Running, what motivates you?!

Options
124»

Replies

• KarCrib
    KarCrib Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I run because I love running solo and feeling like nothing or no one can touch me.

I absolutely love this. Kinda made me all squishy inside. I am sitting at my desk in my office and really wish I had my gear here to get out.. but it will wait til I get home. Again, I will definitely remember this one. Awesome. Thanks!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this was already said, but go and sign up for a 5k or half marathon and follow a training schedule so you have a goal to work towards, better yet do it with a friend.
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling when I accomplish something I never thought I could or would do! Running makes me feel a sense of strength that is addictive.

Not to mention the changes it is making to my body (where did my boobs go??!!) :laugh:
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I hate running so I cycle and do spin and fight fit
  • rdennisjr
    rdennisjr Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    In no special order:

1) Food - I can eat more when I run.
    b) Zombies - first rule is cardio remember!
    5) Cheap medals prooving I paid a pile of money and then got hot and sweaty doing some particular activity.
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm almost finished with the C25K program. I still don't really -enjoy- running, but I like the way it makes my legs look...so I guess I'll keep it up. :)
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Setting goals, working towards them, achieving them and earning a little reward. Then resetting the bar higher and working to achieve that goal and earn the next reward.

Also fun gadgets! I like data and having a gadget that helps me track my mileage and obtain the goals I set out for really encourages me to run.

Lastly, it's my "Me Time". I run a household, work full-time and love a little boy and a big guy. My dance card is full. So getting out there to run is my one time just for me.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I found out someone I dislike could run way farther than me. So I wanted to do it because I have a complex.

Honestly - this is a secret motivation for me too! Whenever I think about quitting, I tell myself "so&so can do this, you sure as hell can too!!"
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I just love running. Training for a race keeps me going but I just love running and I can't find anything else that I like doing except basketball, now if someone would play basketball with me, I might run less but doubtful :-) I too ran XC in High School and my goal is to someday BEAT my fastest 5K time from way back then :-) Right now I"m about 9 minutes off :(
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    3 things:

1. Performance started to increase very quickly, so I like to reduce my time or increase the distance (and now I run like the guys I thought I would never catch up)
    2. I run in nature (driver to a forest), so the fresh air, the smell, the feeling of oxygen in the body
    3. Most of all, happy feeling during and after race

Of course I appreciate impact on my shape but I combine with many sports, so the healthy attitude is there anyway :)

By the way, running is the best sport to me to lose fat quickly...
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Dropping from a size 22 jean into a size 4. That is great motivation!

Exactly the thoughts that jumped into my head when I read the thread title. I was fat when I decided to try to start running just over two years ago, and I'm 50+ pounds lighter now. I weigh what I weighed in high school 21 years ago. That's enough motivation to make me run enough to maintain.

Developing visible abs is enough motivation to make me run a little extra, because I'm starting to see them and it makes me feel good--even if no one else ever sees 'em!

Finally.........I run because it is the only time during my day that I have ALL TO MYSELF where I make all the decisions. I decide where to run, how fast to run, how far to run, what music to listen to..............and that is my hour or so of sanity to decompress from a hectic work / school / family schedule.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    In no special order:

1) Food - I can eat more when I run.
    b) Zombies - first rule is cardio remember!
    5) Cheap medals prooving I paid a pile of money and then got hot and sweaty doing some particular activity.

Amen on the zombies point! If I can run faster than you.......you get eaten, not me!
  • tigtigs
    Options
    Love running...it's all about the personal challenge...I will be doing my 3rd marathon in Dec. and my 4th in June...I never thought I would be a marathon runner, but once you do 1 you will be addicted!!! Good luck on your new running adventure! The first 4 weeks are tough...if you can be consistent and determined to get out 3 times a week for 4 weeks, you will definitely make it past the "I can't do this" hurdle!! In the beginning, just go out and try to run for 30 minutes, don't worry about distance...just get to running without stopping for 30 minutes...once you do that, you can start putting realistic distance goals out there! And like everyone else suggested...get signed up for a 5K and have a date hanging out there for you to meet...and then go do it!!! :-)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Registering for races, especially ones that really push me both physically and mentally.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    The feeling of accomplishing something. These days I only run once a week on the treadmill at the gym but I still feel good when I complete my 6 miles.