I am taunted by neighbours when I run up the street

Options

Replies

• betsz1
    betsz1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My advice to you is to wear headphones...smile and wave!:happy: What can they do with that? People can be cruel...sorry you have that in your life!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I crossed the road and asked him not to call me names in the street. He sneered and said he was only singing as I ran past and didn't get 'my ****ing problem'. When I explained that I received enough comments from strangers and expected my new neighbours to be more courteous. His wife screamed from an upper store window, that I was '****ing over reacting' and that I should '*expect* comments when I run outside'.

Putting aside the fact that your neighbours are as bad as mine, they're kind of right. I expect comments if I'm outside period if I'm running or not. Especially from younger/teenage boys. It seems to be what they do. Dear if you weren't over weight they'd just pick out some other oblivious thing...the most generic is everyone on the street is a slut lol. I could be covered from head to toe in winter gear and I still get shoutted 'slut', 'butterface'...anything they can think up.

Society is fail these days.
  • ThePTrain
    Options
    Some People are just plan ignorant. Best not to be infected by them and stay away. I also agree with the above head phones and don't bother looking their way and giving the the satisfaction. JERKS....
  • lovelyrunnerxx
    Options
    then they are ignorant *kitten*. you don't need that and you're so much better than them, so just put your earphones in, smile, and keep running. show them that they can't break you. <3
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i started running when i was nearly 17 stone (i'm 5'2"). i got a mix of 'run fat girl, run' type comments, and 'woohoo, you're awesome' comments. i just tried to ignore them all, because any way you look at it the perspective is all based around the fact that i was a jogging chubber! all i wanted to do was run for 20 mins- i never really thought of it as a weight loss exercise, just a get fit one!
    those people are rude. don't let them impact on you (although i know it's hard sometimes). turn off your hearing aid or turn up your ipod. choose to disregard the looks you get, knowing that you're getting further and that's what matters.
    FWIW i'm still 12 stone. still a running chubber. i've just ran my 2nd marathon- i was probably one of the chubbiest there, but i didn't finish last! put your head down and do your own thing, and be proud of the accomplishments you make.
    and i've heard the 'run, forrest, run' thing more times than i care to count!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    *kitten*! Put on your ipod and keep on runnin' ...

Couldn't have put it better myself - you say you are fat - but soon you will be thin and healthy, if you hold your head high and keep on running. Your neighbours, however, will always be dumb *kitten* - you win!!!!!!

This! !!!!!!!!!!!

Kidos to you. I am so glad my neighbors wave & give me a thumbs up.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Put a bag of dog **** on their porch and light it on fire. People are rude. You are not old fashioned by thinking "if can't say something nice don't say anything at all." Even when I think a rude comment on the way someone looks, what they are doing, or what they are wearing I keep it to myself. Those parents are raising an inconsiderate brat. Both mother and father deserve to get a swift kick. It's one thing to think something negative, another to say it outloud. And it takes a real lowlife to scream across the street at someone. Keep your head up, if you stop running they win. If you ignore them you win!
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Keep running. If it makes them angry, you're doing something right.

Never let *kitten* stop you.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Oh this made me sad :(

I hope you don't let them get you down.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    All of the above - and spray them with a supersoaker as you go by. :-)
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    I always look at it like this. Feel sorry for them. Obviously they are so insecure that they have to try to make themselves feel better by trying to put others down. You are doing a great thing for yourself, so screw them. Good luck!
  • andrea2787
    andrea2787 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Clearly everyone agrees to turn up the headphones and continue running.

But on a side note (and I didn't read ALL the posts, so I'm not sure if this was brought up already), perhaps you should keep some sort of documentation if the harassment persists. Depending on the issue, I would also not hesitate to bring it to the local authorities. Should your car tires be slashed one day, etc., it would be good to have on file that there has been problems with the neighbors. Just a thought. :) Your neighbors don't seem to be the most respectful type. :-\
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Please ignore them. I know it is difficult at time to look the other way.

I agree, I hope my neighbors are kind and show some compassion. However, this is not always the case.

You are an inspiration to me. Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Ignorant losers. Ignore them the same way you would an obnoxious child. Just pretend they don't exist.
  • hww1
    hww1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Remember: "Living well is the best revenge." Do what makes you happy and healthy--enjoy your life and your relationships. Those neighbors have to live 24/7 being who they are. How sad is that?
  • LisaMarie8713
    Options
    Keep up the great work and if you want to run down my street, I'd be behind you encouraging your progress. Be proud of where you are and where you've been. It takes a lot of strength and you'll just have to drum up some more to deal with those jerks.... I wish you the very best!!
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    wave and ay thank you that get them even more than letting it affect you they will get theres in the end if that dont morks i can ome over and kick some *kitten* for you lol
  • NicoleNeverman
    Options
    Wow. That is horrible! There is no way anyone should be yelling nasty things at anyone running, no matter what your size. When I see larger people running it actually makes me happy to see that they are active and trying their hardest to be fit.

Good on you for running. Don't let rude peoples remarks get to you.
  • danaweston
    Options
    Is it possible to run the other direction? I agree that perhaps you should have documentation of their treatment of you if it persists.
    Your real challenge will of course be on the day that they need your help with some neighborly assistance. That day will come.:laugh:
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Use it as motivation. Let haters be motivators.