Subway - the KNIFE and other disgusting practices

Options

Replies

• JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    How do you uptight people live thru the day? By taking handfuls of anxiety pills, I guess. Trash hole? Do you think they are putting used diapers in there? They are pushing bread crumbs and spinach in there that hasn't been touched by human hands yet. And you want them to use a new knife on every sandwich? Really?

I love how people think this is how fast food gets made. THIS IS HOW ALL FOOD GETS MADE. Even in your own homes. Do you think your mom used a fresh knife on your PB&J sandwich after she cut your brother's? Good luck at Thanksgiving.

Can one of you alarmists please stop by your local ER and count how many people are there because of Subway, McDonalds or any other food place before you panic?

First of all, "Mom" is not serving the general public; thus, she does not have to adhere to the same laws of quality standards for food prep set forth by the FDA. Secondly, a mom would know her own children's allergies. Not so with restaurants.

Lastly, I used to work in an ER, and you'd be surprised at how many food allergy cases come in on a DAILY basis.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    oh, in the uk, they have squeezy sauce bottles, the knife only gets used to cut the breads.....

Very glad to hear that!
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat Subway if it were my only option. I'd rather go hungry until I can get some real food. That said, it's unfair to single out Subway like others have said. This type of thing goes on all the time in many places. What might be a decent, clean place today may be different tomorrow when the staff changes. Some people just don't give a rip what they're doing to your food.

I have to be careful in my own kitchen when we have company...it's not unlike us to double dip, lick the knife, and rinse something that's dropped on the floor and use it. (Three second rule!)

Bon Appetit! :drinker:
  • bragaswag
    Options
    At the end of the line - when they have all the glop on your sandwich (note here - I despise mayonnaise and most dressings) they need to fold the sandwich up so they reach for - the KNIFE. The knife that is dripping with mayo and other dressings from the last 50 sandwiches they've made that day. They lay it on your sandwich to hold the toppings in place, fold over the top, and extract the knife such that those remnants get scraped onto your pristine, veggie patty, pepperjack on wheat sub with everything but cucumbers and carrots and a touch of red salsa sub.

The other thing that disgusts me - the server standing there, waiting for the next sandwich on the assembly line. They are wearing those plastic gloves - for our protection I presume - and they proceed to wipe the counter and push leftover stuff into the trash hole using just the glove, then turn to you and ask what you'd like on your sandwich.

I'm sure much worse happens behind the scenes at a McDonalds, Hardees, etc. but it's 1) not where you can see it, and 2) I don't eat at those meat-factories.
    Wow, can you write my english papers for me? My professor loves detailed words and yours are a really good choice loll
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have not eaten Subway in months, and really had no plan to ever again. Now I definitely do not want it again. ;/
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    How do you uptight people live thru the day? By taking handfuls of anxiety pills, I guess. Trash hole? Do you think they are putting used diapers in there? They are pushing bread crumbs and spinach in there that hasn't been touched by human hands yet. And you want them to use a new knife on every sandwich? Really?

I love how people think this is how fast food gets made. THIS IS HOW ALL FOOD GETS MADE. Even in your own homes. Do you think your mom used a fresh knife on your PB&J sandwich after she cut your brother's? Good luck at Thanksgiving.

Can one of you alarmists please stop by your local ER and count how many people are there because of Subway, McDonalds or any other food place before you panic?

First of all, "Mom" is not serving the general public; thus, she does not have to adhere to the same laws of quality standards for food prep set forth by the FDA. Secondly, a mom would know her own children's allergies. Not so with restaurants.

Lastly, I used to work in an ER, and you'd be surprised at how many food allergy cases come in on a DAILY basis.

Just wanted to comment in this as my son has a serious allergy. Although I would LOVE it if I felt I could trust any restaurant/fast food outlet to serve their food in a way that doesn't endanger him, basically over the last few years I've come to accept that they don't really care much about that, to be honest. Mostly we eat the food which I cook at home. When we do go out, we take a 'calculated risk' by taking him to certain places (with epipens on hand) after first checking their websites and have to trust that what we don't see in the kitchen doesn't contaminate otherwise safe foods. Other people's houses are often just as bad! Otherwise we'd have to live in a bubble :)
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    I try not to watch. I'm running out of places to eat. At Taco Bell I heard a disgruntled employee pooped in the beans. Pizza Hut had moldey green meat they just mixed with good meat. FKC people bathed in the sink where they prepare the food and I can just go on and on...
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    oh, in the uk, they have squeezy sauce bottles, the knife only gets used to cut the breads.....

