm gluten free and it's such a struggle cuz i'm in college, on a meal plan that is far from accommodating. i'm lactose intolerant, so i don't eat any dairy as well (i was a vegetarian before i came, and then i developed both my gluten and lactose intolerances...so now i'm basically vegan AND gluten free!). next year will be the same as well, i won't have a kitchen. i feel like the only options for me to eat are fruits/veggies, nuts, rice chex, potatoes and rice and i've gained so much weight! it's hard because i want to diet and i don't know what the best way to eliminate foods would be, as i eat such a small variety as it is. i've stopped eating potatoes (at least white ones) and rice and it hasn't made that much of a difference at all! any ideas?

Talk to the schools nutritionist. Celiac is considered a disability and is under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Basically they have to try and offer you some type of accomidation but it can be very little, see below.

I'm in college but I commute as its so much easier to live at home and eat. One school I wanted to go to was not accomidating at all to my needs. It was becoming too much of a headache. The most they would provide me was a freezer where I could put things like bread. They said the chefs would prepare something special if I wanted but I didn't want to risk the cross contamination. In a place like a dinning hall its about getting the food done fast and in large quantities. I couldn't be sure that I would get someone who knew about the disease, cross contamination etc that would be making my food.

Another one of the local schools (about 45 minutes away) had an article in the school newspaper about students with Celiac disease and other food intolerances and allergies. They worked with the schools nutritonists and went over the meal plans for the week and looked for what the students could eat. The nutrionists were really fired up about trying to help the students. They mentioned its not just the dinning hall but the little shops on campus don't have any GF foods which makes it really hard.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Other than the nuts, what are you doing for protein? The rest of your diet sounds pretty much like high glycemic carbs - great way to gain weight. I would look into some protein supplement, like a soy protein shake, as a way to boost your protein intake without all the fat that comes with the nuts. (Not that you want to cut out all the fat, but you know what I mean, your primary protein source shouldn't come with high fat)
  • runnerdad
    Options
    Ok this might not have any connection, but is there any way it could cause you to have a hard time losing weight? Or maybe lactose intolerance? I'm trying to figure out if i'm lactose intolerant.
    You can be temporarily lactose intolerant if your celiac / gluten allergy is not well controlled, because it affects your digestion. Going gluten free and allowing your intestine to heal may make you more lactose tolerant. (I admit, lactose intolerance is relatively common, unrelated to gluten disorders, just saying)
  • Cassia
    Options
    ok thanks! Does anyone find it easier to lose weight after discovering your allergie?
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I lost about 20 pounds when I found out I was allergic to wheat and stopped eating it. It only took a couple months. It hasn't made it easier to lose the rest of the weight though ;) Gluten intolerance is different though. My scrawny kids gained weight after we took them off gluten, but they are still skinny. But if gluten is part of your weight problem, then it likely will make it easier to lose weight if eating properly. Ugh, that sounds clear as mud huh? I'm too tired, lol.
  • Cassia
    Options
    naw... i understand what you mean :D thanks!
  • lisa4kids
    lisa4kids Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi...
    I just started a gluten free diet due to probable wheat allergy and possible celiac disease. I was tested for celiac 2 years ago, but the biopsy at that point was negative, however my current doctor doesn't think biospies are totally accurate sometimes. Most recently, my stomach had blown up like a balloon and I looked pregnant. I have been simply miserable and living on Gas-Ex. In just 2 days of eating without wheat in my diet, I already feel a lot better. The increase in fruits and vegetables that I've made, have also helped my IBS problems.
    I'm looking for as many pointers to living gluten free as possible...and hoping to take off some weight in the meantime!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Hi...
    I just started a gluten free diet due to probable wheat allergy and possible celiac disease. I was tested for celiac 2 years ago, but the biopsy at that point was negative, however my current doctor doesn't think biospies are totally accurate sometimes. Most recently, my stomach had blown up like a balloon and I looked pregnant. I have been simply miserable and living on Gas-Ex. In just 2 days of eating without wheat in my diet, I already feel a lot better. The increase in fruits and vegetables that I've made, have also helped my IBS problems.
    I'm looking for as many pointers to living gluten free as possible...and hoping to take off some weight in the meantime!

As far as losing weight, look back through these posts- I just posted something yesterday or the day before about not substituting gluten free versions of regular foods if you're concerned with calories or losing weight. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • soccerfanatic10
    Options
    Hi...

You sound like me. It took 3 years for me to finally get a positive Celiac disease diagnosis. I kept being told I had IBS but once I went GF all my IBS symptoms disappeared.

A big key is to read labels on EVERYTHING. Even things that may look safe could have gluten, wheat, barley, malt, rye, or oats all things you need to stay away from. You can look for gluten free oats, some people have been able to tolerate them. If you could eat oats before and be fine then you should be ok. Some companies will bold the word wheat or gluten, some won't that is why you need to read. Also sometimes the item looks fine (no wheat or gluten) but farther down the ingredient list will be malt which is usually not bolded.

