Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Options

Replies

• arfletcher
    Options
    YAY!! This topic makes me so happy! So many GF ideas.

I have never opted to be tested for celiacs - my doctor is highly apathetic towards my health (I am young, female, and not the same religion as him - it sucks but I've been trying to get a new GP for two years with no luck!).

In highschool I lived in a dorm and everything the cafeteria served was vegitarian - which means wheat and dairy were the staples. And EVERYTHING was smothered with tomato sauce! I came to the realization then that I was alergic to dairy and tomatoes. Both of which I LOVE! So I made the choice to be sick when I wanted to eat things like pizza or ice cream. I also guessed that I might be allergic to wheat as well... but I like wheat products! So I opted to ignore that as well and put up with the results - yuck - :embarassed:

My partner and I went to a nutrionist lately and she has taken us off of all wheat products as well as dairy and a bunch of other things (white foods, processed foods...ect) With this diet change - surprise surprise... my stomach problems have stopped! No more sitting in the bathroom for 20mins at a go - I know TMI - And I have found that I can eat tomatoes again! YAY!

So its Gluten Free for me! I am not being very strict about it - still eating oats that arent specifically GF and still have things like soysauce on my sushi! But as long as I'm not eating pasta and breads I seem to be fine...But boy do I ever miss the fresh cheese croisants from the bakery next to my house - and catching the bus out front of the bakery every day is killer - But now that I know what it is to feel good allmost all the time with only a few bad days - instead of feeling bad all the time with only a few good days - IM NOT GOING BACK!:happy:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Also have had celiacs since I was nine. Its took the doctors about six to eight months to figure out what was wrong. I was a rack of bone. I didnt even go to school that year because I couldnt move out of my bed. But today I am good to go. Does anyone know good Brand name resurants that have gluten free food choices or would give you alternatives if you told them?

You HAVE to check out glutenfreeregistry.com You can enter any location in the country and it will show you restaurants on the map that are either gluten free or have gluten free offerings :flowerforyou: I don't know what I would do without this website!
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Also have had celiacs since I was nine. Its took the doctors about six to eight months to figure out what was wrong. I was a rack of bone. I didnt even go to school that year because I couldnt move out of my bed. But today I am good to go. Does anyone know good Brand name resurants that have gluten free food choices or would give you alternatives if you told them?

You HAVE to check out glutenfreeregistry.com You can enter any location in the country and it will show you restaurants on the map that are either gluten free or have gluten free offerings :flowerforyou: I don't know what I would do without this website!

I plan to use this for Sat. Hubby and I have a date night! =)
  • LOVINLIFEGUY
    Options
    My daughter had her biopsy yesterday and she was very very brave for a 3 year old. Watching a 3 year old going under with gas is very hard to watch. DR could not confirm the results without the lab results but was pretty sure it is celiak. Today we started the gf diet and she did not like the waffles :(, I thought they were good! My wife is shopping right now with a friend of a friend who has been dealing with this for years. Sounds like they are loading up on things that we need. lots of things we are learning. Purchased a few new toasters for home, daycare and gradparents. Didnt know how sensitive these things can be. Do we need to buy different pots and pans, cups, plates and silverware? We have given her spots in the fridge and drawers to put all her stuff so we don't get things mixed. This is going to be difficult to get used to! Thanks for all the support and great info.
  • rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I know someone who cant have any gluten... but anyway i love Mare Blu Trail Mix bars. they are gluten free
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    My daughter had her biopsy yesterday and she was very very brave for a 3 year old. Watching a 3 year old going under with gas is very hard to watch. DR could not confirm the results without the lab results but was pretty sure it is celiak. Today we started the gf diet and she did not like the waffles :(, I thought they were good! My wife is shopping right now with a friend of a friend who has been dealing with this for years. Sounds like they are loading up on things that we need. lots of things we are learning. Purchased a few new toasters for home, daycare and gradparents. Didnt know how sensitive these things can be. Do we need to buy different pots and pans, cups, plates and silverware? We have given her spots in the fridge and drawers to put all her stuff so we don't get things mixed. This is going to be difficult to get used to! Thanks for all the support and great info.

What kind of waffles? I eat the Van's Gluten-free blueberry waffles, and they're great! Also, if your daughter likes cereal, Corn Flakes and Rice Chex (as well as Cinnamon Chex, and perhaps Chocolate Chex- you'd have to double check the label) happen to be gluten free- I love them! :love: I eat them as cereal, or even just as a snack!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options

I think it depends on the severity of your daughter's gluten allergy, which you might not know until you get her off everything that has gluten in it for a good month at least and see. She might be okay to have her food prepared on the same surfaces, etc...or she might be at the extreme sensitivity end.
    Also, don't get discouraged with the waffles and other GF foods she tries. They taste different but keep having her try them. It took our daughter quite a while to where she would eat some things but now she will pretty much eat any GF product I put in front of her. Well....the nasty bread being the exception. We are very very very lucky that she can do sprouted wheat. Thank God for that.
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ""I am looking for a good tasting gluten free bread. The ones we have tried so far have been, well, not good!
    Do you have a favorite brand? Do you toast it?

