Advice on helping my 11 year old lose weight

Options

Replies

• amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    More is caught than taught...why should he stick to it when u and your husband don't? Be the change u want to see. Also u buy the groceries u control what he eats..make him workout with u and your husband make it a family affair;) Eat lean,green,whole grains and plenty of veggies drink nothing but water to start with the occasional diet coke..be too determined and make it happen for not just your son but for yourself and your husband;) We all Believe in U!!;)
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You say your son is a straight A student - letting him have an MFP account with only you on his friends list is fine - let him see the science behind food and calories etc - he's a smart kid - let him plan some of the meals keeping within your macros - and you have to eat them - I'm sure he'll come up with some interesting combinations - he can mix and match different foods / quantities and can see the relationships between them - he'll be able to enter things into the food diary and see how adjusting the portions changes the numbers

Challenge him to research a sport or activity that will get him and you moving - if cost is an issue - make finding a low/no cost activity part of the challenge - see if he can find the lowest cost activity that will burn the greatest number of calories for the least amount of time

Appeal to his intellect

and as everyone has said - you're the parent - your house - your rules - but you have to be consistent and lead by example - you cant say to him - no junk while holding a donut in one hand and a high cal, full of empty calorie drink in the other - if it's a family lifestyle choice not a diet - and keep in mind - he's 11 years old and already 5'7 - Im just guessing but he's probably going to shoot up a bit in the next year or so - even if he maintains his weight - 225lbs at 6'2 isnt the same as 225lbs at 5'7
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of time so can't read all the responses but here's my experience. My oldest DD(13) is overweight. Her dr. ran tests to make sure there was no underlying problems(because she gained a lot quickly...puberty maybe?) But anyway, once I started getting healthier things started changing for everyone. I don't have snacks(junk food) in the house on a regular basis. I mean sure we have snacks sometimes but I will go out and buy them when we have them(not sitting in the house)...I try and make healthier options or at least healthier alternatives to snacks (ie. applesauce instead of oil, egg white instead of egg in a cake). I quit making extra, so if we have cookies I make enough for everyone to have snack and no extras(even if it means wasting dough). I make much healthier meals, quit buying soda and when I go walking EVERYONE goes. They have a choice to walk or ride their bikes but they all have to go. When we started there were a lot of complaints but now...they love it. We went 7 miles the other day and no complaints from anyone but the over tired 22 month old(she was in the wagon). She has lost 12 pounds without her doing anything on her own by choice. That is from the healthier food and the walks. Once she lost about 10 pounds she got motivated and now makes her own choice to workout, or go for a bike ride, etc. I would not recommend any kind of diet at all. Just change the way the whole family eats. My husband and I decided it was not a choice. It's not about who is overweight and whose not, eating healthier benefits everyone's health regardless of weight. Being active is the same, not just for overweight, it benefits all. My kids love to play on the scale and I've noticed losses in all of them. My husband has lost about 10lbs just from our eating habits being changed(he's not home most of the time we go walking/riding).
    I did it this way...as a family, because I didn't want to hurt self-images or to make it seem like only fat people had to work on eating better and being more active. Everyone should strive to be healthier regardless of weight. At the same time I won't ban all junk food etc, because I want them to know it's okay to enjoy snacks, etc....just in moderation. If you are eating healthy most of the time then junk once in awhile is what it is supposed to be...a special treat.

Just my 2cents :)

PS...I too made my daughter a MFP acct(per her request), after meals her and I log her food and that is it. She doesn't access it by herself, doesn't even know the password. It is an eye opener and a great learning tool. She was amazed at some things she thought weren't too bad for you.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    At 11 he has no job or independent source of income does he? You buy the food, you control the food. He can't eat what's not there. Buy no junk food, period. No pop/soda. Make as much of your meals as possible from scratch. For snacks, let him have as many fresh veggies and fruit that he wants. I guarantee you, he is not going to overeat apples and carrots and cucumber slices. Air-popped popcorn is another good snack, as are nuts. Don't even call it a diet, just this is what is for breakfast, lunch, etc.

He will likely still find a way to eat junk at school i.e trading with other kids, but even still there is only so much over-eating he can do at school. If you change the way your entire household eats, he will slim down before you know it.

This^ Also, I dealt with this with my own son at age 12 actually. He isn't into sports, and ate crap with friends. I did sit him down and explained how even his coordination is affected and his health, so he was going to tell me what he wanted to do to get active. He decided on biking. My husband and I were opposite shifts, and I have 2 other kids... but before I went worked nights, the 3 kids and I would bike. We did 4 days a week until snow flew...then it was sledding on the hill... had to walk at an incline to get back up and do it again. I monitored portions more for when I had control and honestly, you would never know there was ever a weight problem with that kid before. He has underactive thyroid that is controlled with medicine and such, but there was more we could do and we did. He has no image-issues... we did it matter-of-factly when we talked, not accusatory. It wasn't "you are fat, you can't live like this"... it was "we are concerned for your health, so here's what we are doing". Now at almost 19 he has fabulous eating habits... lifts weights and stays active... HIS choice..and thanks us for it. YOU have to do it with him. I would tell my son "it's time for the bike ride and I am not leaving you home alone at your age, so get on your bike". He went, he was left with no choice. Do what you have to as a mom.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    You're right, MFP is not for kdis . . . . but don't you think some kind of calorie monitoring would be a good idea? He would be considered overweight if he was an adult. . . this is not jsut a few lbs to 'grow in to' we're talking about here.

No, 11 year olds shouldn't be counting calories. I honestly believe that's a fast track to an eating disorder or just replacing one unhealthy relationship with food with another.

Wouldn't it be better to just correct the basics and establish a better routine and relationship with food? Where the new normal is healthy food and treats are just that....a treat? Where physical activity is normal and an expected part of the day? Where food isn't stressful and the whole family spends more time together?

If those things happen, he would never need to count a calorie - he wouldn't end up where we all are today.

My son's pediatrician insisted that he count calories...he wasn't eating enough and he needed to be responsible for that...So I totally disagree that an 11 yo should be counting calories...you should make them FEEL BAD about themselves..but they do need to learn to be responsible for what they put in their bodies.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I only do homemade food now, very little processed food and although I monitor what he easts at home he sneaks and will eat crap at friends houses or places I cant control as much. I had type2 diabetes and high blood pressure and have just recently gotten off all medications. My husband is still on both. We have a history of obesity, diabetes, HBP, and heart disease that runs through both of our families. I did get the info from our nutritionalist and have stuck to it at home as best as our budget will allow. We have tried getting him to walk, play a sport or get off his butt and move around and like I said before he will do great for a week then stop. Both my husband and I work 40+ hours a week and have switch shifts so its difficult for us to keep at it with him as well.

I don't know if it would help, or if it's already been said, but if I were you, this is what I would do:

My son is 10 years old, somewhat lazy, but enjoys being outside and running around. He also has ADHD, so he has a lot of energy and also loves video games. He's never had a weight problem, but I don't doubt he could in the future with as much junk food as he tries to eat. If he was over weight, I would immediately become very strict about his routine with food / exercise.

For your son, I would say it's time to stop trying to be nice and get tough on him. Yes, it's hard and it's saddening to have to do that when you're worried about damaging his self-esteem, but it's not about appearance. You can make that perfectly clear to him. This is about his health, his life, his happiness. Don't let him watch TV anymore. Don't let him have video games either. Anything inside the house that would enable him to sit on his butt doing nothing, basically. You can give him this option instead - one hour of exercise / outside time in exchange for one hour of television / video game time. I think it's a simple, cut and dry solution to the problem. It's worth trying at least, and you could do the same with food. If he eats healthy the entire day, let him have one small treat at the end of it as long as he's had some exercise that day.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Increase your family activity level... Hikes, bike rides, yard work, and other activities to get him moving. Try cooking meals for your family and preparing healthy lunches. The junk foods they serve in cafeterias at schools across America are not going to do him any favors. Eat together as a family at breakfast and at dinner. Make sure that meals are nutritious and lower calorie to help lower his weight or at least give exercise a chance to burn off some pounds over time. If he has a TV in his room take it out... Get the family together and fight obesity as a caring unit rather than as individuals. Create kid friendly meals that are lower calorie options... Breakfast burritos (la tortilla factory makes very high fiber, lower carb tortillas, egg whites, lean ham or turkey bacon, pico de gallo salsa, and greek yogurt instead of sour cream)... Breakfast sandwiches using orowheat sandwich thins(Kirkland brand are even cheaper and identical)... Greek Yogurt and Fruit Smoothies or Protein Smoothies (use greek yogurt or protein mix and water together with your favorite fruits to make wholesome delicious smoothies... Bananas that are starting to get too brown get cut in half and frozen on a cookie sheet then transferred to ziploc bags. They are then used with frozen strawberries, mango, peaches, pineapple and other fruits in smoothies. We have a Vitamix blender so it can handle the frozen fruit and turns it into a nice smoothie or with less liquid sorbet for desserts. Lunches can be difficult but plan some snacks and wholesome sandwiches for the "little guy" and everyone else as well. Planning is the hard part, but once you have you will succeed. Kid favorites for dinners can be made lower cal by watching what you use as ingredients... Cauliflower crust for pizza (look up the recipe - it actually works), tacos - same idea as above for breakfast but use lean beef, chicken or shrimp and increase the number of vegetables, pastas - choose whole grain pasta and lighten up the sauce by making your own from scratch, burgers and fries - lean beef or turkey, sandwich thin instead of bun, and sweet potato fries... Some ideas to help make a plan and try it, then adjust as necessary... You plan to fail when you fail to plan. So just plan and adjust.
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    All the best to you in your quest to be healthy, and to help your son be healthy, also! We're all in this thing together!

