Options

Replies

• JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I say firebomb their house! :laugh: :explode:
  • yggdrasill2005
    Options
    People are such jerks. I used to run until I injured my plantar fascia. It's not a pretty sight to see me running, but it's free country. I also enjoy it and have done many 5Ks. Men would lower their window and make cow noises or point and laugh. I ignore it and use it as empowerment for the most part but some days, I would arrive home in tears. Now I only run in trails with other runners who are very nice and for the most part I get a supportive smile. You can't stop because of them. Just ignore them. Life will get them soon enough.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    You're not over reacting....your neighbors are trash and have no couth. You should NOT expect anyone, neighbors OR strangers to yell insults at you while running. Kudos to you for running and 2 hours is a long time to run; as well as 8 miles being quite a distance.

I would say when someone yells something nasty to you, you should (if you're comfortable...b/c I surely have no problem) - Yell back that at least you're doing something to lose the weight...while they're still...uncouth, rude, vile ....[fill in the blank] OR......the one thing that could really tick them off....is SMOTHER THEM WITH KINDNESS (this one is hard...I know, I've tried it) -- Simply put on your biggest smile, wave and yell "And you have a nice day as well"!! :happy:
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Wow.
    People are soo mean and rude and stupid.
    Keep on running. Dont let stupid people get in your way.

^^

keep it up. When you're more in shape and they're actually nice to you, return the favor of their douchebaggery.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Just blow them off! You are out there for YOU and not to impress anyone but yourself. I'm proud of you! Keep doing it, just wear earphones and pretend you cant hear them. They are jerks and are raising another one to be just like them.

I have some 'new' neighbors also and one of their kids (about 8 years old) called me a 'freak' a few weeks ago. I'm sure it was because I had on my bright red running shorts, a bright yellow shirt and a reflective vest. I also ride by their house on my bike, that has baskets on it and I wear a helmet and vest then too, as I bike out on country roads and was nearly hit once. At first it bothered me, then I decided that I'd be an even bigger freak for him. I just haven't figured out how yet. Maybe I'll put some plastic flowers in the baskets, or a creepy doll.That might work. My dad would be proud of me. I inherited his bike, baskets and all and I'm thrilled to have it and will NEVER take the baskets off. Also, dad had a warped sense of humor like I do, so he'd prolly love the dorky stuff I'll put in it. Anyway, I honestly feel sorry for the kid, being raised by idiots.
    Another neighbor yelled at my husband and I when we were on our bikes and said "NICE OUTFITS", as he sat on his fat butt petting his fat dog. We just smiled at him and said THANKS!!! We don't just pedal around the block, we ride 10-15 miles on a highway and other roads. Our safety comes before looks, and we'd like to keep our brains intact.

Again, just ignore them, pretend you cant hear them and keep moving! :)

We are in this for us, ignore people and their ignorant comments. We are healthier because we exercise, we are happier and we are proud of ourselves. They obviously aren't happy or they wouldn't feel the need to act like that.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I completely agree and I personally think it's a bit disgusting though.
    I've had similar things happen to me not with running, but with just walking down the school corridor sometimes. I wish I could suggest something that would really make a difference but I don't know if I can. All I can suggest is
    1. Shrug it off, for every person shouting abuse there are ten more cheering you on and the way I see it men and boys and all of us actually are conditioned by the media to see a woman as a 'one size fits all' sort of thing and if someone who is different comes along and they can't understand it the only thing they know how to do is to degrade that person. I kind of feel sorry for them, but I know that probably doesn't help.
    2. Kill them with kindness, I would keep doing exactly what you're doing, act like nothing happens and maybe when you see them shouting at you smile and wave at them. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does and it works a treat. I used to get bullied very badly at school and this actually used to cheer me up because everyone either looked like a fish out of water or just shoved made up some silly little comment in the hope that it will hurt you
    I know I've been rambling and it's probably not helped, but I'm here to talk should you ever need it.
    I think what you're doing is amazing ... Ignore the crazy people in this world who think that lifting a pint of beer is exercise.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i thought all you british people were supposed to be nice
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Shoot their house and car with a paintball gun. Repeat. Wait 26 hours. Repeat. Wait 26 hours. Repeat. Wait 23 hours. Repeat. Grin and wave at them as you run by.
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It's unbelievable how horrible people can be to another person. Keep up the good work you are doing for you. It's hard to ignore the criticism but like others have said, plug in your headphones and don't give that family another thought.
  • lanapoo
    lanapoo Posts: 57
    Options
    Wow... I'm hard of hearing myself as well, but have never encountered people like that. I say, just keep on running. This is about you, not them. You're the one making amazing lifestyle choices, not them.
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It makes me sick that there are people like your neighbours in the world. They must feel so terrible and ashamed of their own fat, balding disgusting bodies that they feel a need to take it out on you.

