150 Calorie per PINT ice cream....

Options

Replies

• annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1) Arctic Zero is NOT ice cream. Even the manufacturers acknowledge that, calling a "frozen dessert," never ice cream.

2) Arctic Zero is NOT 150 calories per pint. Independent tests have shown that their labels lie and, unfortunately, in the US this kind of lying is legal.

Excerpt from the NBC report:

"Believe it or not, it's completely legal. Under FDA regulations, packaged foods, even diet foods like these, can be as much as 20 percent off on their labels — the FDA says "to account for variation in portions."

"They know they can get away with it, because the FDA allows up to 20 percent wiggle room, so you know they push the envelope a little bit," Joy Bauer explained. "There's variation. It's upsetting, but it's legal."

But the biggest gut-buster of all: the new summertime craze, Arctic Zero ice cream. It promises 150 calories for the whole pint: Sounds great. But in our test, the results were less than appetizing. Our sample of Arctic Zero Vanilla Maple had a whopping 46 percent more calories than the label. The Chocolate Peanut Butter: an incredible 68 percent more calories.

Arctic Zero told us its calorie counts are accurate. So we asked to see their test results — and we're still waiting. "Shame on this company," Joy Bauer said. "People, they are eating the whole pint in one sitting. You eat that every single day, listen, at the end of the week you have to walk an extra nine miles just to burn off those calories."

The industry's trade group told us: When most companies come up with their labels, they test a dozen samples and take the average — they say, to ensure accuracy. So how widespread is this problem, the numbers being off? Experts say it's hard to know. The FDA doesn't have the manpower to test most foods — so companies are on the honor system."

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48596412/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/t/rossen-reports-can-you-believe-diet-frozen-dessert-labels/#.UJEKhWl259k
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    God damn I loved that stuff when I was in the States!!!!!
    PB Chocolate is by far the best one.

Careful though, if you eat that entire pint in one sitting, the fibre will getcha :laugh:
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    1) Arctic Zero is NOT ice cream. Even the manufacturers acknowledge that, calling a "frozen dessert," never ice cream.

2) Arctic Zero is NOT 150 calories per pint. Independent tests have shown that their labels lie and, unfortunately, in the US this kind of lying is legal.

bummer!

not that i'd be able to get in here in South africa anyway :(
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Love this stuff. Love the mint chocolate cookie. They did extra testing after Today, and were redeemed apparently. :-)
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The today show did a story on arctic zero. The calories were off by almost HALF! 150 calories a pint is a blatant lie!

From the artic zero website - - http://www.myarcticzero.com/labresults.php
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This makes a lot of sense and has been my suspicion for a long time. Calories on label are total BS. That's good to know.

Excerpt from the NBC report:

"Believe it or not, it's completely legal. Under FDA regulations, packaged foods, even diet foods like these, can be as much as 20 percent off on their labels — the FDA says "to account for variation in portions."

"They know they can get away with it, because the FDA allows up to 20 percent wiggle room, so you know they push the envelope a little bit," Joy Bauer explained. "There's variation. It's upsetting, but it's legal."

But the biggest gut-buster of all: the new summertime craze, Arctic Zero ice cream. It promises 150 calories for the whole pint: Sounds great. But in our test, the results were less than appetizing. Our sample of Arctic Zero Vanilla Maple had a whopping 46 percent more calories than the label. The Chocolate Peanut Butter: an incredible 68 percent more calories.

Arctic Zero told us its calorie counts are accurate. So we asked to see their test results — and we're still waiting. "Shame on this company," Joy Bauer said. "People, they are eating the whole pint in one sitting. You eat that every single day, listen, at the end of the week you have to walk an extra nine miles just to burn off those calories."

The industry's trade group told us: When most companies come up with their labels, they test a dozen samples and take the average — they say, to ensure accuracy. So how widespread is this problem, the numbers being off? Experts say it's hard to know. The FDA doesn't have the manpower to test most foods — so companies are on the honor system."

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48596412/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/t/rossen-reports-can-you-believe-diet-frozen-dessert-labels/#.UJEKhWl259k
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    not in the UK and never ever likely to be, either.
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree, I would rather have the real thing
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Actually I'm really a fan of this stuff! It took me 4 days to get through a pint and I had the vanilla maple flavor - of course, I just love anything maple/vanilla/caramel/hazelnut flavored so when I discovered this at my local Earth Fare, I was overjoyed. :) Even if it isn't accurate in calorie count.... I'm still waiting for regular ice cream to have as delicious a flavor as Vanilla Maple. *shrug*
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I havebeen touting this one for a whiel - it tastes AMAZNIG, and yes it was proven that it was not 150 calls, but it was only slightly more. I was a fan for quite some time - still am..

