WTF is a thigh gap?

Options

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    why anyone else cares what others want for their own body amazes me. Who cares? If its not for you, its not for you. If others want it, let them have at it and worry with getting your own body the way YOU want it.

So if I'm a healthy weight, young girl (who the majority of "thigh gap desirous" people tend to be) and I decide to eat 500 calories a week to aim for that... then that's ok? There is a highhighHIGH association between "thigh gap" and "pro-ana/mia" communities and ED behaviors.

Or, on the flip side, is it healthy for me to dislike my own body and desperately want a super thin, hipless figure if I HAVE wideset hips and that's never going to change? Body acceptance is different than body "desire"--thigh gap has EVERYTHING to do with the set of your hips and much less to do with your weight.

Um, not sure why you would want to attack me. I merely stated to let people do what people want to do. In no way, shape or form was I promoting anorexia or anything else. That was QUITE the assumption. And WHERE pray tell did I EVER say one WORD about weight?!? I said worry not about others bodies and worry about your own. But, thanks for trying to put words in my mouth....

On a more positive note, one HEALTHY way to get a thigh gap is to lose body fat.

I just read this 5 times and didn't see an attack on you.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    why anyone else cares what others want for their own body amazes me. Who cares? If its not for you, its not for you. If others want it, let them have at it and worry with getting your own body the way YOU want it.

So if I'm a healthy weight, young girl (who the majority of "thigh gap desirous" people tend to be) and I decide to eat 500 calories a week to aim for that... then that's ok? There is a highhighHIGH association between "thigh gap" and "pro-ana/mia" communities and ED behaviors.

Or, on the flip side, is it healthy for me to dislike my own body and desperately want a super thin, hipless figure if I HAVE wideset hips and that's never going to change? Body acceptance is different than body "desire"--thigh gap has EVERYTHING to do with the set of your hips and much less to do with your weight.

Um, not sure why you would want to attack me. I merely stated to let people do what people want to do. In no way, shape or form was I promoting anorexia or anything else. That was QUITE the assumption. And WHERE pray tell did I EVER say one WORD about weight?!? I said worry not about others bodies and worry about your own. But, thanks for trying to put words in my mouth....

On a more positive note, one HEALTHY way to get a thigh gap is to lose body fat.

excuse me, accusing me of being and/or promoting pro-ana, because people should worry about their own bodies. My bad. Maybe its not, but it seemed the same to me.

ETA: hey, at least I didn't call her a bully, lol.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

excuse me, accusing me of being and/or promoting pro-ana, because people should worry about their own bodies. My bad. Maybe its not, but it seemed the same to me.

Glad someone defended me before I had a chance to. I'm not sure how you made the jump from "thigh gaps have a huge association with people struggling with EDs and/or promoting EDs" to me accusing you of promoting those things...?

I distinctly responded to you, because the concept of "People should worry about their own bodies" is exactly why the delusion of thigh gap being the end all, be all of thinness and beauty for some men and women is, well, dangerous. Yeah, people shouldn't worry about what others think of them, or judge other people... but if people are worrying about their own bodies using a body ideal that doesn't match their own... how is that a good thing?
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    bump bump bumpidy bump
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    bump bump bumpidy bump

Nice *kitten*.
    Options

Glad someone defended me before I had a chance to. I'm not sure how you made the jump from "thigh gaps have a huge association with people struggling with EDs and/or promoting EDs" to me accusing you of promoting those things...?

I distinctly responded to you, because the concept of "People should worry about their own bodies" is exactly why the delusion of thigh gap being the end all, be all of thinness and beauty for some men and women is, well, dangerous. Yeah, people shouldn't worry about what others think of them, or judge other people... but if people are worrying about their own bodies using a body ideal that doesn't match their own... how is that a good thing?

There was no need for anyone to defend anyone.

From your statement "There is a highhighHIGH association between "thigh gap" and "pro-ana/mia" communities and ED behaviors."

It appeared you were associating my let's all worry with our own bodies and not so much with others and what they want for themselves. Nowhere did I say it was ok, I just said worry about your own body.

and you said "-thigh gap has EVERYTHING to do with the set of your hips and much less to do with your weight."

Again, I not once mentioned anyone's weight. I did try to counter with a positive note that loss of body fat could help create a thigh gap....
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason, a lot of women want to look like 12 year old girls whos thighs dont touch when they walk. I dont get it. Id rather have thicker thighs than chicken legs. I dont think they realize that its how your built, not necessarily how skinny you are....

woah there...someone is mad.

oh and this is the greatest site ever: http://thechive.com/category/mind-the-gap/
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Suddenly everyone seems to be talking about thigh gaps--what are they talking about? It just sounds weird. Like, a tooth gap in your thighs?
    you made me laugh so hard!:laugh:

Yeah , you got it right:)
  • firstsip
    Options

From your statement "There is a highhighHIGH association between "thigh gap" and "pro-ana/mia" communities and ED behaviors."

It appeared you were associating my let's all worry with our own bodies and not so much with others and what they want for themselves. Nowhere did I say it was ok, I just said worry about your own body.

and you said "-thigh gap has EVERYTHING to do with the set of your hips and much less to do with your weight."