Same here. I think those "practices" depends on the Subway you are in. I've never seen anyone wipe down the counter while wearing the gloves. At my Subway, they always put on new gloves before making the sandwich.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Think of all the meat you eat. Then think of meat processing plants and slaughterhouses and what you don't know about those places!
    You think that's gross, so you went vegetarian or vegan...

What about the crap load of pesticides on the fruits and veggies that you buy from your grovcery store..you think thats gross, so you went organic?

Well, wake up, because you don't know how many tons of manure were poured onto your organic strawberries and mushrooms ;)

Stop being so germ-o-phobic, food comes from the earth. Just be reasonably diligent without going overboard.

This also! People are so paranoid about germs. Hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE, washing hands over and over and over throughout the day. A little bit of germs isn't a horrible thing. Your body is designed to fight them, when you over-sanitize, it makes you prone to being sick. My best friends mom is a nurse, and a major germaphobe. My best friend was constantly sick as a child, like missed 1/3 of the school year kind of sick, because every time she sneezed, her mom was lysol-ing the house and filling her up with anti-biotics.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Sometimes eating at home can be gross too. I am constantly wiping down my counters. But as a Mom of kids you never know what is put on the counter. I have seen my kids put a utensil in the sink and then get it out and reuse it. I also make sure my cutting boards are always put in the dishwasher. I constantly using new Dish rags as well. Just the thought of it laying on the sink and then touching the counters it disgusting to me. I have seen my kids drop something on the floor and then wipe it up with the rag then put it back on the sink. My husband is a strict vegeterian so he has his own pans, cutting board. He once suggested his own silver ware and that is something I said I wouldn't do for him. I have been at relatives or friends house and they aren't any cleaner. Hopefully I didn't gross anybody out.
  • S1NN3R
    S1NN3R Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Now I want to watch "Waiting". LOL
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I work at subway, and though some of my other employees do this. I completely understand being a fitness enthusiast and just a clean person in general. I go through about 100 knives or more through out the day and always change my gloves and wash my hands after each customer no matter how long it takes. Some customers in the line find it annoying though. that being said I will encourage other employees to do the same more often:).

I did this as well when I use to work at Subway
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I've got to go with this too. Unless you've got specific food allergies, you gotta relax a bit or only eat food you prepare with your own hands (assuming you learn and adhere to all the correct practices).
  • lovedogslovecats
    lovedogslovecats Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in Tennessee and every Subway I've ever visited uses the squeeze bottles for condiments, too. Who'd have thought that us hillbillies would be on the cutting edge of sanitation? Anyway, and maybe someone else has already pointed this out & I missed it, but at least at Subway everything's out in the open. What about what you DON'T see at every other fast food restaurant, or any restaurant, for that matter?
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, if you're overly concerned about sanitation I wouldn't suggest fast food.

I couldn't agree more !
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, if you're overly concerned about sanitation I wouldn't suggest fast food.

This is what I was thinking the whole time I read this thread..I'm completely and thoroughly grossed out right now! Ugghh..
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I think the worlds gone mad sometimes....

Everything is so PC....
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

I've got to go with this too. Unless you've got specific food allergies, you gotta relax a bit or only eat food you prepare with your own hands (assuming you learn and adhere to all the correct practices).

^^^all of this^^^

People just need to calm the F*** down. If sanitation was such a paramount concern to you, you would take the hours waited in the week waiting in line at places like subway and invest it in making and packing your own lunches, and please don't vomit out all your lame excuses why you can't do this, I have heard them all before and assure you they are all stupid
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    There are probably more people there that had aneurysms from watching them wipe the knife on a paper towel that had been exposed to the air. The AIR for chrissakes! Do you know how many contagions are in the AIR at Subway?
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    At the end of the line - when they have all the glop on your sandwich (note here - I despise mayonnaise and most dressings) they need to fold the sandwich up so they reach for - the KNIFE. The knife that is dripping with mayo and other dressings from the last 50 sandwiches they've made that day. They lay it on your sandwich to hold the toppings in place, fold over the top, and extract the knife such that those remnants get scraped onto your pristine, veggie patty, pepperjack on wheat sub with everything but cucumbers and carrots and a touch of red salsa sub.

The other thing that disgusts me - the server standing there, waiting for the next sandwich on the assembly line. They are wearing those plastic gloves - for our protection I presume - and they proceed to wipe the counter and push leftover stuff into the trash hole using just the glove, then turn to you and ask what you'd like on your sandwich.

I'm sure much worse happens behind the scenes at a McDonalds, Hardees, etc. but it's 1) not where you can see it, and 2) I don't eat at those meat-factories.

What is more disgusting, the Knife or a " veggie patty, pepperjack on wheat sub with everything but cucumbers and carrots and a touch of red salsa sub"?

Acg, you totally read my mind!