Look at my Diary? I want healthy alternatives. Please :]

Options
2»

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato roasted with cinnamon and nutmeg, ratatouille, spinach and ricotta lasagna...
    Also, nothing wrong with protein shakes, but I wouldn't use them if I wasn't lifting weight as they aren't a meal substitute... Just a great way of getting a bucketload of protein into you.
    You just made me really hungry lol ratatouille I have always wanted to try! :]
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    @ SuffolkSally That is a nice idea lol I could try a curry maybe if I can find the ingredients to one. I probably need to specify "SIMPLE" curry Lol not just curry!

@ rainghirl I just recently started to add cheese to my eggs because I used to hate it! My parents used to buy that cling wrapped american cheese blegh I cant stand it lol I need more natural cheese OR at least higher quality deli style cheese for some reason. I just dont like the squishy single wrapped type.
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Beans are super easy and I know Aldi's has a nice selection. I use dry ones. My favorite way to make black beans is to turn them into sweet potato & black bean burritos. Cook 2 sweet potatoes in the microwave, cut in half and mash up the middles in a bowl with a bit of chili powder. Spread the sweet potatoes in a tortilla and then top with black beans and a bit of cheese. I also add lettuce, tomato and salsa.

If you have any ethnic markets (asian, middle east, etc.) they usually have a good selection of vegetables and fruits and protein sources especially tofu.
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Perhaps venturing to the library and checking out a few vegetarian cookbooks if looking on line isnt working for you.
    Check with community centers for any cooking/ healthy eating courses or such things.
    Look on grocery store websites for recipes or in store free help sessions if they are in your area.
    Look online for vegan forums then you can talk to like minded people who deal with being vegan on a budget.
    Check your local area for vegan support group type thing where maybe once a month they get together and improve their vegan lifestyle. Guide you to where is great spots to shop.
    Are you able to see a dietician/nutritionist they would be able to definitely help you with.

Think you need to sit down and figure out what veggies you like and learn when they are in season. So that your buying them when they are cheap in your area. You might find that fresh isnt the option in the winter that frozen is cheaper.

Looking at making stuff will safe you calories and well is just healthier overall your controlling what is going in it. You dont have to jump 100% into home cooking but definitely look at some of your fav things and maybe rethink making it on your own. Start with 1 recipe maybe a week then as you get more confidence 2 a week. Before you know it your whipping up food like no bodies business.

You wont find a farmers market in your area around this time. In the spring, summer and early fall you will be able to find them. Its just farmers getting together to sell what they are growing. Usually produce (lettuce, onions, peppers, corn, root veggies, fruit, etc) there might be some home baking, and some arts n crafts stuff depending on the market. Not sure in a big city if you would have to venture out of the city or if they would bring the farmers to you.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You know i went back a few days and really everything looks pretty good, only one suggestion and it is not that big. Have you ever thought about making your own Pizza? you could really cut out a bunch of fat and sodium that way. I use flatouts to make pizza and instead of loading it up with cheese, just a sprinkle of parmasean on top makes a great flavor. But all in all you eat pretty well I would say but that is just my opinion

I also use flatbreads and square wraps and only put a little bit of cheese with puree. It taste amazing and is only 300 calories. I still eat out for Pizza but not as often as before.
  • gaboudreau
    gaboudreau Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you should look up some recipes on the food network. they have some programs that have budget type meals or 5 ingredients or less etc. It sounds like you have a family, so for their sake it's probably a good plan to learn more cooking skills so they can learn from you what it sounds like you didn't learn from your mom, and that programming has lots of tutorials and ideas for just that. There must be a bus or train service close to you in a major city like Chicago..leave the kids with the husband and make a short shopping list of things you can't get close to home and take the bus once a month or something to pick them up. I know people that do that all the time because they don't drive or have a car. If there's a will there's a way. It's great that you have a computer and internet. It's a great learning tool..it sounds like you are trying to eat healthier, so keep growing and opening up to new, low cost, healthy options. Vegetables can be "hidden" a lot into foods so you aren't just eating a big pile of something you are not fond of..there are even websites on how to do that, based for kids, but what the heck..cut them up small and throw them into recipes.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yeah those processed slices are pretty awful, but children often like them which maybe why your parents bought it. You should be able to get decent hard cheeses - the stronger flavoured cheese you get the less of it you need too, so that helps cut down on fat. Also soft cheese is higher in fat than hard.

The highest protein cheese I've found so far though is Feta cheese, should be able to get it at an Italian/Greek delis same with the hard cheddar style cheeses. I would think there might be a few of those in Chicago.
  • deepbreaths_strongmoves
    Options
    I love how sincere you are with your questions!! I'm glad that you're getting your protein in as of now. I tend to stay away from protein powders because I rather eat other food (but that's just me) on occasion I will use my boyfriends stuff. It's great for after a hard workout! I get my protein through chicken, eggs, greek yogurt, and veggies. After looking through a few days of your food I would recommend adding more fruits/veggies. Spinach and edamame are high in protein and delicious. I could eat an entire bag of steamed edamame with some sea salt and olive oil, in fact I have before :) I like to get frozen veggies, the steam fresh ones, so they don't go bad and I can just pop them in microwave and have veggies on hand with whatever meal I'm having. Steamed sweet potatoes are excellent. I also use low-sodium tomato juice as a snack, it took me awhile to get used to that... :) That's my suggestion though, more veggies and fruit.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in my smoothies. Got a blender for $3 at a yard sale, works ok. Not the greatest but ok. I don't have smoothies that often now that it is cold outside.

Thinking bout putting protein powder in my oatmeal. I usually use Better Oats pkg, add a bit of oat bran, and use original almond milk (which is a bit sweet) instead of water. I rarely eat meat. I will have to think of the powder, could blend it with my milk before adding.

Don't like chicken. Do eat alot of beans, lentils.........and...... Cheese! I know cheese is not good for me, its high in fat and sodium. I try to limit myself to 1 oz a day. I do have fish once in a while. Miss the fish selection from east coast! Not much fish here in Iowa!

I do seem to get enough protein. Have 2 eggs most days, kinda boring, but they fill me up and are easy. Got some cooking now with fresh mushroom and spinach.

When I snack I usually have fresh fruit or a balance bar. I like my balance bars for late and night and I think I am hungry. Probably not the best choice but certainly not the worse!

Namaste
  • B_Mindful
    B_Mindful Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I googled 'easy cheap vegetarian recipes' and found a bunch of sites. This one jumped out at me: http://www.cheapandsimpleveganrecipes.com/ I think it might be just what you're looking for.

I've been giving some thought to your situation, and I think the very best thing you could do is learn as much about cooking from scratch as possible. Why not set yourself a challenge: learn one new technique every week. One week you could learn how to cook dried beans. They can be frozen in 2 cup portions (include some of the cooking liquid) and it's just like having a can of beans -- only it costs less and has less sodium. The next week you can try making your own yogurt or paneer. Or master cooking whole grains (barley, brown rice, oats, etc) -- they can also be frozen in portions for quick meals. You could learn to make your own bread! Pitas and tortillas might be a good place to start. Take your time and build your skills. Teach your children, and have them help you if they are old enough.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions about cooking from scratch. I've been doing it for years!