Lentils

Options

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite lentil recipe: http://australian.food.com/recipe/lentil-soup-for-people-who-thought-they-hated-lentils-meat-op-99564?mode=us&scaleto=12.0&st=null

This is so tasty and cheap, especially if you can find a small place that deals in vegetables/fruits like I have nearby (I can get all the herbs and most of the veggies needed for under $10 when it would cost me more at the supermarket). Throw some red pepper flakes on it and it's awesome. Even my dog liked it!

If you need to convert the recipe (like I did) the site is a little off. Just click the convert to metric button and then convert to US and it'll bring up the US measurements.
  • lgsmith12
    Options
    Hi, My name is Lore, I eat lentils and brown rice often, and yes they are filled with large amounts of good soluble fiber. You can purchase them in the can or dry, If I purchase can, I use Whole foods, low sodium. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm finally going to use the bag that has been sitting in my pantry for a year. Thanks!
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    I made a homemade BBQ sauce one evening and mixed it in with some canned lentils. A slightly different twist on baked beans!
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    serves:6 approx cals per portion: 260

2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp cumin
    225g/8oz red lentils
    1 tbsp oil
    1 sliced onion
    2 potatoes, peeled & diced
    1 tsp curry powder
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    400g can of chickpeas, drained
    4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
    Optional
    crispy fried onions to garnish
    cumin seeds browned to garnish
    coriander leaves to garnish

1. bring 1 pt water to boil. Stir in ginger, cumin and lentils.Season with salt. Simmer for 20 mins or until soft.
    2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan and stirfry onion and potato for 5-10 min, or until nearly soft. Add curry powder, chickpeas, garlic and tomatoes. Cook for a further 3-4 mins before stirring in lentil mixture. Taste and season. Cook gently for 5 mins.
    Garnish with onions, curry seeds and coriander, if using.
    Serve with rice.

Recipe from here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=710445
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    One of my fav. lentil recipe is:

1 onion chopped
    2 carrots chopped
    2 cups of hot water
    1 heaping tsp of cumin
    1 cup green lentils cleaned and rinsed
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    A pinch of salt

Salutee onion then add chopped carrots for about 5 minutes. Add boiling water. Add lentils, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook until lentils are soft.
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I often use lentils as a substitute for meat- for example in place of minced meat when I make lasagne.
    I also eat a lot of Indian Dhal and have used lentils to make falafels and vegie burgers- the uses are litterally endless and there is no shortage of recipes on the web.

I would like to add that unless you're buying organic and pesticide-free lentils it is really important to wash your lentils in running water several times before you soak/ cook them. Some imported varieties are grown with lots of pesticides.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't eat ground beef so while my husband and kids are having a burger I make myself a lentil burger. Omg they are soooo yummy!!! I love lentils in a variety of ways but lentil burgers are my favorite.
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Moroccan Chicken & Lentils
    8oz baby carrots
    1 1/2 c lentils uncooked
    1 1/2 lbs frozen breast tenders
    2 tbsp minced garlic
    3/4 tsp salt
    2 tsp salt free moroccan rub (or 3/4 tsp tumeric, 1/2 tsp ground red pepper, 1/2tsp cinnamon)
    2 (14.5oz) cans fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
    Place all ingrediants (in order) in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 5 hours or high 1 hour and then low for 7 hours
    6 (1 cup) servings - 240 cal/serving
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    ONe of my favs is making a lentil salad:

Rinse the can of lentils
    Add diced cucumber, tomato, red onion, bell peppers, spinach.
    I add kalamata olives and feta cheese.
    Season with salt and pepper, and if you want toss in a light italian or greek vinegarette.

Let sit over night - it is sooooo good!!!!! Sometimes if I want to have it, but am really hungry I will toss it with some lettuce to make it go further with few calories.

Enjoy!
  • marla_jones
    marla_jones Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump for future use! I love lentils
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    funnily enough, i've just sat down whilst my lentil and veg soup is bubbling away....lentils are great, maybe you could make a nice soup .x
  • metter2011
    metter2011 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just use them like rice, and add chicken or veggies. But I also like lentils WITH rice... I'll boil like 1/4 cup rice and 1/4 cup lentils together and add this meat seasoning I get at Whole Foods = yummy! Some people use them in place of meat, but I generally see them as more of a rice-like ingredient.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Costco sells Tasty Bite Madras Lentils that you just heat and serve as a side dish or as a meal if you like. So easy and very good!
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    We make adas polo very often. It is a Persian dish made of rice and brown lentils with dried raisins or dates. You can also add ground beef or lamb with turmeric to it. It is easy and quick to make. I am not inserting a recipe here because mine is in a real book but if you are interested and cannot find a good one online you can message me and I will scan the page for you.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think I have some lentils in the pantry...hmmmm.....
  • biglew909
    biglew909 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great info. Thanks