I am taunted by neighbours when I run up the street

Options

Replies

• Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I will continue to run and I will draw a line under this situation and give the new neighbours the benefit of a doubt. They now know that I do not want comments made to/about me whilst I am running, lets see if they understand that.

If they refrain from making any further comments I will be happy and treat them as nicely as I treat my other neighbours.

If they continue to make comments then I know they are idiots with no social graces, I will still continue to run and I will completely blank them, or if I am feeling passive aggressive I might pretend to stiffen an occasional yawn as I sprint past.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    The world is full of a lot of mean spirited people. My suggestion, besides to keep running and use headphones, would be to make sure ALL your other neighbors hear about their bad behavior so that when these jerks need a neighborly hand, everyone turns their backs on them! So talk about it to all the good people in your neighborhood! "You wouldn't believe what a neighbor said to me!" That is how bad behavior is controlled in many cultures- it is called shunning.

Totally agree. It's amazingly effective.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It is entirely inappropriate to heckle anyone, but worse when it is neighbors. Good on you for not letting them stop you! And I pray for the 8 year old who has his parents for examples!
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    I will continue to run and I will draw a line under this situation and give the new neighbours the benefit of a doubt. They now know that I do not want comments made to/about me whilst I am running, lets see if they understand that.

If they refrain from making any further comments I will be happy and treat them as nicely as I treat my other neighbours.

If they continue to make comments then I know they are idiots with no social graces, I will still continue to run and I will completely blank them, or if I am feeling passive aggressive I might pretend to stiffen an occasional yawn as I sprint past.

My neighbors did the same thing to me but never malicious. They would say things but they were positive. Even if they arent its your neighborhood and you arent hurting anyone by jogging. If they want to be stupid by saying stupid things just smile and keep it moving. Just make sure they dont get an invite to your block party in July. Thats what I do. Keep up the good work!
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    KARMA ! It has a way of coming back to bite you in the *kitten* . These people will be biten soon.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Print off this entire thread and stuff it in their mailbox.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    How horrific.

People constantly say "people are fat cause they're lazy". There you are...RUNNING (probably way more than they can) and they make fun? Eff that. Just do what you do. haters gonna hate.
  • Tyrone_S
    Tyrone_S Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    From this story, you're out exercising to improve your health, and they're raising a kid to be a POS just like them. I think you're achieving a bit more.
  • gracenhalee08
    Options
    As mummyadsms said put headphones on and keep running ignore em! They ain't worth your time cause one of Hess days they will be told they will need to gain weight or lose it whole you are at your goal. Best of Luck, don't let them having low self esteem take you to their level. They ain't happy with themselves somewhere do they pick on others instead to admitting to what they aren't happy about. They are too ashamed to and then ac better than everyone else but they ain't better. I have a family member like this. Keep on running don't let them get you down we all love one another here, hon. ((((hugs)))
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    ****ing jerks. This sucks and I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

I don't really have any inspiring advice, but I agree with the suggestions to wear headphones or jog elsewhere. I also think it may be a good idea to document the comments in case things escalate.

Do you have a friend who you can be your running buddy? Or do you have a dog (if not, perhaps someone would be willing to let you borrow a dog during your runs). I used to carry pepper spray and a knife with me when I was hiking by myself in the woods. I once had to show the spray to a creepy dude just to let him know I had something on me.

Don't let *kitten* prevent you from taking care of yourself.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The more I think about this the more disgusted I am. I think if they do this again you should call the police. and if they do it again call them again. I think this is harassment.
  • phatycake
    phatycake Posts: 216
    Options
    Headphones...

Plus, they seem to be enjoying that its upsetting you. Don't give them the attention they're craving...
  • teioneon
    teioneon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The little scumbags probably could not keep up w/you if they tried and like show their ignorance since they have nothing else better to do with their time. I am with the others, keep the tunes going as well as yourself. Nothing on Gods green earth says you have to kiss their *kitten* but by being civil when necessary makes you the better person. That being said, you also don't have to speak to them at all so why bother. Keep up the good work.
  • clowdusc
    Options
    Some people are just plain mean.
    Just know that what you're doing is sooo great for yourself, and really I'm jealous because I can't even speed walk 2 hours more or less run. Put some head phones in, whether music is on or not really, or just make it look like your listening to music. People are less likely to sneer at you if they think you can't hear them.
    Keep pushing on though, feel free to friend me :)
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    I would tell them yes I a currently overweight and you are a moron. I will one day lose my weight, but you will still be a moron!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    These people are just idiots. Just tune them out and keep doing your own thing. I know if I saw you running around my neighborhood, I would be clapping you on because I personally can't run yet. You're doing a great job, just keep up your good work.
  • rainyrain81
    Options
    I am with everyone else they have no class or manners. Your doing your self a good justice by working out and they are loosers for not noticing it. Keep up your hard work.
  • yorkiemom0820
    yorkiemom0820 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    SOME PEOPLE ARE SO RUDE!!! YOU KEEP ON DOING YOUR RUNNING AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT THEM! YOU ARE DOING GREAT! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    These people sound like real a**holes. Not the best way to get yourself noticed in a neighborhood. And let the neighbors know what kind of people they are for sure.
    Parents need to know more than the child, and it is obvious that this is not the case.
    You are doing an amazing thing and should hold your head up high. Don't give in to their rude comments.
    I would also be careful when approaching them, as there are some really sick people in the world. You may want to report it to the authorities but leave it at that, then if there are further problems you have it covered.
    I would like to punch someone like that in the face, but that doesn't make you any better than them. But it sure would make me feel better...lol
    Keep up the good work and be proud of yourself.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others....you are awesome. Keep doing your thing!

I'd be tempted to print out a copy of this thread and drop an envelope in their mailbox. They should be ashamed of themselves