Halloween Etiquette

Options
TKelly06
TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
Question, what do you do when you have 12 year old kids, and a 6 year old knock on your door but don't say Trick or Treat?

I stood there for like 5 seconds then finally their parents said, "What do you say?"

Hubby said I should have just given candy and not waited....what do you think?

Replies

• MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If it's an older child.... then yes, you should wait or politely ask "What do you say?"
    If it's a younger child.... probably 8 or younger.... I would give them some wiggle room because some kids are shy especially around strangers...
  • TKelly06
    Options
    Yes, I definitely give wiggle room for the smaller ones, but when you are old enough to know what to say...
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just give them the candy cuz I want them to go away as fast as possible.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    aww give the little cuties some candy!!! They've been taught not to talk to strangers and now suddenly it's ok to go randomly knocking on everyone's door! They're probably just shell shocked!!
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options

I agree with this. We shut our lights off at 9pm & the quicker I can get this holiday over, the better.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I never thought about it. I just give them candy when I open the door and see kids standing there.

And at the end of the night I put the candy in a big bowl on the front step and all of it gets taken by the next set of teenagers that pass by.
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just posted this response to another Halloween topic:

(Obviously this is on the parents' shoulders to teach their kids or go with them to the doors, can't expect 4 year olds to know this stuff.)

1. Teach your kids to take one piece, unless the candy-giver specifies otherwise. It's so rude to take whole handful.

2. Say Thank You! The candy might be free to you but someone paid for it. People who have busier TOT neighborhoods may spend upwards of $20 on candy!

3. In my town there is a two hour time frame for TOT. Don't come an hour early or late. Not cool.

4. One knock or doorbell ring is sufficient. Trust me, I hear you.

5. Never ever ever EVER say "Ew I don't like this candy." This needs no further explanation.

I really do love Halloween and passing out candy, I just wish parents would take the time to teach their kids a few manners before sending them out. Obviously kids will be kids, but it's still important to be polite.

....And as for older kids/teenagers/college kids trick or treating: Give 'em a break. Who doesn't like free candy? As long as they're dressed up and polite, who cares? I went trick or treating last year in full costume at 19. Most people were humored and cut me some slack. Happy Halloween!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Tonight, a lot of creatures may visit your door. Be open minded. The child who is grabbing more than one piece of candy might have poor fine motor skills. The child who takes forever to pick out one piece of candy might have motor planning issues. The child who does not say "trick or treat" or "thank you" might be painfully shy, non-verbal, or selectively mute. If you cannot understand their words, they may struggle with developmental apraxia of speech. They are thankful in their hearts and minds. The child who looks disappointed when he sees your bowl might have a life-threatening allergy. The child who isn't wearing a costume at all might have Sensory Processing Disorder or autism. And as we all know, the child who is rolling their eyes at you may have Tourette's Syndrome. Be kind, be patient, smile. It's everyone's Halloween. Make a parent feel good by making a big deal of their special child. Please share and remind others

This is my opinion. other than that be nice. Its a kids day.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I just put the bowl on the front porch and let them help themselves. It avoids the awkwardness, and I'm not tempted to eat it. Its a win-win situation :P
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think they should say trick-or-treat. Seems kind of awkward for them to just stand there haha.
    I don't think I'd push them though. I'd just give them the candy so they can leave.
  • TKelly06
    Options
    Just to be clear, I am talking about older kids who have been going out on Halloween for years, probably. Not the little ones, heck with them, they get pick their own candy! :)
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Tonight, a lot of creatures may visit your door. Be open minded. The child who is grabbing more than one piece of candy might have poor fine motor skills. The child who takes forever to pick out one piece of candy might have motor planning issues. The child who does not say "trick or treat" or "thank you" might be painfully shy, non-verbal, or selectively mute. If you cannot understand their words, they may struggle with developmental apraxia of speech. They are thankful in their hearts and minds. The child who looks disappointed when he sees your bowl might have a life-threatening allergy. The child who isn't wearing a costume at all might have Sensory Processing Disorder or autism. And as we all know, the child who is rolling their eyes at you may have Tourette's Syndrome. Be kind, be patient, smile. It's everyone's Halloween. Make a parent feel good by making a big deal of their special child. Please share and remind others

While I respect those possibilities, 99% of the time they are not the case.... I'm not some scrooge who throws the candy at the kids and slams the door. I just think kids are never to young to start learning to be polite.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I just give it. I don't stand on ceremony.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

i like it
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Beautifully said :)
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I agree with this. We shut our lights off at 9pm & the quicker I can get this holiday over, the better.

LIKE!!!!!!
  • TKelly06
    Options
    I just posted this response to another Halloween topic:

(Obviously this is on the parents' shoulders to teach their kids or go with them to the doors, can't expect 4 year olds to know this stuff.)

1. Teach your kids to take one piece, unless the candy-giver specifies otherwise. It's so rude to take whole handful.

2. Say Thank You! The candy might be free to you but someone paid for it. People who have busier TOT neighborhoods may spend upwards of $20 on candy!

3. In my town there is a two hour time frame for TOT. Don't come an hour early or late. Not cool.

4. One knock or doorbell ring is sufficient. Trust me, I hear you.

5. Never ever ever EVER say "Ew I don't like this candy." This needs no further explanation.

I really do love Halloween and passing out candy, I just wish parents would take the time to teach their kids a few manners before sending them out. Obviously kids will be kids, but it's still important to be polite.

....And as for older kids/teenagers/college kids trick or treating: Give 'em a break. Who doesn't like free candy? As long as they're dressed up and polite, who cares? I went trick or treating last year in full costume at 19. Most people were humored and cut me some slack. Happy Halloween!

Thank you for posting that, I've even had kids not dressed up that say Trick Or Treat. I even had one say, "only on piece?" Hehe
    In my neighborhood growing up, the neighborhood kids went trick or treating up until middle 20's I only knew cause I went to school with em hehe
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I try to coax the little ones into saying 'trick or treat' but I don't insist on it. Some kids are shy, and some are so young they're non-verbal. I'll always give them candy. Case in point - I take the candy out of the bowl and hand it to them, or put it in their bag or pumpkin that they're carrying. No one gets to grab a whole handful!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I just put the bowl on the front porch and let them help themselves. It avoids the awkwardness, and I'm not tempted to eat it. Its a win-win situation :P

This is what I did. Oh well if the first kid takes it all.
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have to say I think the whole concept of "Halloween Etiquette" is a bit of an oxymoron.So you're fine with the concept of little kids dressing up in all kinds of hideous costumes & begging on your doorstep for candy...but you want them to use their manners??!! I'm pretty sure the grim reaper doesn't have any manners. Not sure that Halloween is the ideal occasion for attempting to instill good values in children!!