Not that I'm an alcoholic or anything but....

Options
Okay, so I've decided in the spirit of commiting myself to this new healthy lifestyle, I've got to make changes. The biggest one is to cut back an extreme amount on alochol. If you viewed my food diary during the week, you'd probably think it decent. If you viewed it on the weekend, you'd think it's atrocious. It's true, I probably consume more calories in alcohol than I do in food on the weekends. And I go out for meals more frequently on the weekends, so that's saying something. That being said, moderation would be okay, but I don't trust myself to be "moderate" and I want to know how much of a difference it makes to live a sober lifestyle as opposed to ruining all my hard work during the week by binging on the weekends.
The purpose of this post you might ask? Can anyone give me tips/advice/suggestions/their personal stories/stories they've heard/stories they've read/etc/etc of quitting drinking cold turkey? Do people withdraw from it? Does it help you lose more weight? These are the kinds of things I'd like to know. Please share if you could. And feel free to add me if you think you're up for the challenge of keeping me in line with this decision :]

Replies

• nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    i quit for 2 years and didn't notice anything, so i dunno.
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options

No change in weight loss from quitting?
  • MercurialScribes
    Options
    I'm ner (first day) but your post caught my eye... I forgot to even log the alcoholic drinks I had today... drat. Now I'm gonna be even more over my limit. I have quit drinking cold-turkey a few times, and, depending on how much and how often you drink, there can be withdrawal symptoms, both physical and psychological. It's definitely do-able, especially if you only drink on the weekends... I'm not a professional, but I'd totally be willing to help support you if you'll help support me, because I need to quit too if I'm gonna come in below my calorie/fat intakes. The worst is the social aspect... you can do it though! Quitting cold turkey might not even be necessary, just moderation :)
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of calories in wine when I went out so when I started MFP I went cold turkey for a month for calorie control reasons. This was easier because I had no social engagements except dinner out with my husband and we had a pact that he wouldn't order for me or pour. After that month I started adding one glass with dinner out and then two. It seemed that I had better contol over mindless consumption and enjoyed the drinks I had. Of course now and again there is a blow-out on a big evening but its not a habit anymore so the calories are not excessive. It really does get easier...
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I cut down the amount of alcohol I drank and/or drank lower calorie drinks. Having said that there were a few weekends when I went out to special events where I didn't, but I tried to mitigate it by doing exercise which really helped. I found that as I lost more weight, I was motivated not to drink so much as I didn't want to undo the good work I'd done. Another thing I did was to be the designated driver when we went out, that meant I couldn't drink, or was limited to a very small amount so tended not to bother.

I still lost my weight, just a bit slower than I might have done if I had given up alcohol. My friend gave it up for 2 months and she lost a hell of a lot, but she was also doing Boot Camp. So it's hard to tell if just giving up would have helped as much.
  • nphect
    Options

im a pretty big exerciser , i love to run, so i can loose weight fast if i want to go in that direction.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I'm ner (first day) but your post caught my eye... I forgot to even log the alcoholic drinks I had today... drat. Now I'm gonna be even more over my limit. I have quit drinking cold-turkey a few times, and, depending on how much and how often you drink, there can be withdrawal symptoms, both physical and psychological. It's definitely do-able, especially if you only drink on the weekends... I'm not a professional, but I'd totally be willing to help support you if you'll help support me, because I need to quit too if I'm gonna come in below my calorie/fat intakes. The worst is the social aspect... you can do it though! Quitting cold turkey might not even be necessary, just moderation :)

Awesome, I can totally use the support. I used to drink a lot more than I do now, but because I work third shift, I can't necessarily drink during the week and get away with it. it mostly just makes me too sleepy to work. And there's that whole going to work drunk thing that's frowned upon lol. I'll add you and we can keep each other in line. Make sure you log them. That's the only reason I even say all this is because I log them and then I'm mortified by how bad they actually are. Of course I knew drinking wasn't good for me, but it's just plain awful nutrition-wise and I hate throwing away 5 days of hard work for one or two crazy nights.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of calories in wine when I went out so when I started MFP I went cold turkey for a month for calorie control reasons. This was easier because I had no social engagements except dinner out with my husband and we had a pact that he wouldn't order for me or pour. After that month I started adding one glass with dinner out and then two. It seemed that I had better contol over mindless consumption and enjoyed the drinks I had. Of course now and again there is a blow-out on a big evening but its not a habit anymore so the calories are not excessive. It really does get easier...

