eating after a work out..when?

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Unless you are an elite level professional athlete, it doesn't matter. Do whatever works best for you.

This, meal timing is pretty much irrelevant as long as you get enough protein during a few hours leading up to exercise or within 24 hours after

The only time I would suggest any different if you are glycogen depleted, then you want to get carbs into.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Immediately

If it's early AM, 5g creatine, 10g leucine, 20g whey isolate, 30g whey hydrolosate, 30g PWO blend (whey hydro, casein hydro, whey iso).

If it's in the evening, 5g creatine, 10g leucine, 30/30 as above, frozen yogurt with hot fudge and Ressee cups.

No glutamine brah?

There's glutamine in the protein, never thought much of taking it as a stand alone.

When training hard, Glutamine very good to recover - I take 5g of it in the morning before meal, in protein shake after workout (within 45 min) and before bed.

To OP, having a shake withing 15-1h of working out is great for recovery and feeding muscle... If that's not your goal, then whenever works for you. I use this guideline for when I run and lifting weights... If you wait until your hungry, you've already starved your body and lost the best window of opportunity to feed your body fast with great nutrients :)
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Unless you are an elite level professional athlete, it doesn't matter. Do whatever works best for you.

Definitely
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    When I get home. No formula. No specific timing. I'm too old to be concerned about getting ripped.
    As far as what? Whatever my wife has cooked that day for dinner.
    I used to eat dinner sometimes before going to the Y for swim ans weights. But I noticed that my endurance seems higher if I wait until after workout even if it has been 5+ hours since lunch.
    I have considered recovery drinks but never followed through. But anything that can reduce the muscle pain when I over do it would be a good thing. :)
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    lol glutamine. i threw mine in the trash. i find food and sleep to be a good source of recovery.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    I suggest eating when you get hungry
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    within 30 minutes for max benefits, within 60 minutes MAX! :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake straight after my workout, helps with the soreness.
  • erickirb
    Options

Please provide sources for said timing, I'd like to look into this.
  • FullOfWin
    Options

Just grab any muscle mag or other suppliment advert!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

or?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Uhh.. did you not see where she said "MAX!"? Isn't that enough?
  • erickirb
    Options

Uhh.. did you not see where she said "MAX!"? Isn't that enough?

Sorry I missed the !
  • Fitmiss07
    Options
    I find it important to get in some nutrition to refuel your muscles after a workout to maximize your results. I've heard you should eat no later than 2 hours after a workout, but I like to do it within 30 mins, as I feel that has given me the best results,
    Here's a great article that tells you more about what you should eat before and after your workouts according to whether you are doing cardio or strength training
    http://www.shawncanblog.com/2012/05/what-you-should-eat-before-and-after.html
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    MTR and GLUT activation. If you don't know what these are, read about them. Then decide if nutrient timing is still irrelevant.
  • erickirb
    Options
    MTR and GLUT activation. If you don't know what these are, read about them. Then decide if nutrient timing is still irrelevant.

people keep pushing what may help 0.1% as what should be done, if you goal it to be a pro bodybuilder timing matters a little, for the general active population it will not make a lick of a difference in fat loss, muscle gain, recover time etc.
  • FullOfWin
    Options

Or go look up how longer after eating nutrients from the meal are still being released into the blood. I.E. If you eat a meal 1 hr before working out, guess what is still happening after the workout is over.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Or go look up how longer after eating nutrients from the meal are still being released into the blood. I.E. If you eat a meal 1 hr before working out, guess what is still happening after the workout is over.

You're on the opposite side of the relationship. MTR and GLUT activation are not about nutrient availability, they're about the cell's receptiveness to nutrients.
  • FullOfWin
    Options

You're on the opposite side of the relationship. MTR and GLUT activation are not about nutrient availability, they're about the cell's receptiveness to nutrients.

Right but the nutrients from my pre workout eating are already available meaning I don't need to get more nutrients in my gut within 10 seconds of my last rep. I eat all day long, so the nutrients are always flowing through my body. Usually by the time I work out, I have already consumed 140g+ protein that day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Can you show me studies where long term application of post workout protein (where protein intake is adequate to begin with) results in a significant difference in net LBM gains?