Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Define crossfit
  • rachyedwards
    Options
    Define crossfit
    Squats, power cleans, deadlifts, box jumps, jump rope, push ups, pull ups, leg lifts, and a lot more.
    All cardio based
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Define crossfit
    Around here it's a basically a strength endurance program. Most people I know who do it have stopped and switched to lifting heavy, you won't get big doing crossfit. I focases on doing a ton of reps with little or no rest time, usually a timed event where you lift a certain number of reps in a small window of time, combined with some running at times. Not a good program for my particular goals...you can get pretty lean doing it. 90% of crossfiters are paleo which may help in that regard.
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes. There are people on here that CF. I do at home although I have a good relationship with the local box. You might find a lot of negative comments about it on here. There is a Group I belong to called Crossfit Love where you can talk CF and ask plenty of questions.
  • britishbcat
    Options
    Everyone I know that does crossfit is ripped. they look super fit.

However, most of them are also injured, or have been along the way. So I'm not convinced.

I've done several crossfit intro sessions at various gyms and like the workout, however at a relatively beginner (or maybe intermediate) stage, I think a bootcamp would achieve the same results without all of the crazy lifting etc.

To me, crossfit workouts start to differ from bootcamp type workouts at only the very advanced level.
  • Plates559
    Options
    Define crossfit
    Squats, power cleans, deadlifts, box jumps, jump rope, push ups, pull ups, leg lifts, and a lot more.
    All cardio based

That just sounds like exercise, in that case yes I exercise
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Define crossfit
    All cardio based

Right, but add in a stopwatch to your routine and now you're doing cross-fit. At least that's how I see it.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Define crossfit
    All cardio based

Hahaha
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i do. just started. i'm missing my heavy weights though, so i dont know how long i'll stick with just crossfit. i might end up doing 2 days heavy lifting and 1 day crossfit

also crossfit is about developing fitness in multiple areas, so it's not just box jumps, wall balls, jump rope etc. you're supposed to develop things like speed, strength, stamina, power, endurance, flexibility etc so the workouts are all kind of mixed up
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahha.

crossfit excites me.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    MEEEEE!!! but im injured so i'm in forced rest mode now :( cant wait to get back!!!!!
  • slimmermomma
    slimmermomma Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have done some beginner sessions - I really enjoyed it and was impressed at the workout I got in a short period of time - I didn't stick with it in the long run but I think it could be really beneficial if you are dedicated.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    MEEEEE!!! but im injured so i'm in forced rest mode now :( cant wait to get back!!!!!
    Injured doing what exactly?
  • Plates559
    Options
    Injured doing what exactly?

box jumps, don't go to her blog, she has pics its gross :sick: Stitches on the shin
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Define crossfit
    All cardio based

Well played sir, well played.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    it may be anecdotal but the injury rate does seem higher with crossfit. everyone who exercises gets a tweak here or there but it seems like those who crossfit suffer actual injuries more often. is it due to the high repetitions?
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've been doing crossfit for just about 6 months now and LOVE it!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    it may be anecdotal but the injury rate does seem higher with crossfit. everyone who exercises gets a tweak here or there but it seems like those who crossfit suffer actual injuries more often. is it due to the high repetitions?

There can be different reasons but yes probably the most dangerous thing they do is high repetition olympic style lifts in a timed setting.
  • Plates559
    Options

Eh it could be, or it could be just because crossfitters will often brag about injuries, or because CF is in the lime light. While I don't think any actual study has been done, I would assume the higher repetitions of complex lifts, while fatigued, while done under a time limit is a major factor.

But hey look at AngieCass, she got hurt just doing a box jump, not a max effort power snatch
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Define crossfit
    All cardio based

Right, but add in a stopwatch to your routine and now you're doing cross-fit. At least that's how I see it.

And that's how many noobs get injured. Attempting advanced moves with poor form in a rush to get the best time.