I'm glad someone has approached it this way. I was planning to have a "sober month" because I had a wayyy over the top last weekend to celebrate halloween and the pain of my hangover is still fresh enough to make me try going without for a month. I definitely think after that, I'll let myself still have some if I go out or hang out with friends, but I just want to mostly prove to myself that I can do it.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I cut down the amount of alcohol I drank and/or drank lower calorie drinks. Having said that there were a few weekends when I went out to special events where I didn't, but I tried to mitigate it by doing exercise which really helped. I found that as I lost more weight, I was motivated not to drink so much as I didn't want to undo the good work I'd done. Another thing I did was to be the designated driver when we went out, that meant I couldn't drink, or was limited to a very small amount so tended not to bother.

I still lost my weight, just a bit slower than I might have done if I had given up alcohol. My friend gave it up for 2 months and she lost a hell of a lot, but she was also doing Boot Camp. So it's hard to tell if just giving up would have helped as much.

The DD thing is a great idea. My boyfriend always volunteers to drive because he's not much of a drinker so I think that was encouraging me to have as many as I wanted. I'm going to try for a month and see where that gets me. I have a lot to loose still and it's coming off with me drinking, but not all that fast. I'm just starting more intense exercising too, so that kinda goes with what your friend did. Hopefully I'll have similar results!
  • missmacsays
    Options

im a pretty big exerciser , i love to run, so i can loose weight fast if i want to go in that direction.

Ah, well then you're one of the lucky ones :] My weight loss has always been a struggle, so I'm thinking I need to eliminate more of the bad to see more of the good results.
  • nphect
    Options

Ah, well then you're one of the lucky ones :] My weight loss has always been a struggle, so I'm thinking I need to eliminate more of the bad to see more of the good results.

well beer is only 100 calories a beer. are you drinking a six pack a day?
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My Husband drinks between 24 and 36 beers every week of his life. That guy seems to drop a pound a week just by cutting back on food a little. I hate him. I'd have to preform circus tricks to lose a pound and I never ever drink. Did I say I hate him?
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was a huge wine drinker before I started. I simply decided to quit week days, and drink only on Friday/Saturday nights - as long as I stayed within my calorie limit. If you want to drink more, simply exercise more that day to give yourself more calories to play with. It's worked for me so far :drinker:
  • missmacsays
    Options

I only drink on weekends anymore. I'm off all day Friday, so I've gotten into a bit of a routine of drinking all day on Fridays. I guess I'd call my average 5-6 shots of whiskey and probably 5-6 of the large draft beers? If that sounds ridiculous, this began at 1-2 in the afternoon and carried on until 10-11 that night.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    My Husband drinks between 24 and 36 beers every week of his life. That guy seems to drop a pound a week just by cutting back on food a little. I hate him. I'd have to preform circus tricks to lose a pound and I never ever drink. Did I say I hate him?

Ugh, can I hate him too?! Lol. I know a lot of people that are like that and I really can't complain because I've lost 13ish lbs (pending weigh in today) over the last 2 months and that's with my weekend binging. But I'd like to lose more of course!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I was a huge wine drinker before I started. I simply decided to quit week days, and drink only on Friday/Saturday nights - as long as I stayed within my calorie limit. If you want to drink more, simply exercise more that day to give yourself more calories to play with. It's worked for me so far :drinker:

That's pretty much what I've been doing too. I'm just thinking if I didn't drink those calories at all, I wonder what my loss would be like. I'm thinking a month of soberness and then I'll re-evaluate myself from there.
  • nphect
    Options

I only drink on weekends anymore. I'm off all day Friday, so I've gotten into a bit of a routine of drinking all day on Fridays. I guess I'd call my average 5-6 shots of whiskey and probably 5-6 of the large draft beers? If that sounds ridiculous, this began at 1-2 in the afternoon and carried on until 10-11 that night.

exercise a lot the next day then and you'll be fine. If you can't exercise the next day cause your hungover, you might want to rethink how hard your pushing your exercise routine, or cut back on some of the beers.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Ugh, can I hate him too?! Lol. I know a lot of people that are like that and I really can't complain because I've lost 13ish lbs (pending weigh in today) over the last 2 months and that's with my weekend binging. But I'd like to lose more of course!
    Haha.. feel free to hate him with me. Beer drinking, weight losing freak of nature he is... lol

And good luck with the weigh in.
  • MercurialScribes
    Options
    I logged what I drank tonight, and was absolutely MORTIFIED by how much that added to my intake for the day... I went WAY over... on my first day! Thanks for adding me... we can definitely be a support... I'll need it with the friends I keep, LOL! We can do it!!!
  • missmacsays
    Options

exercise a lot the next day then and you'll be fine. If you can't exercise the next day cause your hungover, you might want to rethink how hard your pushing your exercise routine, or cut back on some of the beers.

Or exercise more that day? A lot of it too is the fact that I had bronchitis and didn't exercise for two weeks because my lungs were in pain. I just started up the exercise thing again this week, so here's hoping that helps!