Anyone tried this...?

Options
Just curious if anyone has ever tried the 7-day Cabbage Soup Diet and had success?

I have done it twice (the first time I cheated half-way through and the second time I successfully completed it). I saw weight-loss both times I did it, and I believe I maintained what I lost --- at first. And then I cheated and started eating whatever I wanted again. *sigh*

I have heard that you can lose up to 10 pounds in the 7 days, but that it's all mostly water-weight. I have heard that the diet is more like a cleanse --- and it really does work in that way.

Has anyone done it before and had success? How much did you lose? Would you do the diet again?

I'm thinking about doing it again next week as a sort of a "hitting the reset button" type of thing as I get started into MFP.

Anyone have any thoughts on this...?

Replies

• sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it...never tried it. I tend to stay clear of diets like that. I think I would try it if I was really bloated and needed to lose water weight. I know of course that it isn't fat you're losing as much as water, but if I had to fit into a certain outfit for a day I may do it...then get back on track with the more realistic way of taking off fat with diet and exercise. I also know I'd get so bored or hungry that I'd probably cheat anyway. :laugh:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    One of the benefits of moderate weight loss are the lessons you learn about how to control your food intake in a sustainable manner.

The big reason crash diets like this are bound to fail is that you never really learn anything, other than how to crash diet. So now you know two things: 1) How to eat in the way that made you fat, 2) how to crash diet. Since that's all you know, that's the cycle you end up repeating.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Is there a recipe for cabbage soup?
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I too would consider that more of a fast/cleanse than a diet. But I am a believer in the occasional fast or cleanse. I think they are beneficial in moderation.
  • fit_spired_vicky
    Options
    Mono-diets arent healthy, even when they are based on such healthy veggie as cabbage is.

Youll lose weight at first, of course, but will you eat cabbage soup to the rest of your life? Of course not.

So you will gain it all back.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Ewwwww...

:) I love my food way too much. (Might help if I liked cabbage.)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I too would consider that more of a fast/cleanse than a diet. But I am a believer in the occasional fast or cleanse. I think they are beneficial in moderation.

This post is killing me lol
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I make a shew-wee that is all.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

you and me both.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I got some preggo pee you can buy
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

you and me both.

Please elaborate before you die on us.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    personally i wouldn't think thats too healthy. and what happens after the 7 days? will it make you BINGE and wanna eat everything in sight? i myself would never try this.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone has ever tried the 7-day Cabbage Soup Diet and had success?

I have done it twice (the first time I cheated half-way through and the second time I successfully completed it). I saw weight-loss both times I did it, and I believe I maintained what I lost --- at first. And then I cheated and started eating whatever I wanted again. *sigh*

I have heard that you can lose up to 10 pounds in the 7 days, but that it's all mostly water-weight. I have heard that the diet is more like a cleanse --- and it really does work in that way.

Has anyone done it before and had success? How much did you lose? Would you do the diet again?

I'm thinking about doing it again next week as a sort of a "hitting the reset button" type of thing as I get started into MFP.

Anyone have any thoughts on this...?

It's obviously not successful if you tried it twice before and here you are in the same boat trying to lose weight again. Do it the sensible way. There's no need to torture yourself and your digestive system with all that watered down cabbage!!!! Eat healthy meals and exercise, make this a lifestyle choice and you won't be here a year from now pondering cabbage quick fixes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work... A healthy lifestyle works!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

you and me both.

Please elaborate before you die on us.

FASTING/CLEANSING and MODERATION. hilarious.
  • vickij2
    vickij2 Posts: 66
    Options
    There are many recipes on line for cabbage soup. It is not really bad....you have to look at it as a cleanse and not long term. You will lose weight.:smile:
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Never tried that one, but I tried jump-starting a diet with the hot lemonade, maple syrup, and cayenne cleanse years ago. I lost 8 pounds in a week but put it right back on by 2-3 weeks after that. It seems that the desire to eat grows exponentially with "diets" like this.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Instead of doing a fad diet that's not healthy for you, why don't you just start eating right today? Right now. Log your food. All of it. Eat healthy food. Exercise, move more. Treat yourself once in a while so you don't feel like you're on a DIET! Make room for treats by doing a little extra exercise if you have to. If you feel like you're on a diet, you'll feel deprived and crave stuff, give in and perhaps binge. Care about your body and nourish it instead of starving it. You cannot maintain a 'diet'. A diet is temporary. Eating right and moving more is a lifestyle.

If you can't do all of that at once, start slow. Log food first. Recognize what is not healthy for you. Start walking, but walk slow so you don't get burnt out. Or do whatever exercise you'd like. Then start eating healthier. Then move more. You get the drift.

Good luck and I hope you figure out a way to get you on track. <hugs>
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you read this.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/detox-diets-purging-myths

I do not usually link to webmd - but its a good write up.

ETA: Summary

"Touted as a way to remove harmful toxins in the body and promote weight loss, detox diets are hotter than ever. Hollywood stars do it days before gracing the red carpet, Dr. Oz has his own formula, spa retreats feature them, and many diet books are based on detox beliefs.

But despite the popularity of detox diets, nutrition experts say they are not necessary nor are they scientifically proven to work.

Fasting to detoxify and lose weight is not necessary, says Frank Sacks, MD, a leading epidemiologist at the Harvard School of Public Health. "There is no basis in human biology that indicates we need fasting or any other detox formula to detoxify the body because we have our own internal organs and immune system that take care of excreting toxins," Sacks says."
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In....

...to learn more about the incredible health benefits of extreme fasting and other "cleanses".

I'm also anxious to learn how much excess material has accumulated on the walls of my intestines and how depriving myself of all but a very short list of foods will cause my liver to do something magical.