Suggestions for DETOXING

Options

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I find some of the people on these boards quite ridiculous. They clearly know what a detox means. I dont understand how people who once where something that they might not be today become so snobby about everything. All humility goes out the window and people want to act like they are nutritionists, dieticians, physicians and personal trainers.

It's what happens when people ask about baseless fads and/or woowoo bollocks. See the raspberry ketones thread for further observation. Or anywhere on the internet that references homeopathy. I don't agree with being rude, condescending or smug for the sake of it, but sometimes a stupid question needs a stupid answer.

I don't think it's a stupid question or I wouldn't have asked it. Why say anything? Why not be an adult and not say anything if you have nothing positive to contribute to the thread?

I was responding directly to the post I quoted. I have nothing at all positive to contribute to the general topic of the thread, which is why I haven't done so, I was merely explaining why it got the responses it did. If someone is doing something or asking about something I disagree with then I tend not to pass opinion or comment unless they're putting themselves in danger (ie asking advice on how best to go without eating for a week). I'm sure whatever your planning on doing isn't going to be overtly harmful so I won't be passing direct comment.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    ShockTop??

HA! that's my boy.
  • lucindasun
    Options
    Lots of water and whole, unprocessed foods!

Absolutely, in fact there's a 7 day soup diet online that can kick start clean eating. Not to be confused with the cabbage soup diet. This one is vegetable soup, all you can eat, with different foods being introduced daily, lots of veg fruits then protein,,,I didnt find it that tough and you can eat soup til it's coming out your eyes. My favorite was beef and tomato day,,,,I cooked a roast in tomatoes and ate til my hearts content, I lost 10 lbs that week. It won't stay off if you go right back to eating processed foods but it can start you on clean eating for sure.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I find some of the people on these boards quite ridiculous. They clearly know what a detox means. I dont understand how people who once where something that they might not be today become so snobby about everything. All humility goes out the window and people want to act like they are nutritionists, dieticians, physicians and personal trainers. Get it together folks! If you want to offer people advice, do it in a humble way. Remeber that what works for you, does not work for everyone so if the subject matter does not pertain to you or how you achieved your success then why even respond or share snobby input? Sometimes its better to just google things because one would THINK that coming here for sound advice from actual people is best but clearly its not.

Thank you. I am not going to post anymore threads. I feel like I am being attacked and being talked down to for asking a question on a site that is suppose to help with weight loss and the journey ther. It's sad that people have to be so rude and immature.

No one is attacking you. There is no need for a detox ever. They actually reek havoc on the system. They rid the body of good flora. Just because you didn't get the answer you wanted doesn't mean it wasn't helpful.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Let your liver do it for you.
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I find some of the people on these boards quite ridiculous. They clearly know what a detox means. I dont understand how people who once where something that they might not be today become so snobby about everything. All humility goes out the window and people want to act like they are nutritionists, dieticians, physicians and personal trainers. Get it together folks! If you want to offer people advice, do it in a humble way. Remeber that what works for you, does not work for everyone so if the subject matter does not pertain to you or how you achieved your success then why even respond or share snobby input? Sometimes its better to just google things because one would THINK that coming here for sound advice from actual people is best but clearly its not.

Thank you. I am not going to post anymore threads. I feel like I am being attacked and being talked down to for asking a question on a site that is suppose to help with weight loss and the journey ther. It's sad that people have to be so rude and immature.

Exactly! Dont listen to the nonsense. People just want to act better than everyone else on here. If they would just not respond to threads that they cant relate to then the world would be a better place but they always want to attack and put their irrelevant input! Detoxing is not a fad unless of course you are trying to do it for long term weight loss. My actual nutritionist recomends a natural juice detox along with whole and unprocessed foods. But of course their will be people on here who are against everything!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Getting rid of, ya know, the stuff.
    [/quote]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :heart:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This is the type of help I am asking for! :smile: Not rude people asking me if I'm on drugs or have body problems.

Ask a silly question, get a silly answer. If you want to permanently clean up your diet, say so. If you think that you can do something for a few days/weeks to "undo" months/years of eating junk, the medically and scientifically correct answer is, you can't.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I need some help. I am planning on detoxing and I could really use some ideas to help me do this. Thank you! :flowerforyou:

I would encourage you to check out "Catherine's Cabbage Soup Diet" (which is more of a cleanse) OR the T-Lite diet (also a sort of cleanse). I've done the Cabbage Soup Diet twice and saw great results both times --- i definitely felt "cleaner" afterwards and even lost weight. I've not tried the T-lite cleanse yet, but plan to do so soon.

Best of luck to you!
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't like the answer does not mean that people are being mean to you.

Perhaps they are trying to help you avoid the cost of a useless "process" or product.

Perhaps the fact that you ask about detoxifying your body without any other information leads people to misinterpret your question.

