I feel disgusting

Options

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Start focusing on your health instead of the weight. Regain that feeling of control right now and keep moving forward. Good luck.
  • spangey13
    Options
    Goodness don't let that upset you!! Look at my diary. I sneak in something naughty nearly every day.

Last night was "date night" at my house, but we were running so late to our movie that we just grabbed a burger... But it has been months since I had a burger so what harm?

Every single person on here can tell you about the times they've messed up!! Forget about it and move forward.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was wathcing my calorie intake and officiating sports and in 2 or 3 weeks I put on 2.5 pounds. I thought it was not big deal but I find myself not motivated and a putz. Lets do this, lets find a way to challenge each other. whatta ya say?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to restart this whole trying to lose weight thing. Going to have to change my ticker from 5 lbs lost to 0 lbs lost.
    I have been doing so good saying NO to junk food for the past 2 weeks...but then last night happened.

As Im sitting on my front step waiting for trick or treaters...holding a giant bowl of candy and choolate...(my weakness) I snuck a starrt burst. That star burst turned into a few mini chocolate bars, a couple of mini bags of chips and a bag of popcorn with dill pickle powder while watching a movie with hubby last night. Pretty much the same thing today. I feel gross and repulsive. Starting to think you know what....maybe Im just supposed to be fat. I have been trying for a year to lose weight but Im just stuck at the same weight and Im not blaming anyone but myself. Im so lazy, tired and exsausted. I wanna keep going but I just wanna give up and accept the reality that itll never happen.

All I ever wanted was a before and after photo like all you wonderful people on here. But I just dont think I can do it.
    LOL what a joke!
    you started in october 2012 and youve lose 5lbs?
    are you kidding?!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you know, if you completely 100% restrict yourself, you will burn out quick. two weeks without candy is obviously a great test of will power, but when presented with the temptaion, you failed. it happens.

get over it.

now what you do is you conquer your biggest hurdle. the candy. obviously you can resist it for a while. maybe buy yourself some nice cheap post-halloween candy. the mini-size. and then, at the end of every day, if you're good, and you've exercised and you stay within your daily calories, you can reward yourself with a piece or two of your favorite candy!

next step is to have a goal. honestly, wanting an after picture isn't the best goal. it's so intangible. what about doing a spartan race, or a sprint triathlon, or a 5k, or something like that? something with a time and date to be ready by, to really train for, and to have yourself tested. and the goal is to finish, and finish with a smile on your face.
  • whwalker123
    Options
    Just relax. I feel the same way when I have a bad eating day. I want to give up. I want to cry. I feel so mad at myself. But just go on a walk or do anything to make you feel better. Tomorrow is a new day and you can start over and you'll feel awesome again in no time. I always wonder WHY I do that to myself when I know how good it feels to stay on track and see the scale go down. You're not alone sweetie!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yeah - you had a bad night. Unfortunately, it happens.

But, you know what? You instantly recognized it as a lapse. OK - so be good today. Tomorrow, set out to be good. And the day after. And the day after...

It's one step/day at a time. When you fall, get your butt back up on the horse and get back at it.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Dont let one bump in the road derail you!
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Your only a quitter if you stop trying. We all have set backs and we all stumble and fall. What matters is how we pick ourselves up and learn from those mistakes and work to make them better. Stay strong and just look at each new day and a new chance to make the best choices you can.

A holiday filled with candy is not going to be easy for a lot of people, any holiday for that matter. They are days that are mostly celebrated with food! Don't beat yourself up about it, you can't change yesterday, so just keep pushing forward and it will get better :)

Good luck :)
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have lost 97lbs, and it has taken me over two and a half years. Maybe it would have taken me less if I never slipped up, but that is not reality, and I have only gotten this far because I am not going to give up, and I allow myself to have slip ups. I ate way to much candy too, but tommorow is another day! I even logged it all even though I am embarrassed by it- and I have an open diary. No matter what happens just don't give up.
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a strategy for things like Hallowe'en, birthdays, etc. That is, to do my best on all the other days (exercise if possible, and eat reasonably intelligently) and then *shamelessly indulge* on the special days. I plan for them and sorta look forward to them, feel like crap the day after and get back on the wagon.

Part of the rationale is that if I feel like crap enough, maybe I'll get it through my thick skull that it's really not worth it to pig out on chocolate & other stuff that needs to be consumed in moderation (or in my case, not at all!)