BUT....

The one thing is that it is really bad is to make it 150 cals its full of chemicals and everytime i ate it my stomach woudl blow up like a balloon!! I am quite sensistive to artificial sweeteners though..

Also, its made with chicory root - which can, er, cause a laxitive effect, so i dont actuaally suggest eating the whole pint!!!
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

This^^^^ If it seems too good to be true . . .
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've never had or even heard of Arctic Zero, and I live in the U.S. At home, we buy either Skinny Cow,Weight Watchers, TCBY Frozen yogurt, or Carb Smart, depending on carb or calorie counting. Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers have numerous flavors of ice cream and treats for 150 cal or less. We do keep regular Blue Bell Sherbert on hand because its only 120 cal for 1/2 cup.( made a watermelon smoothie with watermelon,ice and mixed berry sherbert...Awesome!! and like 300 cal for the whole blender picture.) Regular Ice cream would be fine if you can limit yourself to a serving.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Chicory root gives me incredible tummy upset, combined with inaccurate labeling AND the fact that I've seen so many posts claiming that it's just awful :(

I think I'll take my chances with a better quality Ice Cream, and just eat less :)
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    So it's ice cream without any real amount of cream or sugar? How very unappealing.
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    If you are going to sit down and house a pint of anything, you should know you wil have to do some hard work to get rid of it. Thats common sense.

I still think, personally, that it is better then a pint of B&J. And im not someone who can putdown a whole pint in one sitting, anymore.

Should you eat a whole pint this at once? Nope. If you are deciding to eat a whole pint, is it a BAD choice to pick this ice cream? I dont personally think so. And if youdo pick it, to eat on a cheat day, the whole thing, shouldyou do it everyday? NO. and that goes for ALL 'ice cream' and 'frozen desserts'.

I like this product, personally, and i thought id share. I would like to consider it to be about 220 cals per pint now, in light of seeing this stuff about it being higher. but i still think thats a pretty good deal. per pint. especially if im not sitting down to eat the whole pint.

I hope some one finds it and likes it, while still considering the possibility of having to adjust the calorie count. And i hope that if you find it abhorrent, that you wont go near it.

Can we all agree to disagree? Have our own opinions? Its just ice cream. And even with all these arguments considered, its still better than B&J, and most other frozen dairy gum based partially gelatinated whatevers..... in moderation. thats the key to this whole thing. dont eat the whole pint in one sitting, and dont eat it everyday, and accept that it is not 'ice cream' technically, but it also has a short list f ingredients, all of which are entirely pronouncable.

water
    whey protein,
    organic cane sugar
    chicory root
    dutch cocoa
    natural flavors
    sea salt
    and monk fruit concentrate.
    guar and xanathan gums as binders fro creaminess, bc there is... no milk.

also no MSG or HVP.

fat free
    lactose free
    gluten free
    14 grams of protein per serving.

I dont know guys... this looks like a good deal to me... possible caloric discrepancy considered....
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    I havebeen touting this one for a whiel - it tastes AMAZNIG, and yes it was proven that it was not 150 calls, but it was only slightly more. I was a fan for quite some time - still am..

BUT....

The one thing is that it is really bad is to make it 150 cals its full of chemicals and everytime i ate it my stomach woudl blow up like a balloon!! I am quite sensistive to artificial sweeteners though..

Also, its made with chicory root - which can, er, cause a laxitive effect, so i dont actuaally suggest eating the whole pint!!!

except there are no chemicals, or artificial sweeteners... i actually just posted the ingredients, from the pint i just took from the freezer, to write out the ingredients.... i can link a pic if you like. but no chemicals, besides 2 gum binding agents, which are in all ice creams, or non dairy/lactose friendly things.... and the sugar is organic cane sugar.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

Careful though, if you eat that entire pint in one sitting, the fibre will getcha :laugh:

sorbitol? No fibre in ice cream!

I agree though the pb choc is tasty even though the cals are underreported. Seriously, 150-300cals, IDGAF for a pint :laugh:
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP pals put it best-If it's calling your name,change your name and don't tell that b*tch what it is !lol
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

I agree though the pb choc is tasty even though the cals are underreported. Seriously, 150-300cals, IDGAF for a pint :laugh:

Chicory is Fiber. It's one Fiber One uses for their Fiber source, and gives gastrointestinal distress to many.

There IS fiber in this ;(
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

Chicory is Fiber. It's one Fiber One uses for their Fiber source, and gives gastrointestinal distress to many.

There IS fiber in this ;(

Learn something new everyday :smile:

BRB now eating icecream instead of bran cereal for fibre needs :tongue: