Who gets candy?

Options
SeaChele77
SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
So this is a legitimate question and wanting thoughts/opinioins....

Tomorrow is Halloween and my neighborhood is the "go-to" neighborhood for all kids within a 15 mile stretch. They block off the main road and everything.

So last year I noticed later in the night there were kids - like HS (13+yo) kids walking around not dressed up saying "Trick or Treat" w/ their huge overstuffed pillow case full of candy.

So my questions are:
*Is there an age in which "trick or treating" should stop?

*If no, should a kid be dressed up to participate and recieve candy?

*If yes, would you deny candy to those who came up to you "too old" and not dressed?

Replies

• drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Everyone should get candy. It's one of the unwritten corollaries of the universe. It doesn't matter how old you are, what you wear, and what your pleasure is--be it Good n Plenty or Mars Bars. You have a right to the sweet stuff.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    IMO anyone older than 12 shouldn't be trick or treating...I may be in the minority there though..
  • redhotgtomama1
    Options
    I don't think there is really an "AGE" to stop trick or treating its really up to the individual.. I was in college and still enjoyed going trick or treating with my nieces and nephews.. and if I have to walk with them why not join them.. hahaha... However I do feel that you should dress up if you are going to "trick or treat" after all isn't that the reason people are willing to give out candy.... and yes I would deny candy to anyone not dressed up.. however there is a risk when you do that.. that the older kids may come back and have a little fun with your home... now we had that happen once and it was a pain to clean the eggs up off the house and stuff but luckily we didn't have any major damage and our vehicles are always parked in the garage so they didn't get egged... but ... my husband the next year did things to scare the crud out of the big kids.. Like the smoke machine.... creepy lights.. and well the chain saw or table saw with no blade... we figure if you still knock on the door after all that.. you deserve candy dressed up or not.. hahaha..
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I would never deny candy to anybody that comes to my door, dressed up or not.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I personally think they are too old to be trick-or-treating but I'd give them candy anyway. Why not?
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    *If yes, would you deny candy to those who came up to you "too old" and not dressed?

Do you want your house egged?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    13 or 14 is about the oldest that should be out. i've seen that before with a gaggle of girls right around that age. 14+ year old boys out on Halloween are only out looking for trouble.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I do not allow my children to ToT after age 12. However, I won't refuse candy to the teenagers who come to our door.
  • LowFatMama
    LowFatMama Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Bothers me too! I always see older kids out with either no costume or regular clothes & a little face paint and a grocery bag. It bugs the crap out of me! Ya, fine if your still a kid at heart and love Halloween, great. Then either wear a real costume or attempt to make one one your own... but otherwise I say NO CANDY FOR YOU! no, but nicely sorry, your not dressed up...nice try :laugh:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'd give everyone candy but be sure to tease those older kids not in costume. "Oh, are you a lazy teenager? Great costume."
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I'm hardcore about Halloween.

I don't care what age you are, as long as you're dressed up. You have to earn your candy, because I give out the good stuff (we're talking full size bars here, people). You can be 35, and as long as you're in costume, you get candy. However, no costume, no candy, unless if it's kids under the age of 10. I always give candy to the chitlins.

Edit: For the record, I went trick or treating til I was 17. But I had killer costumes. And yes, I'm totally mature.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just reach your hand in their bag, take a treat and say thank you.
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I never deny it either. But I live up a big hill and in all the years of living there he have not had one trick or treater. But had they come I would be handing it out and not letting them grab from a bucket. That way i can give more to the kids and less to the older ones. In fact have two buckets. one full of candy (kids) and the other bucket with fruit (older kids). In just a few Halloweens you will have weened off the older kids from your house. Except me Ill be streaking 8, 9 and 10:15. And that ain't no trick.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I'd give everyone candy but be sure to tease those older kids not in costume. "Oh, are you a lazy teenager? Great costume."

Great answer....yes make fun of the lazy ones. I'm going too.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    No soup for you.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I want candy
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Usually in our neighborhood when kids reach 7th grade (12 yrs old) apx they no longer go around. I wouldn't turn anyone away that came to the door. I don't hand out candy. I buy stuff from oriental trading and hand that out instead. (stickers, tattoos, small toys)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It's Halloween! Everyone gets candy!! Even Mama.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I personally think they are too old to be trick-or-treating but I'd give them candy anyway. Why not?

Why not is that it can be expensive. We go through 7 of the 5lb bags in about an hour and last year had to recycle our kids candy (they had way too much and we were out. :/ )
    There are houses in our neighborhood with 5 gallon trash cans full of candy - that are near empty by nights end.

I do not deny (no I don't want my house TP'd or egged) but it does irk me that the big kids come around in no costume, big pillow case begging for candy - Free for all!!

I love Halloween and get dressed up. There are some houses that offer "adult beverages" to the adults in costume. :) But to not participate kind of bugs me. :/