Not that I'm an alcoholic or anything but....

Options

Replies

• missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I wish you strength !!!!!!!

Thank you!!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I love vodka! And I really had to cut back because if I drink too much of it then, I also get the urge to snack on foods that I wouldn't normally crave. For example, too much vodka makes me crave things like pancakes at midnight or cold spaghetti at 3am, lol. (I'm being serious, lol!) Not to mention good vodka is not cheap. I also love good whiskey, lol. And of course, red wine - with a platter of cheese...yum! Did I mention I love expensive champagne?

Since I'm now cutting back on it... I've decided not to buy any for a while - so that at least this way I won't be tempted :)

This is me exactly lol. why does alcohol make me crave everything under the sun? I eat everything I never would normally when drunk. Then wonder why I feel like a pile of poo the next day.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Never a good sign it you start out with " not that I'm and alcoholic or anything but..." lol

My ex ran a drug and alcohol center so no you will not withdrawl from it unless you spend almost every day drunk.

I haven't drank in almost 2 years never had a problem with drinking but because of my weight the dr said I had the liver of an alcoholic. So I gave it up. If my liver is already angry at me for being fat why piss it off more? I really only miss the excuse of being drunk. Like **** I totally flashed some random person sheesh I was drunk. Now when I flash random people I have got no excuse. Sorry I'm just sober and rediculous. ???... no not the same.

If you are just looking to be healthier and cut the calories then just go for it! Or cut back by only going out once a month rather than every weekend.
    Regardless of what you decied kudos to you for questioning it. Drinking is a huge part of our society and until you are the person not drinking you maybe would never notice.

I can only imagine what my liver's like :/ I've cut back a lot from where I used to be, but weekends still kill me. I like your idea of once a month. After my sob-vember challenge, I think I'll try just doing that. It's been lately just so many events happening that every weekend was an opportunity to be drunk and I have no will power being around it and not doing it. YET that is. I will get myself there though.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I was drinking Vodka, but have not had any for a few months. I stopped when I saw the amount of calories per an ounce! And who drinks only an ounce?

Haha my thoughts exactly! I hate looking at my diary and seeing like 10 ounces of vodka, 8 ounces of whiskey. That got me thinking...Hmm, probably need to stop.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Was drinking a bottle of burboun a day..... a 1ltr bottle that is. Took days off work JUST to drink. Was a great drunk, was funny & could type way better.... trust me I could touch type so fast & with NO mistakes, not like sober. Was like that for about 4 years

Went cold turkey. Gave it totally up. Poured the rest of what I had down the sink. Don't allow it in the house & I never drank out.

Oh wow, that's awesome you were able to give it up like that!

Was tough, but glad I did. Have not drunk in 3 years now. Not since I got hurt & could not drink & have my painkillers. It was really hard on me. Worth it though.

I'm looking forward to feeling better and not wasting half my weekends hungover, that's for sure.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I enjoy wine and margarita's. I have actually started drinking more now that I'm smaller. I'm not proud of that, just stating the truth. I think it's because I hang out with people who drink and work in a bar. Sometimes after work I'll have a rita. Now that we have a new rule where we can't drink AT the bar, I see me not having a drink after work anymore, no fun when you can socialize with your friends. I do have a bottle of wine at least once a week though.

ETA:// I am still losing weight so I don't notice much I try to apply it to my calories.

Working in a bar would be rough! But I hear you on the wine! I do love wine. But I think I can at least not have a bottle or two each time I drink. Might be a bit on the excessive side lol.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I used to drink a lot myself. Of course like most people have said once you log the calories its kind of a slap in the face. Never realized just how a tiny drink could be so many calories. I do think I experienced some withdrawal at first. I didn't quit, but I did drastically cut down. I only drink once a week and even then I try to make it something reasonable (if it's beer light, if its a cocktail I avoid all the fruity crap). When I was going through withdrawals the best thing that helped was keeping busy and focusing on the fitness aspect. I spent a lot of time at the gym that week. If you're concerned about side effects of quitting or cutting down definitely talk to a doctor, they could give you some other options we might not have thought of. Good luck =]

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the idea of cutting down a lot more than I like the idea of quitting. I have to go see my doctor soon, so I'll probably try to get some advice from him.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Weekends are pretty horrible for me as well. I have not stopped drinking but I have changed what and how much. I got to the point I was stuck on my weight and the drink changes combined with logging my calories have me back to the 1 1/2 to 2 lbs week loss.

It has only been a few weeks, but so far so good!

I try to stay away from beer, but if I do have one I go with a "diet" type. Mixed drinks I try to keep simple. I mix whatever with just plain tea (yes, I know this sounds weird. I think my taste-buds maybe dead to actually like this haha.)

I tried changing what kind I was drinking and that seemed to help. I haven't gained since I started eating better and exercising, I just know I could be doing a lot better if I'd cut out this one thing. Keep it up though, that's awesome you're doing well with it. Gives me hope lol.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Ive cut back. Used to drink 4 days a week about 10 drinks each day. Now I drink one day a week, maybe 2. Still around 10 drinks. Now I try to only drink vodka with water and lemon juice, so the only calories I get are from the vodka (about 70 calories an ounce). And I dont eat after Ive started drinking since processing the booze becomes your bodies first priority and anything you eat is just stored.

