Replies

• teejay2039
    Options
    Weight training. No impact. At all.

^^^ THIS
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Biking (no, it really is low impact) and swimming. My best workouts are from swimming.
  • Shanleyloffer
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I just tried the Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds workout. It was good but I don't feel like I got the calorie burn as I did from 30DS. Biking, swimming and weight training are all further options.

Again, thanks I appreciate all the quick responses!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    My knees are also bone on bone. So far, the elliptical, biking, and spin class have been great for my knees. Biking and spin class help build up the muscles around the knees which helps strengthens them.

Pilates is also gentle on the knees and good for building strength.:smile:
  • LNRoss
    LNRoss Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    DDP Yoga
  • PatrickCoyle
    PatrickCoyle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Get some patella knee straps
    Take glucosamine twice a day
    Use the elliptical and walk on the treadmill and steady pace and high incline
    Man up and get through it, once you get fitter the knee pain will leave unless you have an underlying problem

I went through the exact same problems but it will get better
  • Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For those of you whose knees are bone on bone, have you tried hyaluronic acid injections (i.e. Synvisc, Hyalgan)? My knees have no cartilage left, but with periodic injections I can still ski and hike. I'm too young for knee replacements.
  • nymami
    nymami Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i have found that i can do any workout i like, i just modify anything that would injure my knee any further (i wear a knee brace).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cycling is the best for me. No shock/impact on the joints. Great for quad strength which helps stabilise your knees. Wearing clip-in cycling shoes helps keep ankles, knees and hips in line to avoid any twisting.
    Spinning cycles are very good but the standing elements are tough on the knees so beware!
    Elliptical machines also good.

Use the stairs as much as possible in your daily routine to keep leg muscles strong.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    For those of you whose knees are bone on bone, have you tried hyaluronic acid injections (i.e. Synvisc, Hyalgan)? My knees have no cartilage left, but with periodic injections I can still ski and hike. I'm too young for knee replacements.

Synvisc was tried, no effect. Steroid injections were tried, the first did some good, the second had no discernible effect. For me the current treatment is an unloader knee brace while my orthopedic surgeon gets the okay from the insurance company to do the next step, which is a partial knee replacement. Only the medial side of my knee is bone on bone, the lateral side still has cartilage. I'm 45, younger than most who have knee replacement surgery but I want a better quality of life back. The doctor agrees.
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes I notice when I do the workouts with Jullian Michael's my knees hurt to so I will the next day do a workout using Leslie Sansone walk at home programs they are great.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I just tried the Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds workout. It was good but I don't feel like I got the calorie burn as I did from 30DS. Biking, swimming and weight training are all further options.

Again, thanks I appreciate all the quick responses!

Get the Leslie Sansone 5 Mile fat Burner DVD. the miles are only 12 minutes, so you're going at 5mph. I burn over 600 cals doing the whole DVD (I wear a heart rate monitor so I know what I'm burning)