My husband has major gluten allergies, as well as 2 of my 3 kids. We are switching to primarly gluten free at home.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

~Sami ""

I just posted this topic in the food/nutrition topic section. Can you please chime in and let me know what type of bread you are using? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmcwade
    Options
    My FAVORITE gluten free bread is Udi's. You can get it at whole foods, the slices are pretty small but it tastes just like regular bread. I do not touch any other type of gluten free bread, yuck. ;) Hope that helps.
  • jessmcwade
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I am gluten free and dairy free. Also I avoid carbonated beverages because they make me puff out like a balloon! I was very sickly my whole life and finally discovered that I may be gluten intolerant so I gave it up and it made such a difference that I am a new person. I can't eat casein either which is in all dairy. My son is also gluten and casein free. In our case, we are both somewhat on the autistic spectrum which is how we found out in the first place. I thank my lucky stars every day that someone was bold enough to mention looking into it.

I do not have a doctor at the moment but I am extremely sensitive to gluten and dairy, we do not keep ANY type of gluten anywhere in the house and my fiance is amazing at accommodating us. It certainly doesn't hurt his health any to give up gluten along with us, it's probably better. Since I don't have a doctor, I am not officially diagnosed as celiac but because of my severe sensitivity and extremely painful reactions I am pretty sure I have celiac. Even if I find out that I don't really have celiac, I am never touching the stuff again. :) The scary thing is that the longer I am gluten free, the more severe the reaction if I accidentally get an involuntary dose. It makes me scared to eat at restaurants, etc.
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options
    I just saw in the supermarket that Betty Crocker has GF brownies, chocolate and yellow cake, and chocolate chip cookies....Their website has some recipes for carrot cake, pineapple upside down cake and marble cake...

Those aren't available in Canada (neither are the chex gf cereals) :(
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options

I think it depends on the severity of your daughter's gluten allergy, which you might not know until you get her off everything that has gluten in it for a good month at least and see. She might be okay to have her food prepared on the same surfaces, etc...or she might be at the extreme sensitivity end.
    Also, don't get discouraged with the waffles and other GF foods she tries. They taste different but keep having her try them. It took our daughter quite a while to where she would eat some things but now she will pretty much eat any GF product I put in front of her. Well....the nasty bread being the exception. We are very very very lucky that she can do sprouted wheat. Thank God for that.

If she has been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, there is no such thing as degree of sensitivity! It is contact, it is crumbs, it is all wheat, barley, rye and commercial oat products (or anything that has come into contact with these ingredients)...there is no tolerance level. A big misnomer that celiac disease is referred to as an "allergy" as it's actually an autoimmune response which is different. A lot of times, I'll explain it as an allergy as people find it easier to understand. If someone is just allergic, then the severity may vary, but not for those of us with celiac disease.
    Even if there are no external symptoms, it is doing damage to her small intestine.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Bread- I make ours, it's better and cheaper than any I've tried, we don't have to toast it to make it edible, the recipe is somewhere in the first couple pages of this thread.

Our whole house is gluten free, and those who can eat gluten do so outside of the home and wash hands every time they get home regardless of what they've been doing. We tried having stuff that was not gluten free for the kids that are fine with it, but the 2 year old (now 3) kept getting glutened by the other kids not washing their places or even just touching their places while she was eating too. Anyway, we just avoid it by not letting any in the house now.

It's normal, I've read, for reactions to get more severe to gluten the longer that you are off of it. Also, a lot of people with celiacs are lactose intolerant, however sometimes this can go away once all the villi are repaired and your body can start processing the dairy again. Sometimes you become lactose intolerant because the part of the villi that deals with dairy is at the tip, so the last to heal, and then you discover that your body just can't process it. It's weird, but I guess the gist of it is, you may be able to have dairy again after a while off gluten, as in many months, maybe a year. For my son, he couldn't tolerate any dairy for probably 6 months after going gluten free, but now he does okay with cheese and yogurt and we don't have to read every label looking for anything dairy anymore. He's only 1.5 though, so he didn't have years of damage to his intestine. Anyway, just some food for thought.
  • LOVINLIFEGUY
    Options
    we have the udi bread. I tasted it and it was ok, a little dry tho. I tasted the vans waffles and thought they were better than the eggos we had been eatting but my daughter did not agree. A long road ahead of us. I hope the first day at daycare being gf is going well.
  • soccerfanatic10
    soccerfanatic10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ""I am looking for a good tasting gluten free bread. The ones we have tried so far have been, well, not good!
    Do you have a favorite brand? Do you toast it?

