What Book Are You Reading?

Options
beep
beep Posts: 1,242 Member
I've had so little time to read lately, and I've completed so many series, I need a new series to read. The last books I read were London and another book by Rutherford, and I want to get my hands on Sarum (historical fiction about Britain).

Forgot about the books I just read to my daughter, just finished reading the Chronicles of Narnia to my 9-yr old. She LOVED them. I read them years ago to the older kids. They are like old friends now.

Replies

• beep
    Options
    I've had so little time to read lately, and I've completed so many series, I need a new series to read. The last books I read were London and another book by Rutherford, and I want to get my hands on Sarum (historical fiction about Britain).

Forgot about the books I just read to my daughter, just finished reading the Chronicles of Narnia to my 9-yr old. She LOVED them. I read them years ago to the older kids. They are like old friends now.
  • chelle1717
    chelle1717 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You would probably like Steve Berry's fiction series. I don't know if the series has a name, but I believe there are 6 books, and the first is called The Amber Room. It has sort of Da Vinci Code feel to it, though maybe not quite as much action. The books are inspired by actual events and facts, but the stories surrounding those events/facts are fictional. Pretty interesting!

Also, if you haven't already read the best series of all time, go for Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. They may take you a bit to get into (first book is The Gunslinger) but I promise you they're worth it! I've read them twice!
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm reading My Soul to Keep - the third in a series by Melanie Wells. The first two are When the Day of Evil Comes and Soul Hunter. If you're interested in suspense, I highly recommend these books.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro, author of "The Remains of the Day." I just started it.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    'A Storm of Swords' by George R.R. Martin. (If you like Fantasy, you HAVE TO READ THIS SERIES (A game of Thrones is the first in the series, DO IT!!!)

'God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?' By John Lennox, a book which desects popular sciences attempts to disprove God with equally disprovable theories (Not specifically evolution, though Intelligent Design is a big part of it). It's a pretty awesome book, and not overly technical.
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you would like a historic, romantic, action adventure, epic series to completely fall in love with...I have one for you! The books are by Diana Gabaldon, and, although I don't know if the actual series has a name, the first book is called "Outlander". Enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    Hmm Im a book addict and actually have 2 on the go right now , one in the house one in the car :blushing: House book is a Nora Roberts one , forget the title will have to go look, Think it might be Homeport , and older one. And a John Saul book in the car think the title for it is Unwanted
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED TWILIGHT BY STEPHENIE MEYERS. It is coming to the theatre on 12-12-08 and I already told my husband that he is taking me!!! There are three books total out right now and her the fourth is to be released in august ( I have already pre-ordered it). I have yet to be disappointed. They are all soooooo good. I read them all within a two week period and the first one Twilight in just one day. I could not put them down. Seriously give them a try, I don't think you will be disappointed!!! HH:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    His Family by Ernest Poole (The first winner of the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1918)

I am trying to read all the winners of the Pulitzer Prize...I have read others within the group but wanted to read the first one. Some of them are easier reads than others! hahaha
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Tuesdays with Morrie

by Mitch Albom
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    A trashy romance novel with a half naked man on the cover....
    Title: does it really matter?! lol.
  • beep
    Options
    Wonderful ideas! I have to admit, I do not like gore, or anything dealing with horror or sex; but I love suspense, science fiction (stargate is my fav show); historical fiction if it's not in the romance genre. I read all of Clive Cusslers books (Sahara, Atlantis Found, etc) :sad: and the new ones aren't as good now that he has a ghost writer (or not so much of a ghost anymore since his name is on the books.)

My mother loved the Amber Room, should probably read that.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Giving :heart: :heart:
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    'A Storm of Swords' by George R.R. Martin. (If you like Fantasy, you HAVE TO READ THIS SERIES (A game of Thrones is the first in the series, DO IT!!!)

'God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?' By John Lennox, a book which desects popular sciences attempts to disprove God with equally disprovable theories (Not specifically evolution, though Intelligent Design is a big part of it). It's a pretty awesome book, and not overly technical.

Since when does popular science attempt to disprove God, ever?

Science doesn't exist to disprove God; science exists to explain what man knows (and thus explore wha the does not know).
  • beep
    Options
    Is "Giving" a book? I've read all of Chaim Potok's books too (it's so sad when I've read all a great author's books.)
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just finished The Five People You Meet in Heaven and have started Book of the Dead (Cornwall)
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson. A murder mystery set around Puget Sound, at the time of World War II, and has some history of the interning of the Japanese people in it.

My question is How many of you use your local library to find books you want to read? And how many rather buy a book? I live rather rurally, so when I go into town I hit the library and if there is a book I really want to read I ask for an inter-library loan. I guess now you can download books too can't you. I have never tried that. Has anyone done it? If so how is it ? What kind of software do you need also. But I can' t imagine giving up my books for an online version of one.
  • beep
    Options

Since when does popular science attempt to disprove God, ever?

Science doesn't exist to disprove God; science exists to explain what man knows (and thus explore wha the does not know).

I think what he means is when some scientists go too far in their stance on non-provable theory versus empirical science. I may be wrong....
  • beep
    Options
    I am currently reading Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson. A murder mystery set around Puget Sound, at the time of World War II, and has some history of the interning of the Japanese people in it.

My question is How many of you use your local library to find books you want to read? And how many rather buy a book? I live rather rurally, so when I go into town I hit the library and if there is a book I really want to read I ask for an inter-library loan. I guess now you can download books too can't you. I have never tried that. Has anyone done it? If so how is it ? What kind of software do you need also. But I can' t imagine giving up my books for an online version of one.

We have a large library of classics and military history. But if it's not a classic, I usually don't buy it, but get it from the library. I usually don't enjoy reading books more than once, unless it is really really well written and full of nuances I may not get on the first reading.
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    Is "Giving" a book? I've read all of Chaim Potok's books too (it's so sad when I've read all a great author's books.)

Well it's bound and was at Barnes and Nobles and has an ISBN number :P

He he he.

not a novel but i don't read many novels.

Oh wait -- I have cat's cradle in the bathroom for my nightly baths. :P