Advice on helping my 11 year old lose weight

Options
My son is 11 years old and weighs 225lbs. He is 5'7. Both myself and my husband have had weight issues our whole life as well as medical problems caused by obesity. I don't want my son to grow up like we have. But I also dont want to hurt his self esteem and self image of himself like my family brutally tore mine up my entire life. Can anyone recommend a way to talk to him and do it in a way that's not going to be mean. I have tried before as well as my husband and it just doesnt seem to stick. We have tried talking to his pediatrician, who recommended a nutritionist, who told us basically. Yes hes fat, cut out the junk food, get him involved in sports, stop enabling him. We have done that and he will stick with it for a week then give up and say he cant do it. We have started and stopped diets for the last year but he just doesn't think there is anything wrong with being a big kid. He gets straight A's is basically a wonderful, social child but I am so worried about what kids will do and say to him in middle and high school. I grew up with bulling constantly over my weight in high school and learned to fight my way out of the humiliation to where no one said anything out loud to me again. I had very few friends because of it and turned into a unsocial loner. I don't want this for him. Anyone that can offer advice on how to talk to him without his self esteem getting funked up in the process?

Replies

• truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    question? do you make home cooked meals or processed foods? If you were to do home cooked meals you could alter the cals on those meals. Also does he have any other medical issues, does you or your husband have any medical issues ie thyroid, PCOS, IBS etc? If so switching to gluten free can help with a lot of things and will actually lower cal count too. As far as talking with him, I'm not sure how to approach it other than head on.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    He is 11. Of course he says he can't stick to it! But he's obese and besides bullying, this is a medical concern. Have you talked to the dietitian about foods he would like that are balanced-his favorite vegetables and fruits, maybe make homemade granola bars at home with him, or go on long family walks/bike rides?
  • Deathofafatgirl
    Options
    I only do homemade food now, very little processed food and although I monitor what he easts at home he sneaks and will eat crap at friends houses or places I cant control as much. I had type2 diabetes and high blood pressure and have just recently gotten off all medications. My husband is still on both. We have a history of obesity, diabetes, HBP, and heart disease that runs through both of our families. I did get the info from our nutritionalist and have stuck to it at home as best as our budget will allow. We have tried getting him to walk, play a sport or get off his butt and move around and like I said before he will do great for a week then stop. Both my husband and I work 40+ hours a week and have switch shifts so its difficult for us to keep at it with him as well.
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Control the home environment as much as you can; you said you're providing healthy food at home, which is so important. Maybe chuck the TV and video games, if he has access to them. He will probably drive you up the wall for about three weeks, but just keep encouraging him to go outside and entertain himself. I bet he'll find something active to do.

I'm dealing with a similar problem, so I understand that you want to encourage him to help himself, but I don't know if there's a way to do that without crushing him. I guess it just depends on how sensitive he is.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You say you have started and stopped diets for the lasat year....I would suggest that you're looking at it the wrong way.

It's not about being on a diet, it's about eating good, healthy tasty and homemade food.....and plenty of it! You don't need to feel deprived or live on lettuce, you just need to make different choices.

Start by looking at what you buy and what you eat and start to make small changes, if you have large dinner plates, change them for plates which are slightly smaller, we eat with our eyes too and a full plate is much more satisfying than a half empty one.
    No one food in itself is bad necessarily, it's how much and how often.

Exercise can be incorporated into everyday family life without it seeming like a big deal, going out and doing things together in the fresh air where you're moving about will all help.

Take it one step at a time and you will be suprised at the difference these small changes can make. You have to take responsibilty and be consistent in what you do. :smile:
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Maybe, sign him up for a school or community sport and don't let him quit? Tough love? I wish I could help more :/
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    He is 11. Of course he says he can't stick to it! But he's obese and besides bullying, this is a medical concern. Have you talked to the dietitian about foods he would like that are balanced-his favorite vegetables and fruits, maybe make homemade granola bars at home with him, or go on long family walks/bike rides?

I agree with this. Kids have a hard time seeing the "big picture" and sticking to something that seems difficult or impossible. Your job as mom is to not let him give up.

I agree with the nutritionist - get him active, swap junk for healthy food, and you'll see results. Don't make it about a "diet" - but make it about your entire family being healthy. Keep fruit and veggies for snacks. Air popped popcorn, nuts, jerky, and yogurt. Make homemade, lower calorie dinners and give him his portion - don't let him serve himself. Go for family walks or play basketball in the park. Get a Wii and play active games together a few times a week.

Lead the way and he will follow. I can guarantee this - my 4 year old loves to show off how she "exercises" by doing pushups for everyone she meets. She likes to eat fruit because it's "healthy." She goes for short runs with me. She does all this because I am doing it and I've made it fun for our family to be active. And I never even said the word diet. She's always been a healthy weight (luckily) but I'm just helping ensure that it stays that way.
  • truddy6647
    Options
    I only do homemade food now, very little processed food and although I monitor what he easts at home he sneaks and will eat crap at friends houses or places I cant control as much. I had type2 diabetes and high blood pressure and have just recently gotten off all medications. My husband is still on both. We have a history of obesity, diabetes, HBP, and heart disease that runs through both of our families. I did get the info from our nutritionalist and have stuck to it at home as best as our budget will allow. We have tried getting him to walk, play a sport or get off his butt and move around and like I said before he will do great for a week then stop. Both my husband and I work 40+ hours a week and have switch shifts so its difficult for us to keep at it with him as well.

