Am I the one MFPer who doesn't LOVE working out?

Options

Replies

• shaleasymphony
    shaleasymphony Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i hate it too...but i'm just lazy haha
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have my days where I don't feel like going, but I push myself anyways. ANd sometimes I just don't go and workout harder the next day. Think we all go through this.
  • HealthyMe46
    HealthyMe46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not especially fond of trying to fit it in -- but I'm worth it. So are you!
  • PrettyGirlPayton
    PrettyGirlPayton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't really go to the gym. I should to switch it up. I think that,jogging,exercise tapes,and eating healthy works. But yeah I don't love it yet. lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I hated going to the gym so much I bought my own weight set for home. I still have to give myself an extra push to exercise sometimes, but it's much easier without dreading a commute.
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i hate it too...but i'm just lazy haha

Ditto lol
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When I was 285, I didn't like being active at all. When I started working out, I had to force myself. And I HATED lifting weights. But after it became habit, I started feeling really grumpy when I didn't. I love being active and I've found things I enjoy doing, like cycling, paddleboarding, running and hiking, and oddly, I even started to love lifting. I especially like it when I'm stressed. I injured my back once and couldn't lift for several weeks. About the time I started feeling better, I was out of state to take a test, alone in a hotel room, stressing over the test and found myself feeling like I just needed to lift something. I remember laying on the bed, looking at the dresser, going, "I wonder if I could press that."
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Depends on what day you ask me...however I'm addicted to running. :laugh: ...on cold, dark mornings, I don't want to get up at 0 dark thirty to do it though...I'd rather wait for daylight.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    that's the difference between "working out" and "training". Set some performance goals short and long term. Work out what you need to do daily/weekly etc to do them. This "should" help with motivation to go to the gym and achieve. However, if you're just going and doing something boring that you don't actually enjoy (i.e. treadmill) then I'd suggest choosing an alternate exercise that you do enjoy. Exercise doesn't only have to be done in the gym :smile:

Have to agree, at least for me. I have been running, swimming and biking with the goal of completing a triathlon in spring. I just finished my first half marathon which I did enjoy tremendously on many levels. I occasionally enjoy my workouts when I finish feeling like I kicked *kitten* and I know I did because I time and measure everything for comparison. Most of the time though it is like going to work but I do it because I can see what it is doing for me and I know it is getting me ready to reach my goals.
  • dannigirl1
    Options
    I hate working out. i hate sweating and i hate not being able to breath or the pain it sometimes causes, but like you i love the results. although i have free access to 5 gyms all on my schools campus i dont go because i dont like people seeing me workout so i do workout videos in my room and fast walk/slow run around the campus which amounts to a 5K
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I work out at home and was doing exercise videos. I LOATHED doing them. So I found something I do like doing, and like others have said, attached goals to my exercise. I'm now doing NROL4W and C25K. I run outside, and get so excited when I make it further faster. And love days when I lift more weight than I thought I could. Find something you love, and work hard at getting better at it. :)
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Don't like the anticipation, not super fond of the time doing my workout either but I *do* like being done. These days I use a recumbent bike because my knee is bone on bone. Back when I could do it on my treadmill I really enjoyed working out. You do what you gotta. <shrug>
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot and still don't like it.

I 'got used to' various gym classes and it helped when I got to know people in there.

Don't enjoy running in any form still - road, off-road or treadmill.
    Have got used to road cycling, but enjoy off-road.

Definitely like the results and that it means I can eat more :).
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I hate it. I hate every second of it. I just know that I hate being fat more.

I agree.. I definitely don't want to go back to the way I used to look and I want to move forward in my weight loss and look the very best that I can, so I work out.. but I hate it! Haha.. once I get a little more stable in where I live and get a little extra money, I'm going to focus on doing more active things that I love rather than just running on a treadmill and lifting weights.. I'll probably love it a lot more than. What do y'all outdoorsie types like to do in the wintertime besides ski?
  • slshaw23
    slshaw23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't like going to the gym I rather workout at home and do I look forward to them some days I do some days I don't
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't love it.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I hated going to the gym at first, I hated running even more. I found as I was able to do more I enjoyed it more. I started running because it was measurable and I found if I worked at it I could run faster longer. I like feeling good. I have not felt this good in many years. That inspires me to do more. I enjoy the gym.

If you don't like the gym find something you do like. Depending on where you live there are many options for activities, swimming, biking, racket ball, tennis, dance, kickboxing, climbing. The trick is to find something you enjoy and do it.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I prefer being active, cycling and hiking but I got results from going to the gym as well as doing home workouts like Insanity. I wouldn't want to do the same thing over and over again for too long though, I get bored quite easily, maybe switch it up with something else?

Thanks guys!! Yeah I would definitely prefer a more active lifestyle than going to the gym, just need to find some active buddies to enjoy it with me :) Also thinking about taking a jazz or hip hop dance class. That would be fun! I've been going to the gym for a few months now, just hate it.. lol Even with my awesome music!!!

Definitely try dance classes. I hate the gym, but I look forward to dance classes. I also like that it's something you can really work at getting better at. as opposed to something like the elliptical where it's always more of the same. That is, while my stamina and speed has gotten better on the elliptical, it's really just the same thing done faster and for a longer time. With dancing, mastering one move means that more open up and I can have even more fun with it.

As others have said, the key is to find something you enjoy. Or force yourself to do something you hate by keeping the end result in mind. But I think the first option is preferable.
  • mastone99
    mastone99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise. Period.

I will go walking if someone goes with me. I have started to go to a dance class a couple of times a week. If I could maintain/lose weight without the exercise, I would probably never do it. :-/
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I find the gym to be really boring, but I like the way it makes me feel after so I just suffer through it.