This video was very enlightening to me, if you can spare the time to watch it all the way through, it's worth it. (It's a hard go when he gets pretty specific on metabolism, but it's worth it to watch all the way through.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Not sure if your son drinks any sugary drinks, but this video makes a great case for why we can't seem to shake obesity if we're downing sugary beverages...
  • MeMountainMom
    MeMountainMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help. Take him to the store have him pick some healthy snacks and place them on a fridge shelf that is his. Also let him choose between two items for dinner. I have two kids when I empower them its not so much of a struggle. Hope this helps:)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 11yo. You can lead by example and offer suggestions and assist your children but cannot MAKE them do anything at that age. Just be encouraging and make sure you are doing your part to be a good example!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    What about having him be more involved with planning? Like he gets to plan and help cook a meal or two a week and the rule is it needs to be a healthy balanced one? It could entail you researching recipes as a family, talking about what makes a meal healthy, talking about portions, etc.

Or maybe he has to pick and plan a family activity each day (or several tines a week) with parameters like everyone has to be moving and it has to last x amount of time and everyone has to participate. It could be a walk, a bike ride, soccer in the yard, Wii, basketball at the local school/park... Maybe by feeling in control and responsible and getting to order around the adults in his life a little, he'd be more inclined to want to participate.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Generally, with kids, the idea is to teach them to live in a healthy way. An 11 year old should not be severely restricted--in spite of being overweight your son has some important growing to do over the next few years and malnutrition now can have severe consequences later in life. Your goal should be for him to not gain any more weight for right now and see if his height will catch up. In the meantime, take him for bloodwork to see where he's at with blood lipids and sugar. Make sure he has an abundance of healthy choices--the more fresh foods the better. Also, help him find "his" sport. I'd suggest an individual kind of sport like martial arts, running, tennis--these won't carry with them a fear that he'll let his team down. Additionally, these are sports that he will be able to continue as an adult. If your doctor will refer you to a dietitian you should go! Many health insurance plans are waking up to the critical need to treat childhood obesity and are now covering services that will help. Good luck!
  • joconnor09
    Options
    You could try getting him involved in a team sport that will add some sort of accountability to his routine. Even if he wants to give up after a week he will have other people counting on him to stick it out. You could even start with a sport that doesn't require as much movement (like baseball) and work up to more active sports like swimming, soccer, tennis, etc. I think he really just needs to build up his confidence. He's probably feeling inadequate seeing other people do better than he is, or not seeing the results he wants right away. This is a great opportunity to teach him persistence and tenacity, not to mention get him in the habit of being active. You could try a family activity like bike riding, walking, sledding in the winter- just something that gives you family time. That way it's not always up to him to motivate himself. I know that when I started getting back into shape it was incredibly difficult to do on my own, but I went to the gym with mom a couple times, I got a personal trainer for a few sessions and after that I could motivate myself. But it's not easy adding exercise into your routine when you're not used to it. It can seem daunting and exhausting, and sitting on the couch seems much easier. But if you get him into a team sport he'll be able to make friends, be active without feeling like he's working out, and it will build his confidence. As far as nutrition, you'll never be able to control everything he eats, and constantly denying him treats will make him want to sneak them. I'm not saying load up on the sugar, but maybe every once in a while let him have something he wants in addition to the good food (and make sure the treats aren't a reward, but a treat. Don't make him think those foods are a prize for living well!) He's still growing, so I think getting him active will be the best thing. He's already very tall for his age, and he's going to shoot up like a sprout during puberty. He might even thin out if he doesn't gain anymore weight. I'd say keep up the home cooking and good nutrition, add in sports, and let puberty do its work.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    If you give your kid healthy clean food he will grow into his weight and naturally lose weight and just generally grow as he hits puberty...he needs to learn how to actually eat. Sugar and refined carbs are addictive. I've been here. Didn't weigh quite as much. Be careful how you talk because if you say the wrong thing you will make it worse.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am in sort of the sme place. My 11 year old daughter started packing on the pounds when we took her off of ADHD meds (weren't working anyway) and then moved 3 months later, 800 miles from home. She gained almost 50 lbs in a year. Given I gained 40 and my husband gained 60.