If you have a Whole Foods near you that would be a great place to go or any type of health food store. Check Kroger or a similar grocery store. My Kroger has some nice GF selections.

GF food is more calorie dense than non GF packaged items so be careful. GF food is also pretty expensive so it can add up. However, lean meats like chicken, turkey, fruits and veggies, are always GF.
  • ccaruso219
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Got a question for all of you....Are any of you taking any supplements to offset any of the vitamins lost from not eating wheat? I was watching Dr. Oz the other day and a woman with Celiac asked if there was anything she could do because she feels tired all the time....He recommended that she take L-Carnitine. I was at my local VitaminWorld last night and the woman there told me that it is possible that it will help boost energy because it is supposed to boost your metabolism and it helps with weight loss. Does anybody use this or anything like it? I just started using it this morning so I'll let you guys know how it works....Oh by the way any products made by Vitaminworld are gluten free.......
  • runnerdad
    Options
    However, lean meats like chicken, turkey, fruits and veggies, are always GF.

An meat is naturally gluten free, but you have to be careful with turkey that is 'internally basted' - the broth they inject isn't necessarily GF.
  • yvonneh
    yvonneh Posts: 64
    Options
    Whats everyone doing to "keep things moving". Are you adding a daily laxative or metamuccil daily? I dont eat the breads or pastas really and I cant get enough veggies in. Now on South Beach and its really a problem...Any thoughts?

Try adding a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseed into your diet. You can sprinkle them on salads, put them in smoothies, or just mix it in with some juice/liquid (but drink right after you stir, and it will tast bland).
  • soccerfanatic10
    Options
    However, lean meats like chicken, turkey, fruits and veggies, are always GF.

An meat is naturally gluten free, but you have to be careful with turkey that is 'internally basted' - the broth they inject isn't necessarily GF.

This is true. I only get honeysuckle white products. I get the turkey breast from them and cook it up in a crockpot, really good. The gravy that comes with it (seperate packet) is gluten free as well.

Anyone have problems with Tyson chicken? I can't eat it, it makes me sick.
  • ccaruso219
    Options
    [Anyone have problems with Tyson chicken? I can't eat it, it makes me sick.
    [/quote]

I'm not a fan of Tyson Chicken....For some reason it gives me a bad stomach ache...I have no problem with Perdue chicken. Back in 2008, Tyson was caught by the USDA for injecting hormones into chickens before they were hatched....Also if it means anything, Tyson supplies KFC....
  • soccerfanatic10
    Options
    [Anyone have problems with Tyson chicken? I can't eat it, it makes me sick.

I'm not a fan of Tyson Chicken....For some reason it gives me a bad stomach ache...I have no problem with Perdue chicken. Back in 2008, Tyson was caught by the USDA for injecting hormones into chickens before they were hatched....Also if it means anything, Tyson supplies KFC....
    [/quote]

Same here! I live with my dad and he used to throw a huge fit because I asked him to get Perdue chicken instead of Tyson. I told him it made me sick but he doesn't believe me. I buy my own chicken now.

Perdue is good but only one grocery store out of three in my town sells it. The other two (Kroger and Meijer) only sell Tyson.
  • yvonneh
    yvonneh Posts: 64
    Options

I've been looking all over the internet about this same question the past two weeks, and there sure seems to be a lot of people who have celiac or gluten intolerance and who are also having a hard time losing weight. There are some posts earlier in this thread about it. On a couple of sites, I read people were told by their doctors to be prepared to actually gain some weight because the gluten damaged the intestine and prevented the body from absorbing food properly. Once you take it away, the body begins to heal and holds on because before it was in a form of starvation. There seems to be a lot left to learn about this disease, but the consensus seems to be that you may gain for a while, then level off. Even then, many people said it came off very slowly.

I regularly exercised, but if I'd known this was a risk in advance, I would have been sure to exercise more and count calories to minimize the gain. As it was, my eating habits and exercise stayed fairly constant, yet I gained about 20 pounds the first year and a half after I went GF, then - also no real change in habits - I have leveled off and stayed the same the last year. Some people attribute it to the high glycemic index of many gluten free foods, and while I'm sure that played a small part, I really don't eat that many processed gf products.

I did read on some forums that removing dairy did help, so I've started that this week.

Here's the link to one forum I've been following on this topic. http://www.topix.com/forum/health/celiac-disease/TVI22V2LD9686BV68

It doesn't make the weight magically disappear, but at least it is a relief to understand what has probably been going on the past few years - I may still feel frustrated, but at least I don't feel so guilty :-)
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    When I first knew something was wrong, but hadn't identified it as a gluten issue it was darn near impossible for me to lose weight. I was ALWAYS starving hungry and would often pig out and show no self control whatsoever. I had never, ever done that before in my life. Looking back, I pigged out on gluten-containing foods. Since I've been gluten-free I don't have nearly the hard time I used to.