Jerk at the Gym

Options
I have been going to the gym consistently since August - however, I am on week 8 of a certain workout plan.

In the beginning I was just tracking my weight, but since I am lifting, the scale hardly moved. So, I started taking measurements on 9/13.

I have lost 2.5 inches from my waist since I started taking measurements and I feel pretty great about it. I am not going to turn into a supermodel overnight, these things take time.

Slow and steady wins the race!

Today, some jerk at the gym came up to me and told me, "hey, I see you are working on your stomach, I have a better workout for you."

I told him, "No, thanks, I have my own plan." The douche kept on!

This guy is NOT in any shape to tell me about "ab workouts" - he has a jiggly belly. Who does he think he is to offer up advice?

There are hundreds of different ab workout routines, you do what works best for you. I wanted to tell the guy off, instead I just walked away before I punched him in the damn face!

Just here to vent!

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to bite my tongue when I see someone with really bad form but abs are a different story. There are so many variations and who's to say which exercise is better than another? I have strong abs but they're so well hidden you'd never know it. Good on you for just walking away. He should've just stopped when you said you weren't interested. Maybe he thought you were going to seriously injure yourself or something. Or maybe he's got a big ego. I too found the scale hardly moved for the first few months of lifting. Keep at it.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have a difficult time biting my tongue too when I see certain things. Its usually women who are lifting weights that weigh less than their purses. but so is life, I suppose...
  • RosaC773
    RosaC773 Posts: 126
    Options
    I don't mind taking tips on form, I had a few people help me with dumbbell rows and lat pulldowns - I always love advice on form.

I just felt he wasn't in any position to tell me about my ab routine. He was talking about ab workouts, that he knows better exercises.

Routine and form are two different things. A crunch is pretty basic.

He doesn't know how my body has changed, it was just annoying how he came off.
  • RosaC773
    Options
    I have a difficult time biting my tongue too when I see certain things. Its usually women who are lifting weights that weigh less than their purses. but so is life, I suppose...

lol To each their own, everyone has their own personal fitness goal.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    maybe he was hitting on you.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    No offense I understand where you are coming from but have you actually thought about where this guy came from? Maybe he was 500 pounds and glued to the couch and he worked himself down. Maybe he just thought he would give you a tip since he had not seen you around. You don't have to get all miffed for nothing. I've had 300 pound housewives give me useful advice during strength training, I was not in need of their assistance but its something to file away for the future.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i had the same thing happen to me... but the guy ended up following me and i ended up havin to complain to staff about it..
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    He was tryng to impress you hahaha

7b47ec8b-592e-4845-9c0f-3d108eb7efca.gif
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, I cant stand people who offer their unsolicited advice. I can't stand when people talk to me at all at the gym. Leave me alone I'm there to workout not socialize! He just wanted to talk to you cuz hes a .....guy!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

^^^^
    This.

Especially if he wasn't in any shape to give tips, he was probably trying to use humor as an opener. But sadly he crashed and burned... into a gas truck that was refueling a gas station.
  • RosaC773
    Options
    I use to be in great shape, I know what it takes.

Losing weight from 500 to 300lbs shouldn't really make you an expert on chiseled abs - let people do their own thing.

Again, I said no thanks very politely, he shouldn't have kept on.

The point is, there are a hundred different ab workouts, you do what works best for you. He doesn't know where I came from, I have lost 2.5 inches in 6 weeks from my waist alone, I am showing results based on my own routine.
  • RosaC773
    Options
    i had the same thing happen to me... but the guy ended up following me and i ended up havin to complain to staff about it..

Creepy, I hope you haven't seen him around.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i bet that was his socially awkward way to not introduce you to a new ab workout but more to a hip thrusting workout
  • RosaC773
    Options

^^^^
    This.

Especially if he wasn't in any shape to give tips, he was probably trying to use humor as an opener. But sadly he crashed and burned... into a gas truck that was refueling a gas station.

lol Maybe.
  • SP2Bfit
    SP2Bfit Posts: 114
    Options
    The real issue is he didn't respect your attempt to decline unsolicited and unwanted help....he was like a pesky telemarketer that you would have to say "no" to a thousand times and still maybe just have to walk away from in order to get peace. I find it very frustrating when someone acts like their plan is the only plan or best plan for everyone. Maybe he was just trying to be nice, maybe he was attempting to flirt, maybe he's was just an annoying know it all...who knows...but experiences like that are exactly why I exercise in my basement--and put up a curtain so that when my husband's friends are over I can shut them out too!
  • RosaC773
    Options
    i bet that was his socially awkward way to not introduce you to a new ab workout but more to a hip thrusting workout

Lmao.
  • SP2Bfit
    SP2Bfit Posts: 114
    Options

^^^ROFL absolutely on target!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    He was tryng to impress you hahaha

7b47ec8b-592e-4845-9c0f-3d108eb7efca.gif

Oh. Em. Gee. I DIE!! :laugh: :sad: :laugh:
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    He was probably trying to hit on you. Just ignore him and do you. Tell him to take his own advice and you will try it when it works for him.
  • RosaC773
    Options
    The real issue is he didn't respect your attempt to decline unsolicited and unwanted help....he was like a pesky telemarketer that you would have to say "no" to a thousand times and still maybe just have to walk away from in order to get peace. I find it very frustrating when someone acts like their plan is the only plan or best plan for everyone. Maybe he was just trying to be nice, maybe he was attempting to flirt, maybe he's was just an annoying know it all...who knows...but experiences like that are exactly why I exercise in my basement--and put up a curtain so that when my husband's friends are over I can shut them out too!

Great analogy! Yes, I am going to start going to the gym with my husband whenever I can.