They way we solved it was to all get on board with good health as a family. Planning healthy meals, especially school lunches. Finding other things to do on special occasions besides eat. For example, today is halloween, so instead of coming home with a giant sack of goodies, I got her a little bit of her favorites and we are going to a movie. She does Zumba Wii with me and has even joined in on 30DS. On occasion I have had to be a real cheerleader in this. Keep her spirits up. Make it fun instead of a bummer. Weekends always include something extremely active for the 3 of us.

Anyway. 3 months she is down 15 lbs and looking great. She is happier and has much less of a drive to play games on her butt. But, truth be told it was all my change that changed her.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Make him do intensive chores like mowing the lawn, weedwhacking, blowing the leaves, cutting branches back on trees, vaccuming, etc. I bet if there is some sort of incentive like "for every x chore you do you get to watch x amount of tv or play x amount of video games". Teach him responsibility AND he'll get a good workout in as well. You might also want to find a sport he WANTS to play and is genuinely interested in. Not on he feels obligated to do for a week.

Best of luck!
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 11yo. You can lead by example and offer suggestions and assist your children but cannot MAKE them do anything at that age. Just be encouraging and make sure you are doing your part to be a good example!

no dis-respect inteded at all but I would have to disagree here. My children ages 22months-almost 14 can be made to do a lot of things. I am their mother, they respect that fact and listen to me. When we go walking, they didn't want to go at first, but they had no choice. They went because I told them they had to. They may have groaned and grunted but never once did they even utter the word "no". I hear the "you can't make them" thing a lot but i don't understand it. Being the mother I can make my kids do a lot, because well I'm their mother. In 14 years and 5 kids I have never had a child tell me no when I tell them to do something. They may not like it...but they do it. As far as eating healthy, I can make them do that too because I don't offer unhealthy alternatives. If I am providing their meals then they have no choice but to eat healthy. I provide 98% of their meals(they are homeschooled) so I don't have to worry about the other 2%(if they are at a friends, etc)...if they choose to eat junk there, it's okay because I know the majority of their food is healthy because I provide it.
  • juli_jones
    juli_jones Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump - hoping to not deal with this problem - my 7 year old has always been in the 90-100% for height and weight but last year he was over 100% and his pediatrician and said his BMI was too high. Since I have been doing MFP, I have been more watchful of what he is eating. He has gained 7 lbs and grown about 4 inches this year so I hope when we go for his 7 year check up things are better. He recently started meds for ADHD and plays 2 different sports so I am trying to keep his weight under control. I don't want him to be the "fat kid"
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Please don't talk to him. If you've been going on and off of diets as a family for a year, he's well aware that you think he's fat and want him to change and telling him yet again (no matter how nicely) can only further damage his self esteem.

My thoughts are that if the food in the house is all healthy, it seems unlikely that he's really doing THAT much damage at school/friends. Getting him to be active is key, and signing him up for a sport would would be ideal (depending on his temperament).

However! Please rely more on your pediatrician/nutritionist than the advice of those of us on here (including me). They are the experts and the ones who know your family and your son. Follow their advice.

I can tell that you're concerned about your son and just want for him to be healthy and happy, but please tread lightly. I don't think a heart-to-heart is really what he needs here.

Agreeing wholeheartedly with this post, as well as with the people who have suggested finding a physical activity that he enjoys and will choose for himself - you may need to think creatively - his preferred activity may or may not be a traditional team or individual sport or something you can do as a family, and may take some experimentation to find, which I know can be wearing/time-consuming. The key is that he has to enjoy it, or it will feel like a punishment, and you'll be dragging him, kicking, screaming and digging in his heels, behind you, which will be exhausting for both of you, as well as bad for your relationship. Don't forget that he's likely to have a fairly substantial growth-spurt in the next couple of years as well, so he will almost certainly slim down by default. You need to be in a good position to maintain those healthier proportions when they come, though, by starting some good habits now. You'll never be able to entirely control his eating outside your home, so focus on the things you can be proactive about.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    My mother believed in fresh air and exercise with no limits on food. Growing up we didn't have weight problems, but the eating habits caught up with us in adulthood. We played tennis, went swimming, hiking, camping, horseback riding, long walks, helped with gardening, and did group things with friends that were active. Volunteering to help the community would be healthful and character building. Cooking fast food at home by switching to better ingredients would cut calories that he's not even aware of. Lifestyle change can manage those genetic predispositions. The American diet accelerates craving the worst food choices. Even if you pay more for better food, you will be eating less so it evens out. I call it the economy diet and think about how much money I save losing weight. If he wants to quit in a week, tell him he can't quit until he commits to something else active. His choice.