An important question for Canadians.

Options
stephdeeable
stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
Am I the only one who gets mad when spell check tells me I've spelled favourite, colour, honour...etc, wrong. Um, No Internet spelling robot, don't even go there.

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    By the looks of all these comments...Yep.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Centre?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

I cannot be alone in my rage.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I cannot be alone in my rage.

Can too! You're like, the Canadian Hulk :tongue:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Right click. Add to dictionary. Problem solved.

I can't imagine the rage you would have if you worked in a field that uses a lot of technical jargon that's not in the standard dictionary. I would be scared for those around you. :tongue:
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    In FireFox you can install a British English dictionary and be happy
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Not just Canadians - I think it's pretty much all of the English speaking world except the US. We all manage to put a "u" in colour, except the US, who seem to have a need to be different. It really makes me wonder what a poor impression of the US population someone must have had, to feel the need to change the spellings of so many words to make them easier.

I don't get mad about it though, it's slightly annoying but I can live with it.
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Haha! I chuckled when I read your post. I am glad I am not alone!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Fibre.
    litre
  • sweetpeaz12345
    sweetpeaz12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Cheque irritates me lol..
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm American and live in Canada for over 5 years and counting. It doesn't bother me. I usually use Canadian spelling because it is where I am, but occasionally use American spelling if I am speaking to an American group. I work in the theatre, use a lot of humour, and dance at a lot of dance centres, so it does come up a lot for me to choose which spelling based on where the dance theatre group centre is and especially when asking questions about a cheque or the colour of the costumes, etc.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    It's annoying when I'm writing a large amount of text and there are red lines on the document because of the difference in Canadian and American spelling. But as for reading it and such, it doesn't bother me at all.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Not just Canadians - I think it's pretty much all of the English speaking world except the US. We all manage to put a "u" in colour, except the US, who seem to have a need to be different. It really makes me wonder what a poor impression of the US population someone must have had, to feel the need to change the spellings of so many words to make them easier.

we just like to improve on everything the English did. :)
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As an editor living in Canada, YES I find it annoying as well.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

It's actually a really interesting bit of trivia- It can pretty much be traced back singlehandedly to Noah Webster (of Webster's dictionary fame). In his eyes, it was a 'nationalistic' effort to streamline and reform the English language- it was intentional to set the US apart from England. I don't remember all the specifics, but somehow eliminating U's and E's and other silent letters was more 'efficient', or something. He was really obsessed with it.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm American and live in Canada for over 5 years and counting.

Me too! I don't use those lousy Canadian spellings though.

Also, it's "soda." Yeah, I said it! :wink:
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's actually a really interesting bit of trivia- It can pretty much be traced back singlehandedly to Noah Webster (of Webster's dictionary fame).

Not single-handedly. Melvil Dewey (father of the Dewey Decimal System) also had a big part to play with streamlining the language. Although he took it pretty far -- he wanted to say 'loj' for 'lodge,' for example. That's just nuts!
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Good old Ben Franklin also tried to get thru for through and tho for though, but those didn't stick. Well, at least not until everyone started texting!
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Not really, I deal with companies all around the world and they don't really pay much attention and neither do I. Lol I am just happy if the response back is in 'english' and not google translate English.