My husband has major gluten allergies, as well as 2 of my 3 kids. We are switching to primarly gluten free at home.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

~Sami ""

I just posted this topic in the food/nutrition topic section. Can you please chime in and let me know what type of bread you are using? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

I like making bread from the Gluten Free Pantry French Bread and Pizza Mix. It also makes a wonderful pizza. The bread is really good especially the first couple days after its baked. I've always sliced it all up after its cooled and left some to use and put the rest in the freezer. The key for the freezer is for it to already be sliced. I add some flax seed to it to make it more healthy. You can bake it right in the loaf pan, no need to use a bread machine but you can if you want.
  • soccerfanatic10
    Options

If she has been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, there is no such thing as degree of sensitivity! It is contact, it is crumbs, it is all wheat, barley, rye and commercial oat products (or anything that has come into contact with these ingredients)...there is no tolerance level. A big misnomer that celiac disease is referred to as an "allergy" as it's actually an autoimmune response which is different. A lot of times, I'll explain it as an allergy as people find it easier to understand. If someone is just allergic, then the severity may vary, but not for those of us with celiac disease.
    Even if there are no external symptoms, it is doing damage to her small intestine.

Wonderful post! I hate when people refer to the disease as an allergy. It may take a while to get a positive diagnosis. Please try her on a totally gluten free diet and see how she feels. I went undiagnosed for 3 years and I wish I wasn't the niave teenager and went totally gluten free. I felt if it was a negative diagnosis then I didn't have it and could still eat. My mom has Celiac's disease so I knew I probably had it but again the test came back false. I severly damaged my intestines they were the worst case of inflammation my GI has seen.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options

Wonderful post! I hate when people refer to the disease as an allergy. It may take a while to get a positive diagnosis. Please try her on a totally gluten free diet and see how she feels. I went undiagnosed for 3 years and I wish I wasn't the niave teenager and went totally gluten free. I felt if it was a negative diagnosis then I didn't have it and could still eat. My mom has Celiac's disease so I knew I probably had it but again the test came back false. I severly damaged my intestines they were the worst case of inflammation my GI has seen.

I stand corrected and was NOT meaning to offend anyone by what I said. :indifferent:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Thank you for making that point. You always hear people talking about 'reducing gluten' or being 'mostly gluten-free', and I wonder, what's the point? You have to strive to eliminate it from your diet. As a non-celiac, gluten sensitivity person, I still work on gluten-free, even though I can probably tolerate it at a low level. But you are going to get that low level just by accident, especially if you eat out, just from contact / contamination in the kitchen or simply lack of knowledge from the kitchen staff. Even if you cook from home, some stuff you buy as gluten-free is not truly gluten-free, it just has a low enough level that they don't have to tell you about it. If you doubt how serious a problem cross contamination can be, talk to some one with peanut allergies.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I 100% agree, Tom. And it sounds like you and I are pretty much in the same boat. I was told that I do not have Celiac's, but am gluten-intolerant. I eat 100% gluten free at home (not 90%, or "mostly" gluten free). I aim for 100% when eating out, but realize that that's probably unrealistic due to restaurant practices. When I accidentally eat gluten, boy can I tell a difference right way, and it usually lasts for a few days- most definitely not worth it :ohwell:
  • soccerfanatic10
    Options
    I 100% agree, Tom. And it sounds like you and I are pretty much in the same boat. I was told that I do not have Celiac's, but am gluten-intolerant. I eat 100% gluten free at home (not 90%, or "mostly" gluten free). I aim for 100% when eating out, but realize that that's probably unrealistic due to restaurant practices. When I accidentally eat gluten, boy can I tell a difference right way, and it usually lasts for a few days- most definitely not worth it :ohwell:

I tend to stick with resturants that I know are safe. If its someplace I've never been I'll check the menu out ahead of time. I'm see more and more GF options and even seperate menus at some places.

I usually go with mexican and get a hard shell taco or fajitas and replace the flour with corn tortillas. I've been fine everywhere I've had a burger and fries (no bun obviously) or a piece of chicken.

I know what you mean about it lasting though. In high school fun sized candy bars were passed out. I took out the ones I already knew were unsafe but I didn't know milk ways were bad. The fun sized ones don't have the ingrediants on them. I knew I shouldn't have risked it but I ate it anyway. Another niave move of mine. I knew within 20 minutes I had reacted. I was out of school for 3 days after a little candy bar. I got home and looked it up online milk ways have barley and malt.