What counts as water

Options

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Nutritionists say tea, water, coffee (no sweeteners added to any) count as water.
    I personally only count water as water

BUT Crystal Light in water doesn't change the property of water. It's still water. Despite having crystal light in it.

The first ingredient of soda is water.

Without water there is no coffee.

I'm not sure I understand why these things cease being water simply because they have additives in them that may or may not be healthy.
    They don't, but I give up.
    This site seems to be about as scientifically rigorous as an episode of Oprah.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Nutritionists say tea, water, coffee (no sweeteners added to any) count as water.
    I personally only count water as water

BUT Crystal Light in water doesn't change the property of water. It's still water. Despite having crystal light in it.

The first ingredient of soda is water.

Without water there is no coffee.

I'm not sure I understand why these things cease being water simply because they have additives in them that may or may not be healthy.

you're not wrong.

soda is water + acid + sugar + potassium + salt.

water is supposed to hydrate you. you cant count diuretics as a source of water because they have THE OPPOSITE effect of drinking water.

if you just drank diuretics your kidneys would drop out and you would dry up like a giant human grape.

so if its not a diuretic then you may at least get the benefits from the water in it.

this is a dumb question. JUST FRICKEN DRINK WATER.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    When I drink a cup of tea I add 1 cup to my water count. Because it's water.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Water is water. My Doctor said vitamin waters are a good source of vitamins and water. :)

Your doctor needs to go back to med school, then. Vitamin waters are very bad for you, actually.

Where did you get your medical degree?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

:)
    About as inconsistent too.
  • jozettesummers
    Options
    I was at the dr today and he said that anything without caffeine counts as water. not sure if that helps but that is what my dr said.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Acording to the dietician I see, coffee and tea count as water, but are to be consumed in limited quantites, such as one or 2 cups per day. Water with chrystal light is fine. Personally I drink plain water during the day and a flavored, zero calorie, zero sodium sparkling water in the evening. So I count my coffee, but again, don't drink a ton of it.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    water is water...if its black tea then that's black tea.... If its coffee I call that coffee. If its milk I call that Milk. Captain Morgan I call that my little secret. DONT JUDGE
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    the ocean...the ocean counts as water.
  • dschafer34
    Options
    I dont know why its such an issue. If it is made of mostly water, and does not contain a diuretic (caffein, alcohol, etc) then it is water. The way a lot of people look it it, if you take 12 oz of water, add a crystal lite packet to it, it is no longer water, and the 12oz doesnt count to your total. But with their same logic, if you drink 12 oz water, then eat a crystal lite packet, then magically that water counts as water. *facepalm*
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    water is water...if its black tea then that's black tea.... If its coffee I call that coffee. If its milk I call that Milk. Captain Morgan I call that my little secret. DONT JUDGE

So ... the water in the tea ceases to be water when you add tea? How does that chemical reaction work?
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

So ... the water in the tea ceases to be water when you add tea? How does that chemical reaction work?

Yes you are correct. It changes from water into tea. If it remained water we would call it.... Water: not tea. You dont understand how tea leaves work in water?
  • rml_16
    Options

Yes you are correct. It changes from water into tea. If it remained water we would call it.... Water: not tea. You dont understand how tea leaves work in water?

Again, I ask, how is the water that you added tea leaves to no longer water? It is now water with tea leaves in it, yes. But how is it not still H2O?
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Again, I ask, how is the water that you added tea leaves to no longer water? It is now water with tea leaves in it, yes. But how is it not still H2O?

The point is, as soon as you add things like sodium and caffeine, your "required" daily water intake INCREASES. Caffeine is a diuretic (which makes you poo out more water), and sodium makes your tissues harbor more water (that then becomes unavailable for daily processes) so technically yes, all liquids are water, but additives like caffeine and sodium cause MORE water loss than in a normal day without it.

I have been told for every cup of coffee, drink another one of plain water to offset the loss. I'm sure it can go for similar beverages with sodium and caffeine.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to make this decision for themselves. I don't really count water, but then I drink a ton of it without counting. The point is that you drink enough FLUIDS to keep your body hydrated. Water is not the only thing that can do it, but if you want to set personal goals of drinking x amount of water, or x amount of fluids, or x amount of tea, or whatever you want to set a goal for, do it. It doesn't make your goal any less valid than someone elses.
  • rml_16
    Options

The point is, as soon as you add things like sodium and caffeine, your "required" daily water intake INCREASES. Caffeine is a diuretic (which makes you poo out more water), and sodium makes your tissues harbor more water (that then becomes unavailable for daily processes) so technically yes, all liquids are water, but the caffeine itself causes MORE water loss than in a normal day without it.

I have been told for every cup of coffee, drink another one of plain water to offset the loss. I'm sure it can go for similar beverages with sodium and caffeine.

Eh. Not true about reasonable amounts of caffeine. But whatever.

Water is water and adding tea or coffee or Crystal Light to it doesn't make it not water.

If you choose to only count plain water for yourselves, that's totally cool. But it doesn't mean others can't choose a different path. Milk, juice, all of those things hydrate the body. The "water" requirement is about hydration, not how much plain water one must ingest.
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

The point is, as soon as you add things like sodium and caffeine, your "required" daily water intake INCREASES. Caffeine is a diuretic (which makes you poo out more water), and sodium makes your tissues harbor more water (that then becomes unavailable for daily processes) so technically yes, all liquids are water, but the caffeine itself causes MORE water loss than in a normal day without it.

Water is water and adding tea or coffee or Crystal Light to it doesn't make it not water.

If you choose to only count plain water for yourselves, that's totally cool. But it doesn't mean others can't choose a different path. Milk, juice, all of those things hydrate the body. The "water" requirement is about hydration, not how much plain water one must ingest.

Apparently caffeine is not a diuretic. News to me. (woo now I don't have to hit my water goal so high now)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Apparently caffeine is not a diuretic. News to me. (woo now I don't have to hit my water goal so high now)

Try reading this: http://answers.webmd.com/answers/1166858/is-caffeine-a-diuretic
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Anti-freeze, nacho cheese sauce, snow, butterscotch topping, Lemon Burst Mr. Clean All Purpose Cleaner
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

Actually no ..it makes it Tea or coffee or crystal light. It contains water but so does. Paint! Good luck with your diet and your paint drinking.