Telling someone to speak with a medical professional about how their body works is not being condescending, it is being the most helpful possible on a public forum where no one knows all the info about you and your situation.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I need some help. I am planning on detoxing and I could really use some ideas to help me do this. Thank you! :flowerforyou:

I would encourage you to check out "Catherine's Cabbage Soup Diet" (which is more of a cleanse) OR the T-Lite diet (also a sort of cleanse). I've done the Cabbage Soup Diet twice and saw great results both times --- i definitely felt "cleaner" afterwards and even lost weight. I've not tried the T-lite cleanse yet, but plan to do so soon.

Best of luck to you!

You just posted about how you gained the weight back both times you've done it. You call that great results?
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't like the answer does not mean that people are being mean to you.

Perhaps they are trying to help you avoid the cost of a useless "process" or product.

Perhaps the fact that you ask about detoxifying your body without any other information leads people to misinterpret your question.

Telling someone to speak with a medical professional about how their body works is not being condescending, it is being the most helpful possible on a public forum where no one knows all the info about you and your situation.

Agreed.

OP, maybe you could try eating whole, unprocessed foods (fruits and veggies, unfarmed fish, sprouted grain breads, etc.) and drink just water and unsweetened green tea for a week. That way you are eating "clean" and not spending your money on products that claim to "detox" you. I have done detoxes before (not for weight loss, though), and the only one that ever made me feel fabulous was the first one I did. I did the same one two more times within a three year span and it made me feel weak and nauseated the other two times. Having researched the topic quite a bit since then, our bodies are quite good at detoxing themselves without the aid of supplements. I hope you can see this as my attempt at offering you friendly, helpful advice and not criticism or an attack. Best of luck. :smile:
  • nicola_mcg
    Options
    Your body does do it all for you, but it can't hurt to give those organs a rest from detoxing can it?

Warm water with lemon in the morning and before bed is good for your liver.

Fibre, fibre, fibre. Let your digestive system carry the toxins out. If your not regular the toxins in your gut will find a way through your liver, kidneys and your skin.

Water. drink more and give your kidneys a helping hand.

Bath salts will draw moisture out of your skin, which some might imagine is drawing toxins out.

You can't beat working up a good sweat in the gym though, speeds up your digestive system, makes you drink more water, puts the food you eat to good use..

If your not over eating or overloading your system, then detoxing is a bit pointless.

I wouldn't always trust doctors anyway, the research they've learnt from is corrupted. Read 'bad science'. Also see 'Horizon Eat, Fast and Live Longer'

Good luck
  • couponaddic
    Options
    I loved Fat, Sick and Nearly dead. It is really making me want to try rebooting.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

Your post is funny!
    So we're all sposed to magikally know which detox she be talking bout?

Alcohol detoxification, Drug detoxification, Metabolic detoxification, and the all too fun Alternative medicine detoxification.
  • Trudyr777
    Trudyr777 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I find that when I feel like that, I drink LOTS of water and have a long hard session at the gym. Sometimes doing cardio with layers on to get the sweat going. Once I have sweat it out, I feel great. But DONT weigh yourself after this, there is a lot of water loss and you'll get a false reading. (Trust me on this one).

Good luck!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Here is a 7-day FOOD based detox. No starving yourself, no liquid only. Its a good way to jump start healthy eating.

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/dietarytherapy/a/Detox_Diet_Plan.htm
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible couple of weeks of eating and no exercise. I feel bloated and gross. I was a asking for help on some type of cleanse. I don't have a drug/alcohol problem! Thanks

I get like this sometimes when I have fast food, etc. I know you may have heard celebrities talk about how they juice for a few days, but that isn't necessary. I do think that making yourself a green drink will help with any bloating, etc. I mix a cup of spinach, 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, celery and a green apple in the blender. Slowly stream in a 100% juice until you get the texture you like. Voila! This will "clean you out" and give you tons of energy. And then just get back in your normal routine. If you still feel, blah, do the drink and replace a meal with a big salad.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ^^ Now this isn't help at all but thank you!

Goes back to my original question, what do you mean by detoxing?

Getting rid of, ya know, the stuff.

What "stuff"?

Apparently I failed to communicate my sarcasm

We need a sarcasm font! :happy:
  • SmartSysta
    SmartSysta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're willing to do since there are so many options, but here are some suggestions:

1. Dieter's Tea: This will clean your colon, but you only should use it for a 10 day period max.
    2. Fruit only: This will clean your entire system, but you have to stick to fruits only for a max. of 3-5 days. I used to use mines, so I could ingest more.
    3. Fasting: There are all kinds, water only, juice, fruit, etc. The water fast is very extreme, and you would need to go two weeks on just water before your body will begin purging.
    4. Colon cleanse: You can opt to take senna pills or tea, or you can get a colon cleanse (hydrotherapy) from a professional. They usually range anywhere from $30-$60.

I hope these suggestions help you on your journey. - SmartSysta