ETA: During the week I usually save some calories so I can go over on my weekend too. And I exercise earlier that day, or the day after (if Im not too hungover)

I might try this vodka with lemon juice idea! That sounds good actually. I sometimes only do shots, but that gets me a little too gone too quickly :/ How do you not eat after drinking though?! I always want to eat when I'm drunk. It's my worst habit, other than sometimes drinking too much to begin with of course.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I use to drink three to four 20 oz diet dr pepper's a day. A day now. There was very little water I drank with the dr. Pepper too. If I wanted something to drink, I went straight to the dr. Pepper. To say I was addicted? Yes. Still slightly am.

yet, this is what I did. I downsized on how many I had a day. Four became three. Three became two. Two became a dr. Pepper and ah half. (12 oz.)

Maybe this will work for you. From there, I stopped drinking it all together for a few months. I went straight to tea and water. I still keep that habit up.

To this day, I drink water and water mostly. However, I have one can of diet Dr. Pepper a day. Five days. None on Saturday. Maybe one on Sunday.

I think it's the caffeine. I tried coffee but about the time I get to the coffee in my janitor closet. It's cold. So...

That's a good way to go about it. I may have to try that instead. Thanks!
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I lost about 10 pounds from quitting alcohol alone - that's what got me started on on the weight loss/fitness journey. I'd suggest reading Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" - cheesy title but it worked for me. I've been sober for 10 months now.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I am a pretty heavy binge drinker when I start(could polish off a 26er in one night), but by logging those calories it made me realize that I have a limit I can drink unless I want to go over my daily limit. Hopefully it works for you as it so far has for me.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I lost about 10 pounds from quitting alcohol alone - that's what got me started on on the weight loss/fitness journey. I'd suggest reading Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" - cheesy title but it worked for me. I've been sober for 10 months now.

I will check that out, thanks!!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I am a pretty heavy binge drinker when I start(could polish off a 26er in one night), but by logging those calories it made me realize that I have a limit I can drink unless I want to go over my daily limit. Hopefully it works for you as it so far has for me.

My problem is not logging and planning for those alcohol calories and then realizing after I've consumed them how bad I did. And I know they all add up, but after a few, I stop thinking about it or caring. Hence my sober month coming up!!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I drink beer.

I drank 18+ beers a night every night for 5 years or more. So yes, weight gain happpened while i drank.

However, i didnt lose massive amounts when i stopped. Alcohol dehydrates you, so actually now (i drink on saturdays only, unless i have a RARE (like this past weekend) "cheat weekend" i actually lose weight when i drink because im so dehydrated...

I weigh on Fridays... however out of curisioty, i weighed on Sunday after a weekend of drinking massive amounts Friday, Saturday, and a 6 pack on sunday.... i was 4 pounds less, however Monday morning was a different story. I was back to where i started.

So I cannot say that a night of drinking will cause you to gain, because the alcohol dehydrates you so badly.. but days and days and days of drinking will eventually cause you to gain.

Its all about calories IN vs OUT because i calorie cycle.. so i CAN drink on the weekend.

And i AM an alcoholic.

edited to say if you check out my diary.. i ALWAYS log my alcohol. 12 here... 6 there.. 18 there.. 27 there.. lol.. but i always log.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Just from personal experience, I find the less I drink, the better. I lose weight quickly. I'm not wasting time being hungover. I'm not undoing all the work I've put into getting healthy, which means not putting harmful things into my body. It's one of those things where if you can, just skip it. You might feel like **** for a week when you first stop, and it's hard adjusting your social life, but if you can't drink in moderation then you shouldn't drink at all :-/
  • DeeNelly
    DeeNelly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To me when you take out anything from your diet cold turkey the results are immediate. Like if you are a huge soda or juice all day person and in my case a few glasses of red you lose those extra calories so there has to be a positive result from that. I stick to red wine so it can at least be heart healthy and try to limit myself to 2. I find that you may be thumb-twiddling for a few days then the cravings over. Alcohol is bad in soooo many ways and it makes everyone look puffy and I mean like bloat. Its important to just make priorities do you wanna party hard and not love your body or do you want to sacrifice the vice for a moment to improve your overall health and look. If you go cold turkey busy yourself. That is def a better idea than trying to limit your intake because once you drink your decisions become poorer and you will not be able to probably just have a small amount. Good luck!
  • jessieraefitness
    jessieraefitness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to drink A LOT. When I cut back a lot I was loosing more weight, but then my tolerance dramatically dropped. So when I'd just go out on the weekends I'd get plowed off a few drinks compared to the dozens. So be careful;). I still like to have a few on the weekends, but that's all I can handle. It took a few mishaps, but I finally got it down and even if I go over just a bit on the weekends I still keep loosing. Probably not as much as I could, but I like my glasses of wine, and I'm still doing great. Good luck, just keep track so you don't go over too much:)
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I drink beer.

I drank 18+ beers a night every night for 5 years or more. So yes, weight gain happpened while i drank.

However, i didnt lose massive amounts when i stopped. Alcohol dehydrates you, so actually now (i drink on saturdays only, unless i have a RARE (like this past weekend) "cheat weekend" i actually lose weight when i drink because im so dehydrated...

I weigh on Fridays... however out of curisioty, i weighed on Sunday after a weekend of drinking massive amounts Friday, Saturday, and a 6 pack on sunday.... i was 4 pounds less, however Monday morning was a different story. I was back to where i started.

So I cannot say that a night of drinking will cause you to gain, because the alcohol dehydrates you so badly.. but days and days and days of drinking will eventually cause you to gain.

Its all about calories IN vs OUT because i calorie cycle.. so i CAN drink on the weekend.

And i AM an alcoholic.

edited to say if you check out my diary.. i ALWAYS log my alcohol. 12 here... 6 there.. 18 there.. 27 there.. lol.. but i always log.

I'm going to add you if you don't mind so I can check out your diary and how you log it without going over.