I can relate with the budget thing. Times are tight for most of us.

what about taking him out to do things that are fun but also exercise.... roller skating/blading......wii fit challanges....or wii dance off (if you have a wii).... basically finding something that gets him moving that he likes too. And you are right it is hard to control what he has when he goes to someone else home.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    At 11 it is going to be hard as hella to change a child's habits without some serious dedication. He is now used to the 'old way' and won't want to change - he will fight you tooth and nail but YOU are the parent and that weight is not healthy at his height at any age! Now..he's 11, so he hasn't hit his growth spurt yet, there's still hope he will lean out a little but this will not save him if his habits aren't under control by then.. I'm sure I'm going to get it for this but..

If he is buying junk food then stop giving him money.
    If he is eating junk food at home then stop buying it.
    If he sneaks it somewhere else then do not allow him to go there.
    If he has a medical condition that is causing the weight gain then he needs medical help.

You can't force him to do anything but you need to stop enabling the behavior.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Enroll him in after school sports!!! Football, wrestling, SOCCER, or something he chooses! He has got to play sports as well as eat right to lose the weight.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    At 11 he has no job or independent source of income does he? You buy the food, you control the food. He can't eat what's not there. Buy no junk food, period. No pop/soda. Make as much of your meals as possible from scratch. For snacks, let him have as many fresh veggies and fruit that he wants. I guarantee you, he is not going to overeat apples and carrots and cucumber slices. Air-popped popcorn is another good snack, as are nuts. Don't even call it a diet, just this is what is for breakfast, lunch, etc.

He will likely still find a way to eat junk at school i.e trading with other kids, but even still there is only so much over-eating he can do at school. If you change the way your entire household eats, he will slim down before you know it.
  • DeniseBarone
    DeniseBarone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Everyone is giving you good advice. Our pediatrician recommended that we participate in a program through Children's Hospital to educate my son on making healthy food choices and getting exercise. If your son got involved in a good group like Boy Scouts, he will be camping out a lot and doing all kinds of things that will help to keep him active, while you're working to provide him with healthy meals at home.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Make him better food choices at home, and to take to school for lunch. Sign him up for after school sports.

He's eleven, he doesn't need "tips" from you on how to lose weight, you are almost entirely in control of his health. These aren't his choices, they're yours.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Buy bikes all go on bike rides make it fun for him ban him of video games until a certain time x
  • SammyAlbon
    SammyAlbon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I think if you can control, as much as possible, what's in the cupboards at home etc. then you'll see results. I was big growing up, and I knew it was a problem. I did well in school and had loads of mates, but that's not the point. The point was being overweight as a teen was terrible - you shouldn't have to worry about the things I worried about - who was looking, what they were thinking, etc. It wasn't that extreme, but you get the gist.

I know what I needed at that age was someone to FORCE me to do it. I knew I needed to do it, but I was too embarrassed and self-conscious to say it - stupid, I know. You care for him and don't want him to be big, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to either. If you eat your meals together, and all stick to a program, I know I would have appreciated that! Maybe try cutting the carbs? Or cutting the calories? (At 11 we all like a chocolate bar of a bag of crisps, so carbs might not be the answer)

Ban him from the PC/Xbox on certain days, don't give him money to spend on food - I'm just saying things that would have helped me. If you do it together and stick with it, he'll accept it as normal and have no other choice, but LET him cheat, I think that's important. He's 11, so you can't expect him to stick with it!

Good luck :)
  • leiloob
    leiloob Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sign him up for wrestling....Lots of conditioning. I also NEVER keep pop in the house for my 4 kids.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If you make home cooked meals that's a step in the right direction. Other than that the best advice I have to offer is tough love. He eats what you feed him, or he doesn't eat. Not to sound mean at all, I hate hearing about kids who are bullied because and have low self esteem issues because of their weight.

He's a smart kid, so explain how healthy eating and an active life will improve his life. That you want whats best for him, and that's why you're doing this. Good luck!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    There is no good way to talk to him. My Mom had a "talk" with me when I was 16 about my weight. I'm still resentful about that talk. Lately- I've seen a woman in the gym with her (pre-teen) daughter, and I thought "She doesn't want a fat daughter". But- she's right there with this girl- exercising, coaching, doing it, too- which I believe is the best way possible to handle it.
    You want your son to be active? Go for a walk and take him with you. (Don't ask- tell him.) Don't just sign him up for things and let him drop out. SHOW him by example how to be healthy. Do it with him, it will be good for the both of you!
  • truddy6647
    Options
    If you make home cooked meals that's a step in the right direction. Other than that the best advice I have to offer is tough love. He eats what you feed him, or he doesn't eat. Not to sound mean at all, I hate hearing about kids who are bullied because and have low self esteem issues because of their weight.

He's a smart kid, so explain how healthy eating and an active life will improve his life. That you want whats best for him, and that's why you're doing this. Good luck!

this is what it was in my household, you ate what you were given or went hungry
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Make him better food choices at home, and to take to school for lunch. Sign him up for after school sports.

He's eleven, he doesn't need "tips" from you on how to lose weight, you are almost entirely in control of his health. These aren't his choices, they're yours.

Exactly!

And im sad that i'm much shorter than your 11 year old D: heh