Balding disgusting bodies?

If you are prepared to classify male pattern hair loss as disgusting, that makes you just as bad as the people who are taunting the OP.

Be ashamed of yourself.

Forgive me, perhaps I should have said fat; balding; disgusting bodies? As in balding and disgusting being two separate things.

By the way, I find baldness quite sexy sometimes. I am not ashamed of myself, I simply have trouble with words on occasion.
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would tell them yes I a currently overweight and you are a moron. I will one day lose my weight, but you will still be a moron!
    Where's the dang "like" button when you need one!?!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Absolutely disgusting. Appalling really.
    I think you could call the cops. But, for your own peace of mind, I think you are better off just ignoring it now.
    You stood up for yourself, and called them on their ignoble, horrible behavior. Now, just keep going.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    How absolutely revolting that these idiots are teaching their small child to be a bully like they are. Obviously, based on their choosing nothing but profanity instead of more intelligent words, they are ignoramouses of the highest order, not worthy of your worry.

Were it me, I would carry a sign with me and hold it up when they start in with their attacks. It would say, "I may be fat, but you're ugly, and I'm losing weight!" :laugh: :glasses: :smokin: :bigsmile:
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    What Jack *kitten* they are. Speical needs or no speical needs. No one should EVER treat a person like that.

Question: How fit are they?

--; Get an ipod and let stupid be stupid.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but it seems you are getting great advice and support. It says more about them than it does about you. You will never change their attitude, you can only maintain yours. May they default on their mortgage and move! I would also perhaps keep a diary if it starts escalating; written word may be good proof if things do escalate to a legal/police level - not that they can do much I suppose. No legislation against idiots and drongos. (Aussie word = http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=drongo)

I am stunned - run 8.5 WOW! And great weight loss. AND good on you for speaking to the idiot - even though he is still an idiot and always will be (great that he is also ugly and balding heh heh) YOU are a good communicator! You are a winner in so many ways :smile: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Seriously if they are your neighbours then they might be around for a while so I would avoid them where possible - no-one needs that sort of angst in their lives; but don't stop running and getting stronger in every way.

Edited to add - just thinking, they have a child, you have children - will they go to the same school? Be careful if so, that child may pick on your children, since he is a nasty little s**t like his father?
  • momgotspunk
    Options
    I am so proud of you that you run despite the cruel and unfair comments that you are receiving. Also, I wanted to add that in the U.S. you would only be a size 14, because our sizes are different than yours. I don't think that is very big at all. :)
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    First you should be very proud that you can run continuously for 2 hours that is so fantastic!!! I am so upset reading this, the only good thing I can think of is imagine their face when you run by when you are thin but they are such jerks their opinion means nothing. They are so insignificant they don't deserve your help under the most dire circumstances. What a mess, I would hate to have a neighbor like that. Keep running!!!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree does it? Sorry you had to hear that from the *kitten* neighbor and his brat kid.

Keep your chin up and keep on keepin on. You are doing great- there is no way I could run like that.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I find baldness quite sexy sometimes.
    Baldness, can be very sexy....I have quite a thing for Patrick Stewart...swoon :)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/StarTrekTheNextGeneration