Women can't do pullups

Options

Replies

• RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You are right, I cannot do them......YET! I will at some point though!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Im up to 7 unassisted!!! LOVE THEM xx
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    anyone can do pull ups. Just need the right motivation! Put them in a small confined room with a little room up and light a fire under their *kitten*.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I know more women who can do pull ups than cannot!

You do not know many women then...

The article is ridiculous but sadly a lot of women still buy into the whole weight lifting grows you a penls. I always try to call people out when they say that BS about women can't do something as far as fitness goes.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    There are many articles such as these with gender biased claims that have little basis in reality. Perhaps pull-ups are statistically not part of the exercise regimen for the average* female?

Pull-ups require a remarkable amount of core and back strength, demanding time and dedication to perfect. While at the moment I cannot do a proper pull-up, I have been working my way from assisted pull-ups for the past few weeks. In the squat rack, I have been gradually increasing the distance between the floor and the bar.
  • sunshine83777
    Options
    I did 4 sets of 4 this morning.:tongue:
  • kayellgee
    Options
    I can do 5. So :tongue:
  • kayellgee
    Options
    If you want to do pullups....practice pullups.

i can knock out 30+ strict before i have to resort to kipping. apparently i missed the memo.

WOW! I can do 5 strict + 10 kipping…you are awesome! You must crossfit ;)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I know more women who can do pull ups than cannot!

You do not know many women then...

Or I know more women into climbing or fitness than the average person...
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    anyone can do pull ups. Just need the right motivation! Put them in a small confined room with a little room up and light a fire under their *kitten*.
    LOL!!!!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I can do 5 before doing cheaters.....last I checked I was a woman
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    This is such a load of ****. Really? A single study with an incredibly small group of subjects is supposed to be convincing in some way?

I'll add to the anecdotal evidence here. My mom is a workout badass. A few years ago, she earned the nickname "Diesel" by beating a bunch of misogynistic *kitten* in a one-armed elevated pushups contest. These guys had been harassing her for weeks at the gym about her weightlifting workouts before she got fed up and challenged them. Instant respect. She was 48 at the time; the guys she beat were in their 20s.

Personal experience, determination, and practice makes the difference. Even if women require more work, it doesn't mean they don't do it every damn day of the week.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    They obviously weren't training these women correctly. A few months of negative chin-ups and I did 3 sets of 2 real ones for the first time last weekend. Pull-ups are next on my to-do list.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    From the article: "The Marines say a male recruit should be able to do at least 3 pull-ups or chin-ups, but women are not required to do them."

That doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't all soldiers, regardless of gender, aim to be strong enough to lift their own body weight? Maybe some women (just like some men) would have to train harder to accomplish this, but it's still doable. I keep picturing some female soldier stuck hanging on to bar in a life-or-death combat situation, having to be rescued by a male soldier. All because she wasn't required to do pullups during training exercises.

Women are required, instead, to be able to do a flexed arm hang. Trust me, I've been there. They do stress the ability, but it's not a part of their fitness test. The arm hang is supposed to be more tuned to what a woman's body can do, or some such BS. I've seen plenty of ladies who can do pull ups just fine, often times better than their male counter parts. Sadly, I am not one of them, yet.

However, if you have a smart phone, there is a USMC Fitness App that you can get. It doesn't differentiate between male or female for the requirements. It's a cute little app, but I was surprised when it didn't differentiate between the 2 arm exercises. It just gives me something to work towards.
  • Be_EmbracE
    Be_EmbracE Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I would like to train to do pull up.. I can't to it yet :Shy:
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I can do about 10 front grip pull ups and 15 reverse grip pullups/chin ups.

I guess I am not a women! ;)
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I can do one. I just learned how last week so :tongue: to NY Times! Hah!
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    From the article: "The Marines say a male recruit should be able to do at least 3 pull-ups or chin-ups, but women are not required to do them."

That doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't all soldiers, regardless of gender, aim to be strong enough to lift their own body weight? Maybe some women (just like some men) would have to train harder to accomplish this, but it's still doable. I keep picturing some female soldier stuck hanging on to bar in a life-or-death combat situation, having to be rescued by a male soldier. All because she wasn't required to do pullups during training exercises.

a soldier is in the army; a marine is in the marines.

Just sayin'.
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I saw this earlier this week. Clearly the NYT is lacking in badasses on their staff. I watched a woman in full bunker gear go through a WOD yesterday, which included, by the end, a total of pull-ups. She did them all.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The unassisted chin up is one of the my favorite pieces of equipment. There is no other exercise which boasts a woman's confidence when she is able to do one on her own without any assistance. Every woman I've seen who accomplishes such has this huge radiant glow about their face.