Again, I not once mentioned anyone's weight. I did try to counter with a positive note that loss of body fat could help create a thigh gap....

Lol, yes, I appreciate that other person defending me by pointing out I wasn't attacking you, because I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around how you thought my comments were an attack. You jumped to an assumption that was way off base.

And yes, you pointed out "worry about your own body," and I pointed out that, well, that's kind of the core issue with people wanting a thigh gap and taking unhealthy measures to try and get it? They're worrying about their bodies?

So, in short: it "appeared" to *you* that I was linking your comments with promoting anorexia. In my actual text, in every post I've written, I didn't do that. It does not matter if you mentioned weight or not--I was directly responding to the concept of "let everyone worry about their own bodies" that people wanting certain "looks" ARE worrying about their own bodies, and the "thigh gap" in particular is often an unhealthy goal for many people.

I mean, yeah, lowering body fat can help achieve more of a "thigh gap"... and some people won't even in the healthy range because of how much it's determined on the set of hips.

I think we have a big failure to communicate here.
    Options

Lol, yes, I appreciate that other person defending me by pointing out I wasn't attacking you, because I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around how you thought my comments were an attack. You jumped to an assumption that was way off base.

And yes, you pointed out "worry about your own body," and I pointed out that, well, that's kind of the core issue with people wanting a thigh gap and taking unhealthy measures to try and get it? They're worrying about their bodies?

So, in short: it "appeared" to *you* that I was linking your comments with promoting anorexia. In my actual text, in every post I've written, I didn't do that. It does not matter if you mentioned weight or not--I was directly responding to the concept of "let everyone worry about their own bodies" that people wanting certain "looks" ARE worrying about their own bodies, and the "thigh gap" in particular is often an unhealthy goal for many people.

I mean, yeah, lowering body fat can help achieve more of a "thigh gap"... and some people won't even in the healthy range because of how much it's determined on the set of hips.

ok, I'll agree, *attack* was not the right word, but I am not the only one who made an assumption here. My original response was actually supposed to be a positive message, but got taken WAY out of context. I will agree there was a huge failure to communicate and comprehend what the other was trying to say going on here.
  • nikkinoonarr
    Options
    Someone once told me "if a woman's legs don't touch at the top then that woman cannot be trusted"

Guess now that it has happened to me and I have a thigh gap I cannot trust myself! Ah well back to my wicked ways then I suppose.
  • firstsip
    Options

ok, I'll agree, *attack* was not the right word, but I am not the only one who made an assumption here. My original response was actually supposed to be a positive message, but got taken WAY out of context. I will agree there was a huge failure to communicate and comprehend what the other was trying to say going on here.

Nope.

Your big mistake here is that you seem to keep thinking I'm "debating" with you or taking anything you said out of context. I knew what you said; I understood what you said. I said something different in response.

Ex: You said something "positive." I said, "Okay, but that mindset can also be used for a., b., etc."

Apparently you are missing this crucial distinction here between "attack/assumption/fight" and "response" or "different point."
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    it's a new term. i think it's that gap between the upper thighs just below the crotch that fit women have when they stand with their legs next to each other. i never heard of it until The Chive started doing weekly photo galleries of it.

The Chive is the best, most hilarious website out there. Was a consistent follower until the dreaded internet police showed up in my cube....
    Options

Nope.

Your big mistake here is that you seem to keep thinking I'm "debating" with you or taking anything you said out of context. I knew what you said; I understood what you said. I said something different in response.

Ex: You said something "positive." I said, "Okay, but that mindset can also be used for a., b., etc."

Apparently you are missing this crucial distinction here between "attack/assumption/fight" and "response" or "different point."

who said anyone was still debating? I said I agreed with you and your defender that *ACCUSED* was the wrong word. I also said I agreed there was a failure to communicate and comprehend what the other was saying.....
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    just stop it!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Thigh gap= weird lookin.
    It's like having a hole where there shouldnt be one..

but,thats just me.

hey! i have a thigh gap, lol
    i discovered it one day sitting outside and i tried to put my phone in my lap and it fell right thru, lol.
    it all has to do with bone structure apparently.
    im 142lbs, 5'7, theres probly taller and lighter girls that still dont have one tho.
    it has not much to do with how small you are and more to do with ur natural build.
    unless youre nothing but bones, then yes, youd prob have one too. lol

I think my thighs were built for a thigh gap.. but, I'm not exactly focusing on my thighs.. I'm 5ft?
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    When you're skinny enough, your inner thighs don't touch anymore.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Yet another fad that the media said we should aim for! There was a thread about a month ago, a girl had researched it and found only a small percentage of women can actually 'develop' a thigh gap.

I'm aiming for a healthy body, not a media approved one!
    Options
    just stop it!

LOVE your avatar! Clever and cute!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    That's IT? Just that the thighs don't touch when a person stands with their feet together? I can't believe that's what all the fuss is about. Seems like there are a lot of physical results from getting fit; I don't see why that one is so desirable.

Personally I find it desirable for purely logistical reasons...I want my thighs not to feel like they're going to start a fire when I run. I'm getting there...slowly.