As my mom is fond of saying, "It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Years that can hurt, it's what you eat between New Year's and Christmas."
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Your "last night" happens to me 2 or 3 times a month. SO WHAT! I'm good more often than I am bad. We all slip up. Sometimes you have to just to not go crazy or feel deprived of life. You did enjoy yourself, didn't you? That's important too. It was Halloween, most of us here slipped up last night. I did, I ate candy and drank beer. Today is a new day. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and take control again. It's yours to pick up and put down whenever you like. If it'll make you feel better, do an extra bit of exercise or eat especially lean today to make up for it. No big deal!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It's ok! Today's a new day! Let today be the day you do really good! We all like you enjoy things that aren't good for us! If you lost 5 lbs in the past, you can do it again. I think once the candy is gone, it will be easier for everyone. My dad made pumpkin pie and also apple last night. He sent some home with us. Well, I had a piece of pumpkin for breakfast and had a piece of apple pie for lunch! Tomorrow will be my better day! :) Good luck to you!
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would also like to add that even after all this time I let my eating get a little out of control once in awhile still! I just try to do better the next time. Like christmas for example: 2 years ago gained 10lbs back over the holidays, last year 5lbs, this year I am shooting for 2.5lbs lol.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you give in now that hill you have to climb everyday is just going to get harder.

If what you've been doing isn't working then try something else. If your not exercising then exercise. If your not weighing and measureing your food then weigh and measure. If your walking try swimming, if your running try strength training, if your doing a dvd try a different one. If you exercise you get more calories to eat just make sure it's healthy stuff your eating. If you hate exercise find an activity that you love or bribe yourself into doing it.

If your doing all the right stuff and it isn't working then see a doctor or a nutritionist. Just don't let them give you pills or fad diets.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    relapse is a part of recovery.

:heart:

and OP - *hug* because it sounds like you need one.

You can't let those kinds of thoughts get to you. We all have them. You will be strong if you choose to be strong for yourself.

Don't let it get you down for good. You know what you need to do, just make it as easy for yourself as possible. One thing at a time, right?

ALL of this. Remember that his a journey, not a destination. That goal number stares you in the face, and the road seems long and impossible. But life happens, and you have kids, responsibilities. Figure out 1 day at a time, keep marching forward, and don't flog yourself so hard for those days that you are human.

The harder you flog, the more likely you are to stop moving. I've BEEN there. I'm good at punishing, not so good at realizing I've made progress. Take photos along the way, don't focus on the number so much, and focus on how you feel (fit, strong, energized).

P.S. It took me 9 months to lost 20 lbs. And some days, I still feel like I haven't gotten anywhere. But then I pull out pictures, remember what my workouts were a 2 years ago, and do a little happy dance. I'm fitter at 41 than I was at 31.

HUGS.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are a lovely young lady and already look like you are at a healthy weight. Try sticking with your calorie goals for a month without climbing on a scale. I'm sure you'll get good results.

In the meantime, try to figure out why a awesome young lady has such low self esteem. I don't know if there's a website better than MFP for that, I do know that's the real issue.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you don't believe in yourself that you can do it, then I promise you that you never will.

Personally, I think you are probably doing this wrong. You are probably eating a far too restrictive diet for you to maintain for the rest of your life, and as a result, you can't maintain your will power. I have an 'indulgence' section in my diary. Whenever I have a craving for something less than nutritious (because I refuse to refer to any food as 'bad' or 'unhealthy') then I have a small amount and I log it so I can see just how much of my daily calories I lost to it. Then, I can plan the rest of my meals for the day accordingly.

If you want to give up, then give up. But if you don't want to give up, and what you are doing isn't working for you, then try something different. There is more than one way to obtain a healthy weight.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    been there done that. I bought candy two weeks ago because it was on sale. Guess what it made it 3 days in my house! I realized its a temptation I cant stay away from so Halloween night I went to the store right before trick or treat time and bought candy. Stuff I didnt care for. Then I went and ran while my son handed out candy. You have to learn these little ways to deal with your weaknesses. Dont put yourself in that position anymore. You can do this its a life long journey not a race with a finish line. Chin up
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I don't really have anything better to say that wasn't already said. You had one bad night, make today a good day, and don't try to think past today in terms of your weight loss because it can become overwhelming. Track your food. If you have a slip-up, make it fit into your day and skip something else later, or make up for it the next day, or go for a run and work it off. I used to stand in front of the cabinet with a container of whatever and just mindlessly eat, so I had to put stickies on boxes of things with my name in a red circle with a line through it, and horrible pics of myself taped inside the cabinet doors so I would remember why I need to stay out until I knew I was in control. I eat ice cream almost every day, weighed on a digital scale, because my eyeballs are big fat liars. You don't have to eat like a rabbit. Keep tracking, and keep moving forward. xx