Running, what motivates you?!

Options
I ran XC in high school as well as a ton of other sports growing up but I'm extremely disappointed in my lack of physical activity since then. I love burst training/exercises but let's be realistic here, NOTHING beats good ol' fashioned cardio! What motivates you to get going and run?

Replies

• stepmark
    stepmark Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Definately reviewing the Success Stories daily! I dislike running but the success of others really help get me out there and run 4 - 5 days a week and watch my cal. in-take. :)
  • littlemsmetal
    Options
    That's amazing!
  • stepmark
    Options
    It takes me all morning to get me motivated and 'syc'd up to be able to go run over my lunch hour....I hated running so much in high school that I did shotput in track...Don't get me wrong, I was an athlete (football/basketball)...just not fond of the running... YET! I know someday I'll get there!
  • bbmkt11
    bbmkt11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Train for a race. I hate running too, but I've decided to do a 4.1 mile run on Thanksgiving morning. Knowing you are going to do it in the race situation will get you motivated to train. Good luck:)
  • stepmark
    Options
    Good for you bbmkt11!! This is my second week of being able to run 4miles over my lunch hour and to do it 4 -5 times a week. Way to go!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with running this year after pushing myself and finally conquering something I never thought I could do. Thats my motivation bc every run is another challenge and every race gives me another goal to pass. Plus it's my "me" time and such a stress relief for everything.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Definitely training for a race! I have a half in a week and a half that will probably kill me (it's been a rough past month running-wise) but I can't wait.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    to lose weight and weight control. when i stop running, i gain. when i start running and restrict my calories, i lose.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Getting out of the house by myself for a little bit where no one has any demands on me :)
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Runner's high, that is what keeps me motivated. I don't always get it but when i do it's the best feeling in the world.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    These facebook pages for me... you should all "like" them if you have facebook. Imagine having wonderful inspiration and motivation coming up in your daily newsfeed..? And sometimes the timing is just too perfect :)

https://www.facebook.com/getyourfitnessinspiration

https://www.facebook.com/being.fit.is.a.way.of.life
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Pizza motivates me. Running 30-60 minutes is a small price to pay to be able to eat pretty much whatever I want.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    The police chasing me.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Training for a race and seeing if I can meet or beat my goals.

Plus I love how I feel afterward - sweaty, tired, happy! :drinker: And by then I've burned off enough calories that I can have a glass of wine or two with my dinner!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Mine is a Race to train for.

Iv got nothing on the horizon at them moment and finging if difficult to get the drive to go! This post has promted me to find a race to train for and get into the groove!

• SalubriousGyrl
    SalubriousGyrl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great question. I know that running for me can become rather boring by myself and i have to motivate myself to get going. help me understand this one as well.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I only run for twenty-thirty minutes to heat up my body before taking a plunge in the sea, so it is a means to an end and the motivation is I don't feel the cold of entering the sea quite so much of I am overheating.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I hated running, but decided to try C25K, once I completed that program I was hooked. The day a experienced a true runners high, I was addicted. Now it is a competition with myself. I can't run at the moment, healthy issues, but as soon as I am released there is no stopping me.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I have races to run and medals to earn.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I have races to run and medals to earn.

And Zombies. Don't forget the zombies.