Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Good to know- thanks, Nicole! :flowerforyou:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Can I join you guys? I believe that I have a wheat or gluten sensitivity. I have always had bowel issues (sorry) and I have PCOS with Insulin Resistance. When I was diagnosed with PCOS my dr told me to try the Atkins diet (yowza.. right?)... I did and I lost a quite a bit of weight but of course I gained it all back and more when I added carbs back in. Since keeping a food diary here on MFP (and I still keep track of BM's on my calendar) - I've noticed that there is a correlation between how upset my stomach is, how tired I feel and how much wheat I had the day before.
    The other thing that makes me wonder is this... when I first started MFP I dropped a 20 lbs very quickly... then nothing.... When I first restarted MFP I didn't have a lot of low calorie bread/crackers/etc in the house... so I just didn't eat it.... then I went and bought the bread and everything and I haven't lost anything in weeks.

I'm sure I'm going to have questions as I go... so I hope you won't get too frustrated with me!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    welcome sonjavon! THis group is very knowledgeable!
  • buffwinter
    buffwinter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    so how do you join a group? I am new to myfitnesspal, but I also share in the problem So glad you guys are here!!
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tigersgirl
    tigersgirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nicolee516
    Options
    so how do you join a group? I am new to myfitnesspal, but I also share in the problem So glad you guys are here!!

you are joined now! Basically you post something in the thread and ask to join!
  • tigersgirl
    Options
    Hi everyone-
    Is it ok if I join this group? I think my boyfriend has celiac and we have been trying to go gluten-free for the last few weeks. Its been hard however we have found a really good flour mixture by Jules Shepard- its expensive but can be used in a "regular" recipes cup for cup. She also gives the ratios so you can make the recipe yourself.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone-
    Is it ok if I join this group? I think my boyfriend has celiac and we have been trying to go gluten-free for the last few weeks. Its been hard however we have found a really good flour mixture by Jules Shepard- its expensive but can be used in a "regular" recipes cup for cup. She also gives the ratios so you can make the recipe yourself.

Welcome! If your bf intends to see a doctor to have celiac's confirmed, he should stay on a regular diet until he has the testing done. Starting a GF diet beforehand can confuse the diagnosis.

Thanks for the tip on the flour mix - where do you get it?
  • tigersgirl
    Options
    runnerdad-
    thanks for the tip on the testing- he has dr appt monday--
    the website for the GF flour is http://www.julesglutenfree.com---we went with the pkg of 3 cookbooks and 2 bags of flour
  • epond
    epond Posts: 30
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am SOOOOOOOO happy to have come upon this thread!!! I need advice desperatly and am hoping to receive some here! :happy:

My digestive problems began when my gallbladder acted up 3 years ago. I had it removed and then misery began. I have been in and out of the doctor with chronic digestive problems (BLOATING, ridiculous stomach noise, abdominal pain, and ENDLESS trips to the washroom - often within 20 - 60 minutes of eating).

I have had a blood test for celiac (came back negative), I am borderline hypothyroid (don't know if anyone else is like this as well?). I have had a full upper/lower GI series and a dye CT scan. Everything came back normal. I am at a complete loss!!!! :sad:

My doctor told me that I was suffering from "bile acid diarrhea" that some patients have after having their gallbladder removed...but 3 years later??!?! it can't be! I do find that I feel gross after eating to many carbs and I find that within a couple of days my body just becomes "sick" and (without trying to be over detailed here) I end up in the washroom barrelled over in pain and then completely wiped out afterwards. This year I have been sick a great deal (H1N1, strep throat, sinus infections...). It's like my immune system is screwed up.

I went to a very good naturopath who told me I was gluten senstive (wheat, buckwheat, rye, etc...) and had an egg white allergy. I don't know what to do or where to start. I feel like because I didn't have my doctor "diagnose" me with an actual gluten intolerance I feel like I would be eliminating something that I didn't need to do? I know this sounds stupid... I just wish I could have a diagnosis and move on...have someone tell me what to do. I don't even know where to start... It's all so overwhelming. i am concerned about missing nutrients, etc. :sad:

If you have any advice, words of wisdom, thoughts, ideas.... I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it. I just feel like I need some guidance here...I can't seem to find it from my doctor which is discouraging.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz
  • epond
    epond Posts: 30
    Options
    Also...I am new to myfitnesspal and was wondering how you join this group?
    Thanks again!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am SOOOOOOOO happy to have come upon this thread!!! I need advice desperatly and am hoping to receive some here! :happy:

My digestive problems began when my gallbladder acted up 3 years ago. I had it removed and then misery began. I have been in and out of the doctor with chronic digestive problems (BLOATING, ridiculous stomach noise, abdominal pain, and ENDLESS trips to the washroom - often within 20 - 60 minutes of eating).

I have had a blood test for celiac (came back negative), I am borderline hypothyroid (don't know if anyone else is like this as well?). I have had a full upper/lower GI series and a dye CT scan. Everything came back normal. I am at a complete loss!!!! :sad:

My doctor told me that I was suffering from "bile acid diarrhea" that some patients have after having their gallbladder removed...but 3 years later??!?! it can't be! I do find that I feel gross after eating to many carbs and I find that within a couple of days my body just becomes "sick" and (without trying to be over detailed here) I end up in the washroom barrelled over in pain and then completely wiped out afterwards. This year I have been sick a great deal (H1N1, strep throat, sinus infections...). It's like my immune system is screwed up.

I went to a very good naturopath who told me I was gluten senstive (wheat, buckwheat, rye, etc...) and had an egg white allergy. I don't know what to do or where to start. I feel like because I didn't have my doctor "diagnose" me with an actual gluten intolerance I feel like I would be eliminating something that I didn't need to do? I know this sounds stupid... I just wish I could have a diagnosis and move on...have someone tell me what to do. I don't even know where to start... It's all so overwhelming. i am concerned about missing nutrients, etc. :sad:

If you have any advice, words of wisdom, thoughts, ideas.... I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it. I just feel like I need some guidance here...I can't seem to find it from my doctor which is discouraging.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz

Welcome Liz- I was never officially diagnosed either, but i know how my body feels when I eat it, so I listen to what my body says. You are definitely on the right path with going to the Naturopath! Something that you may have never even considered is that it is possible to have symptoms of gallstones even though your gallbladder is removed. If you are interested in more of that pm me and I can tell you more!
  • ccaruso219
    Options

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz

Hi Liz,

I went throught the same issues as you. I had my gall bladder removed 3 years ago and have been having stomach issues since then. There were times that I swore that they re-routed my intestines so that everything just came straight out..lol. For the last year I have been dealing with sinus infections and all that hoopla every other month. I have also been diagnosed with PCOS and abnormal hormone production. I read an article about 2 months ago that listed everything I just talked about plus some others as symptoms of Gluten Intolerance. I have never been formally diagnosed, but I decided to try to rule it out on my own. I decided to change my diet to be gluten free. It hasn't been easy since my biggest loves are pizza, pasta and bread. I have found alternatives so that I can still have my vices. It took me about a month to a month and a half to start seeing a difference. I haven't had any issues with my sinuses and stomach. I have been very regular and no sinus infections.

I haven't felt as if I'm missing anything except for the fact that I was always tired, but could never sleep. I heard a spot on Dr. Oz and he recommended taking L-Carnitine. I went to my local vitamin shop and got the liquid L-Carnitine and have been taken that for a couple of weeks. My energy is up, I'm sleeping 8-10 hrs a night and I have started losing weight faster than before ( I think that is coincidence since I have been working out more.)

If you have any questions feel free to ask her or ask me directly. I'll answer the best I can.
    Good Luck
    Connie
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Hi everyone-

In case anyone is interested, I found this website about gluten-free Easter candy:

http://celiacfamily.com/easter-candy/

It looks like it was last updated for Easter '09, so of course you want to check labels (as always) but it's a great list! :flowerforyou:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Thanks Kelynn! I will check it out!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thanks Kelynn! I will check it out!

You bet! :wink:
  • ccaruso219
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Decided to test my gluten theory last night. I have been following a gluten free diet for 2 months now and yesterday was a gluten day to see if gluten is my life's hinderance. Sure enough it is my hinderance. So now I know I can't have any gluten.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Decided to test my gluten theory last night. I have been following a gluten free diet for 2 months now and yesterday was a gluten day to see if gluten is my life's hinderance. Sure enough it is my hinderance. So now I know I can't have any gluten.

Although it's not welcomed news, at least now you know what's causing your symptoms... that must bring you some relief! :flowerforyou:
  • sarahkessner
    Options
    Hiii I just started being gluten-free. It's not very difficult for me - I spent many years being a raw/vegan. But I abruptly ended that in June 2009 and have been having stomach problems ever since. I have severe abdominal pains, bloating, a have awful gas and burp constantly. I cut-out gluten, but was still have these problems. I recent;y cut out dairy and that has seemed to help (Greek yogurt and eggs seem to be ok).

ANYWAY, after I endd being a raw/vegan, I gained a lot of weight. I started bingeing on a ton of dessert foods and gained over 30 pounds. Not that many people are in support of me losing weight, but I have spent too long being unhappy with my body. Any support would be great.