Why won't I exercise?

Options

Replies

• msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Exercising with my husband and friends has helped me make it a part of my regular routine. Maybe find some yoga classes, or zumba, or find a friend who wants to make walking a regular part of the routine?
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am hopeless at exercise! I really struggle to find any motivation, especially after a long day at work ( though I can't really use that excuse at weekends and I struggle just as much then!) I find seeing the updates of friends burning loads of calories doing what I could and should be doing very helpful, and the support on here is great. Anyone can add me, I log in every day! :-)
  • grannylittle
    Options
    That is good idea do not sit down until you got in 15 minutes of walking...
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Think of the amazing feeling you gain after you workout.. that's plenty of motivation for me.
  • kalimay2
    kalimay2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    An at home DVD exercise program worked for me. I did P90X and it has a different workout scheduled every day for 6 days a week.
    It helped keep me on track so I wouldn't get behind on the schedule. After a couple of weeks, it became habit. It helped to have a workout partner motivate me on days when I didn't feel like doing it.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. And I never thought I'd ever say that I would enjoy it and look forward to it. But it took just doing it awhile to get there. When you get to the point where you really really want it, you will do it. I also recommend doing it first thing in the morning. But I don't let that be an excuse any more if I miss the morning for some reason, then I do it at night.

I started doing mine in the morning to end my "I don't have time" excuse. I also use that on mornings "Chubbers" is putting on her good argument of demotivation. I just remind myself of everything I have to do after work and "so this is it, I'm up, get to it".
  • skinnyginny83
    skinnyginny83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have used the excuse lately that I dont have time to exercise because I have 4 kids under the age of ten and I am too busy with all of their stuff. Well I began to realize that was a bunch of bologna. I love spending time with my kids so we all exercise together. They love Zumba for the wii. Maybe try finding something you like to do and then it wont feel like exercise.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Long cardio workouts are great if you have the time - you start to crave the endorphins after awhile and your body almost forces you to get out and race your heart.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself to running shoes, sports bra, cute workout top, anything that will get you in them!

i agree with this. in the beginning, it helped me take my exercise more seriously when i put on my exercise "uniform."
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Do you have any friends that exercise maybe you could join a class with a friend to help motivate each other to show up!
  • clvautour
    clvautour Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You have to find something you love. like the YMCA hot or warm water pool. Then instead of going right home after work you can stop at the YMCA for a hour of exercise in the warm water with a personal trainer it there is no class at that time. You would have to hire the personal trainer and so it would make you show up. Even once a week is good.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm far from an expert, but this is what I suggest.

#1. Assess what you like to do. I love dancing, and I have dancing video games that are great for doing indoors - and they're FUN! #2. The hardest part is just getting started. I've been at this for 3 months, and it's still the hardest part for me. I tell myself I'll do it for 10 minutes and then reassess. Ten minutes in, I know I can do more, so I say just 5 more minutes. Then I do it again, and again, and again! Before you know it, I've worked out for 45-60 minutes.
    #3. Take it slow. You want to be fit and healthy, and that's going to take time. I workout next to a woman in her 60's or 70's several days a week. She said when she started walking, she could only do 10 minutes at 2.0 mph. Now, six months later, she's walking 3.9 mph on a 10% incline for an hour. She's living proof that small steps really add up.

Only you have the power to make changes to your health. When you're truly ready, you'll do it. I know you can! :happy:
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with many of the other posters, I was actually surprised that so many people thought the same way I do! When I can't get motivated, I just have to get myself to START working out, I don't look any further ahead than the next 20 seconds or so. And once I get started, I figure out that that's all I needed! I've never quit during a work out, no matter how lazy I was feeling before I started, and it's an amazing feeling when you're done :D
  • B7UTO
    B7UTO Posts: 3
    Options
    Yep exercise is Boring.....here's what I do...pick a tv show, preferably a series, and only watch it when you are exercising. You get into the show, you want to go exercise to see the next episode. I'm getting the the end of the third season of Dexter...stupid show but strangely addictive! Makes it easier if you have netflix on an iPad. Helped me get fit over the last 3 months and drop 16 pounds. After a while exercise gets addictive too.....good luck
  • MonkeeAnne
    MonkeeAnne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I have zero motivation to work out. So far I have worked out 2x this week and it's already Thursday. I have to remind myself what my end goal is! I WANT to lose weight and it isn't going to fall off by itself! If you want a friend to help motivate you... I could use the same!
  • kerinmonaco06
    Options
    Most of the posts give really great feedback. Have you tried zumba? You feel like you are having fun as opposed to working out. I find it hard not to be motivated to go to a zumba class. For days when I can't make it to a class, I put the Zumba pandora station on and it definitely pumps me up.

Congrats on your 19 lbs! That's fabulous!
  • siannyeah
    Options
    Well done for your weight loss already!
    I've just started exercising at the gym and, although it was terrible for the first 20 minutes, the second I got out I was buzzing and planning when I'm next going!
    I think sometimes you just have to put up with it and push yourself because, you never know, you might love it once you get into it!
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Find something you love. For me it was Jazzercise. I started taking classes 9 years ago and have been teaching it for 7 1/2. Through two pregnancies (and the recovery from same) and a bunch of other stresses, it has been my go-to therapy because I love it. It does not even feel like exercise any more, as much as just something I love and a huge part of my life. Cranking up the music, working up a killer sweat and pushing myself until I can't do one more repetition is something that makes me HIGH. Finding what you love to do makes ALL the difference.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of having weightloss or numerical goals, try having exercise goals for a week and see how that goes? Also, get someone else in on it. It's just the getting to the gym or the park that's usually difficult, I'm sure once you're there you'll be fine and happy to work out!
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to be exercising but I have NO MOTIVATION to do it.

You are lazy

Unfortunately I agree. :(
    I found it very aggravating to read your post. There's no magic exercise or magic pill to make a person want to do something they obviously really don't want to do.
    10 months ago I hired a personal trainer bc I knew if I wasn't paying someone, and felt the financial kick in the butt that I wouldn't go. I was also at a point where I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. My motivation comes from within. Everyone has to find it and some of us need to dig deeper than others. good luck!