What counts as water

Options

Replies

• BrookeRachelleH
    Options
    I see that a lot of people disagree on this subject. I even tried to research it a little and there is still no clear answer.
    I, myself, only add to my water intake if I drink plain water. I also drink a lot of coffee but I log that as coffee...because that's what it is.
    I've always heard that caffiene dehydrates you so I always try to drink a glass of water with my coffee.
    Whether or not it does, depends on the person I guess. I feel that if I drink too much coffee I feel more dehydrated.
    I know that fruits and veggies provide a lot of water but I still log those as fruits and veggies.
    My fascination with water came on a day when I had a major hangover. I felt horrible. My body was so weak and tired, my head hurt and overall I just felt bad. And I was, of course, super thirsty.
    I've had hangovers before, and I was always really thirsty, but I always stuck to soft drinks and milk and juice. Well on this particular day, I went to the gas station and bought one of those huge bottles of Aquafina...and I chugged it.
    Afterwards, I felt soooo much better it was unbelievable.
    Ever since then, I have tried to replace my beverages with plain water.
    My theory is, all those other 'diet' drinks may not have calories in them, but they do have artificial sweeteners in them. And those are definitely NOT good for you.
    I think that unsweetened tea is good for you, but I would log it as tea...because that is what it is...
    I am going to stop rambling now...
  • gerimom17
    gerimom17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Tea, Crystal Light, or any flavored water. Coffee, I guess. Not sodas though.
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    I count anything I drink that does not have caffine in it since caffine is a diuretic. (sp? LOL)
  • amysol
    amysol Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think water or carbonated water is all that counts for water. I mean you don't want to drink a gallon of nutra sweeted drinks every day. Those are my thoughts.

Personally I use www.sodastream.com soda maker to carbonate my water, I don't add syrups. I like carbonated water AKA sparkling water better. It helps me drink 1 to 1.5 gallons a day easily.

AMY :-)
  • gingbean
    gingbean Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The only thing that counts as water is unsweetened herbal tea and water. Not coffee. Not soda. Not crystal light (fake sugars, stay far, far away!!). Just the UNsweetened herbal tea and water. Nothing else counts as water.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The only thing that counts as water is unsweetened herbal tea and water. Not coffee. Not soda. Not crystal light (fake sugars, stay far, far away!!). Just the UNsweetened herbal tea and water. Nothing else counts as water.
    Why?
    Is the water magically changed to something else because it's mixed with something?
    Tap water and bottled water contain all kinds of chemicals too. Should we count them as water?
    I guess we're left with 100% pure distilled water.
    That's why my water counter always reads zero. :D
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    hot plain tea and water count a water for me. I drink green tea once a day, and love it.
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I count water, herbal teas and unsweetened tea as water. I don't drink coffee or sugar free drinks often, but when I do I count them as what they are rather than as water. Obviously anything with sugar I would never count as water. If I were tracking fluids then I'd just put them all together and count water alone. So....
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    I guess maybe I'm confused as to what people are saying here.
    When I say "count as water", I mean the counter a t the bottom of the recommended 8 glasses per day.
    Any drink can count towards that.
    If it has calories, you should book it as a calorie intake as well.
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading a book about water. According to the book, for the health benefits of water (including weight loss), the only thing that counts as water is pure, clear water with nothing added. No tea, Crystal Light and etc. Those would not count as a glass of water. Some of those things actually have a dehydrating effect. My husband actually worries me because the only liquids he gets are coffee and Diet Mt. Dew. I'm trying to convert him, lol.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I personally count squash, decaf tea and coffee and herbal teas etc to my water count, but I also include the calories of those items too into my daily allowance. I admit I am a fan of having my water flavoured with something.
    If it contains caffeine then I don't include it.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    I just finished reading a book about water. According to the book, for the health benefits of water (including weight loss), the only thing that counts as water is pure, clear water with nothing added. No tea, Crystal Light and etc. Those would not count as a glass of water. Some of those things actually have a dehydrating effect. My husband actually worries me because the only liquids he gets are coffee and Diet Mt. Dew. I'm trying to convert him, lol.

So you are drinking distilled water then? I wouldn't do that.
    Tap or bottled water has minerals (which we need) in it, so it is not pure.
    It is no different to diffuse some tea or even add sugar.
    It doesn't magically change from water and your stomach uptake won't be any different.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Water. Period.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I personally only count water as water, because then I'm too tempted to add sugary-type things or caffiene to my diet. :)
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Water. Period.

I give up.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Nutritionists say tea, water, coffee (no sweeteners added to any) count as water.
    I personally only count water as water
  • FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's rare that I actually track my water intake because I drink so much throughout the day. I'll usually log one of my drinks per meal & leave it at that. I do count unsweetened tea in the water area & it's rare for a glass not to be somewhere nearby when I'm home. It's where I get the largest portion of my daily water but I still drink atleast 4-5 glasses of plain water each day, too.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Water is water. My Doctor said vitamin waters are a good source of vitamins and water. :)

Your doctor needs to go back to med school, then. Vitamin waters are very bad for you, actually.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Nutritionists say tea, water, coffee (no sweeteners added to any) count as water.
    I personally only count water as water

BUT Crystal Light in water doesn't change the property of water. It's still water. Despite having crystal light in it.

The first ingredient of soda is water.

Without water there is no coffee.

I'm not sure I understand why these things cease being water simply because they have additives in them that may or may not be healthy.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Water is water. My Doctor said vitamin waters are a good source of vitamins and water. :)

does your doctor secretly work for coca-cola?