Deflated Fat Rolls

Options
So, i dont know if this is the right board, but i couldnt figure out where to put it. Sorry.

I am noticing that as i lose weight, the area of my belly that had the most fat, has these weird pockmarks, almost, in it. I have only seen vertical stretchmarks before. Its so weird looking.

Can i tone, while im losing? Should I? Im really fat though, and i could easily see that waiting til i was done to tone, could be better.

Also, im 27. i should have enough collagen/elastin in my skin at this time, to have it go back where it needs to be, right? with enough work?

Replies

• Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Yes start toning now. It will help.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "toning." However, muscle-building exercises, like lifting weights, are always a great idea at any size.
    As far as your skin appearance goes, just keeping it hydrated helps a lot in its appearance. I like True Blue Spa - Bring up the rear firming lotion. Obviously, it does nothing with fat, but it helps with circulation and makes the skin texture more even, in my experience.
  • kmcintyre57
    kmcintyre57 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "toning." However, muscle-building exercises, like lifting weights, are always a great idea at any size.
    As far as your skin appearance goes, just keeping it hydrated helps a lot in its appearance. I like True Blue Spa - Bring up the rear firming lotion. Obviously, it does nothing with fat, but it helps with circulation and makes the skin texture more even, in my experience.

I disagree with there is no such thing as toning. Toning exercises are physical exercises that are used with the aim of developing a physique with a large emphasis on musculature. In this context, the term toned implies leanness in the body (low levels of body fat), noticeable muscle definition and shape, but not significant muscle size ("bulk"). Not sure why this person believes in lotion but says there is no toning. If you start toning now it will definitely help!
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You could start toning now in the end its going to look funny at first. When I first started to loose it looked like cottage cheese but it looks much better now. I have done Toning exercises and weight lifting which has all helped get me to where I am at now. Just eat as healthy as you can and keep going you will get there and hit bumps in the road. If you need support feel free to add me :)
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    if i could do anything different now, it would have been to start to lift heavy earlier. retain the muscle you have now as you will lose some of it on a deficit, it will help tremendously with sagging skin later on
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Tone while ur losing. Don't wait. Start doing sit-ups, continue ur cardio and add strengh training, circut, planks are very good.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Don't wait, start toning and weight lifting now! Daily crunches and other core exercises for your belly! Drink lots of water!
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I dread to think what my saggy bits would look like now if I hadn't started lifting at the beginning of my journey. I have been doing this since January 2012 and I am loving it. I hope that if I keep lifting my skin will eventually catch up.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

I disagree with there is no such thing as toning. Toning exercises are physical exercises that are used with the aim of developing a physique with a large emphasis on musculature. In this context, the term toned implies leanness in the body (low levels of body fat), noticeable muscle definition and shape, but not significant muscle size ("bulk"). Not sure why this person believes in lotion but says there is no toning. If you start toning now it will definitely help!
    When people say "toning", they're either talking about reducing fat or building muscle.

OP - yes I would recommend starting to work on your muscles now, because it will help to prevent too much muscle loss while you are losing weight. It won't stop you having saggy skin, but you should end up with a more "toned" look than if you wait until you're at goal to start. Strength training with heavy weights will have a good effect, and as long as you're eating at a deficit, you're not going to put on any significant amount of muscle mass or "bulk up". If you can retain all/most of the muscle mass you have now, you should end up smaller and firmer at your goal weight than if you lose a lot of muscle.

With the skin, I'm not sure there's any fail-safe way to prevent sagging, but the recommendations tend to be to keep hydrated, moisturise your skin, lose slowly, and then just be patient and hope the skin tightens up a bit with time after you reach your goal.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options

You're both partially correct in your descriptions. There is NO such thing as toning. Muscles already have tone, otherwise they wouldn't work. "Toning" is the incorrect way to describe "seeing" the muscles. Which would mean having less fat on them. You can have bigger muscles or smaller muscles but neither are more or less visible ("toned") unless you have the "right" amount of fat over them (meaning not much fat.) Building muscle will always help a weightloss endeavor, but until the level of fat goes down enough to see the smaller/larger (whatever size you want) muscles, they're still toned, you just can't see them as easily. If you took an obese person, waved a magic wand and had all their bodyfat disappear down to the appropriate amount, they would be "toned" without any additional work. They already really were, you just couldn't see it. The muscle work just builds bigger muscles, doesn't make them MORE compact, ie: "toned".
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am twice your age and have lost a lot of weight. I have noticed a bit of "bumpiness" to my skin as fat is released from the fat cells. However,it all eventually evens out. THe skin left behind is a bit deflated, but is slowly shrinking. I exfoliate 2-3 times a week to encourage the skin to grow new cells. I also use a cocoa butter lotion that is good for elastin. It is a slow process, but it is working. My skin is less loose than it was a few months ago. Please understand, the process is slow!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you can't "tone" fat but you can work on the muscle. it's possible that the weirdness you're seeing is related to cellulite which is based on genetics than what type exercises you do and when. if it's cellulite then the only thing you can do is to continue to lose body fat as hopefully it decreases
  • crubem
    crubem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Really important to keep up your water intake--18-20 glasses a day. You should be exercising--cardio to burn the calories, resistance with bands or dumbells, and ab exercises to tone the tummy. Most of all beleive in yourself that you are worth this journey. There will be plateus (sp), and that's your body just fighting the weight loss. It will pass and you'll be stronger for making it through it. Good luck!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

You're both partially correct in your descriptions. There is NO such thing as toning. Muscles already have tone, otherwise they wouldn't work. "Toning" is the incorrect way to describe "seeing" the muscles. Which would mean having less fat on them. You can have bigger muscles or smaller muscles but neither are more or less visible ("toned") unless you have the "right" amount of fat over them (meaning not much fat.) Building muscle will always help a weightloss endeavor, but until the level of fat goes down enough to see the smaller/larger (whatever size you want) muscles, they're still toned, you just can't see them as easily. If you took an obese person, waved a magic wand and had all their bodyfat disappear down to the appropriate amount, they would be "toned" without any additional work. They already really were, you just couldn't see it. The muscle work just builds bigger muscles, doesn't make them MORE compact, ie: "toned".
    Great way of explaining it!
  • Cheryl188
    Cheryl188 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Lift weights! Lots and often! Always increase as the reps get easier.
  • leticiad27
    Options
    Check tiffany rothe's videos on youtube
  • caseyjade88
    caseyjade88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wait until you're done losing weight to start toning. Actually, it's proven that lifting weights is more effective in losing weight than cardio alone. So go ahead and start lifting, you won't regret it!!!
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading!
  • purplepeonypanda
    Options
    Okay what exactly are those pock mark things? I have them too and at first I thought it was cellulite, but would I be getting more while losing weight?
  • WaltSeher
    Options

Great way of explaining it!
    Less weight, more reps.