Hurricane Sandy

Options
123457»

Replies

• Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I was just reading about the storm and the rain already falling in NYC...there is already flooding on the Hudson because of the full moon making tides higher. I'd say if there's *already* flooding and the storm isn't going to fully hit for a couple more hours, it's something to be concerned about. Over 20,000 people in that area are already out of power.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i hope ya'll stay safe and will be prayin for the coasts safety!

but,isnt it a catergory one?
    ya'll its basically nothing.i've slept through a category 1 and a category 2 hurricane..
    maybe a few powerlines,stuff flown everywhere from the windor trees down and if you live on the beach it might be a little worse
    and it is smart to evacuate if you live in the low lying area's.
    but,i really cant see how its being called the "greatest threat to human life"

breathe. it's going to be fine,im sure.

you live somewhere that has had procedures in place to deal with hurricanes forever. NYC, NJ, CT, etc aren't prepared for this kind of things. The coast isn't designed to take a hit this hard. The buildings aren't made to withstand 100 mph winds like this. there are 10 times the amount of people here in a much smaller area.

with all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

in addition to that it is combining with a large cold front making it a super storm. It will cover from the Atlantic to the Great Lakes... and from the Carolinas to Canada. Amtrak - shutdown, buses - shutdown, local rails/subways - shutdown, flights - cancelled up and down the east coast. The storm surge for NYC is expected to be higher than any recorded (which will start flooding the subway). Anytime this many major cities are involved it is a huge thing.

ALSO this is the first time there is a snow prediction in conjunction with a hurricane. Blizzard plus hurricane? No good.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Thoughts going out to all of you on the east coast. I feel fortunate to be in AZ today, but have all of my family on the east coast. Please be safe
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    i hope ya'll stay safe and will be prayin for the coasts safety!

but,isnt it a catergory one?
    ya'll its basically nothing.i've slept through a category 1 and a category 2 hurricane..
    maybe a few powerlines,stuff flown everywhere from the windor trees down and if you live on the beach it might be a little worse
    and it is smart to evacuate if you live in the low lying area's.
    but,i really cant see how its being called the "greatest threat to human life"

breathe. it's going to be fine,im sure.

you live somewhere that has had procedures in place to deal with hurricanes forever. NYC, NJ, CT, etc aren't prepared for this kind of things. The coast isn't designed to take a hit this hard. The buildings aren't made to withstand 100 mph winds like this. there are 10 times the amount of people here in a much smaller area.

with all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

^ This.

I live in Miami where the building codes are much stricter and the infrastructure is designed to deal with this stuff. NYC and DC are definitely not. Even a tropical storm can do very serious damage to those areas. We have family in Baltimore that have had massive flooding (4 feet+ of standing water in their driveway) and 2-3 week long power outages from just tropical depressions.

I also find it annoying how people dismiss being prepared as "overreacting." It's not overreacting. It's being smart enough to know that these storms are unpredictable and preparation can make a huge difference in how well your family gets through it. Preparation is usually cheap and just involves a little extra time and thought.

Last year a large majority of the New England, northeastern region and eastern seaboard did not have ample warning this time last year. What was communicated as a light snow storm became a disasterous noreaster that brought on significant power loss, downed power lines, record snowfall, downed trees, and utility companies who sat on their *kitten* the whole time prior to the storm being hit and slacked off on the recovery and repairing process.

Public Service of NH - as an example was sanctioned by the Public Utilities Commission for their lack of preparedness, lacking ability to coordinate the recovery process, etc. Alot of cities scrambled to help utility workers from other states AND countries who came to our region to help with the efforts to repair/replace power lines, restore power and finally remove downed trees and plow/treat our streets. There were people without power for a good 10-14 days because of PSNH's slacking.

This year, someone FINALLY got it right and monitored this hurricane from where it came from. It took our the Caribbean and took 40+ lives with it.

Despite the fact its category was maintained, the damaging winds it produced was clear evidence through the islands that someone needed to take this seriously as it was heading for the US states.

Never, ever underestimate mother nature - and never call it 'just a category 1'.... you are not justified to think its nothing when you dont live in a region of the states (or country for that matter) where it is confirmed a major threat.

I would like to suggest to you (to the person who is proud of sleeping through a cat 1 and cat 2) to consult with our local newspapers online for the states that are being affected by this.

Here in New Hampshire, as of 11am, we are under a State of Emergency where they have demanded all vehicles off the roads as of 3pm. You are truly a very clueless person.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Looking at the pictures coming in and 3/4 of the Jersey coast line and shore are already under water. AC, Atlantic City is being devastated, This is a huge part of the NJ economy, especially with the NJEA convention scheduled there for next week. We already have 10,000 without power and it's climbing by the hour. Crews cannot repair lines until winds are below 30mph which may not be until Wednesday.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    As of 7 pm over 1.5 million customers without power (across many states). CT is experiencing dangerous flooding, very high woods, rain. The local news showed one restaurant on the coast of CT, build in the 1920's, about to slide into the ocean. Its pretty awful out there. And downright scary......
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Finally got power back. I am so saddened and heart sick at the destruction. Well wishes to everyone effected. Stay strong!!